The Purcell effect

For particle physicists whose entire standard model assumes that decay rates cannot be influenced by external factors, the Purcell effect is a puzzle.

The Purcell effect is the enhancement of a quantum system's spontaneous emission rate by its environment. In the 1940s Edward Mills Purcell discovered the enhancement of spontaneous emission rates of atoms when they are incorporated into a resonant cavity. It has nothing to do with radioactive decay rate and its theory is elaborated well.

• The Purcell effect is the enhancement of a quantum system's spontaneous emission rate by its environment. In the 1940s Edward Mills Purcell discovered the enhancement of spontaneous emission rates of atoms when they are incorporated into a resonant cavity. It has nothing to do with radioactive decay rate and its theory is elaborated well.

Just to elaborate. Axil, the reasons rates get enhanced in this way is not some obscure bit of particle physics but instead central to the core ideas of QM. Resonant cavities alter the probabilities because they provide a greater density of final states. It is pure Maths that if there are N ways for A to happen, and N' ways for B to happen, then N >> N' means A is a lot more likely than B.

• The only link you have given supports my previous post, and has no relation to your statements. Specifically, in a resonant cavity, because of the Purcell effect, decay can be enhanced. Perhaps you'd like to be more precise in the factual claims that you think massive (or even normal) intellects need to explain?

It might help you if I point out that physics is full of real mysteries; one reason I find it fascinating.

It is a pity that useful for energy production reactions tend not to be spontaneous gamma emission. Otherwise using the correct dielectric environment would be a great rate of boosting (even of dynamically changing) the power/weight ratio of nuclear power sources as used in space probes. Or maybe there is such a useful reaction? On second thought I think you'd have a problem with energy density since these gamma emissions come from these relatively low energy nuclear transitions, but I have not done the maths.

• The only link you have given supports my previous post, and has no relation to your statements. Specifically, in a resonant cavity, because of the Purcell effect, decay can be enhanced. Perhaps you'd like to be more precise in the factual claims that you think massive (or even normal) intellects need to explain?

It might help you if I point out that physics is full of real mysteries; one reason I find it fascinating.

It is a pity that useful for energy production reactions tend not to be spontaneous gamma emission. Otherwise using the correct dielectric environment would be a great rate of boosting (even of dynamically changing) the power/weight ratio of nuclear power sources as used in space probes. Or maybe there is such a useful reaction? On second thought I think you'd have a problem with energy density since these gamma emissions come from these relatively low energy nuclear transitions, but I have not done the maths.

I don't see any answers, just bloviation..

• Why does radioactive decay stop in the LENR reaction?

Why do only left handed particles decay and right handed particles don't?

axil : You are confusing facts and ask the wrong questions! Nobody never did prove that "radioactive decay stops in the LENR reaction".

The second question must be asked in a different way: Why can we only see "left handed particles decay"!...may be all are left handed...

• axil : You are confusing facts and ask the wrong questions! Nobody never did prove that "radioactive decay stops in the LENR reaction".

The second question must be asked in a different way: Why can we only see "left handed particles decay"!...may be all are left handed...

Some attempts at answering. Try for more. Why does radioactive decay be made to increase?

• Axil,

Can I suggest you stop classifying the (well understood) Purcell Effect as bloviation and read a few papers (some selected below) on how and why it works? That would answer your repeated questions.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/0910.3981.pdf

https://journals.aps.org/prl/a…03/PhysRevLett.112.016401

https://journals.aps.org/prl/a…03/PhysRevLett.112.016401

And as for your other statements here, if you provide specific observations (with links to papers giving details) that you think are mysteries and not properly predicted by physics we could all comment.

• light-matter coupling is another name for polaritons. The provided references did not explicitly refer to the word polaritons in optical cavities but these references imply that the Purcell Effect is directly associated with polaritons. Search google for the connection between the Purcell Effect and polaritons, you will find a ton of associated references.

Polaritons produce the Purcell Effect.

See an explanation for light matter coupling

Polaritons: light-matter coupling for new technologies

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Axil, THH & others,

According to Holmlid, ultra-dense deuterium decays via the weak force in mesons. What is surprising here is less the occurence of a weak decay - given the length and time scales at play - than the absence of the usual D-D fusion and decay via the fast strong interaction.

Does anyone know a process that could prevent the decay of an excited D-D via the strong force?

See

Center Vortex Flux Tube Interference.

The Surface Plasmon Polariton (SPP) generates a magnetic flux tube that destabilizes the quark flux tube interconnections in the nucleon. This destabilization is what generates mesons.

The SPP form in the spin wave that cover the surface of the ultra dense material.

• light-matter coupling is another name for polaritons. The provided references did not explicitly refer to the word polaritons in optical cavities but these references imply that the Purcell Effect is directly associated with polaritons.

Wrong. This is simply Your "implying".

How is this going to answer the question of JulianBianchi ???

• Official Post

I think this Purcell more effective.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.