LION-AG Experiment

• Alan Smith

Alan. Can you comment on the nature of the moment-to-moment current waveform used to drive the heater coil in the setup that LION used? On information from Engineer48, there appears to be a possibility that it is a 35KHz square wave going between 0 AMP and some non-zero instantaneous peak current. I imagine that with this scheme the average power would depend on a combination of duty cycle and the peak current. This type of input should generate a very different sequence of electromagnetic field oscillations in the reactor core than a scheme whereby most of the average power is accounted for by a dc input with superimposed small-amplitude current changes.

It would also be useful to know how similar or dissimilar the current waveform used in your own replication attempts is to LION's.

I admit that because of digitization and averaging issues I am still a little foggy on the current input being used in the AG replication.

• Official Post

I'm not sure what waveform Magicsound is using. The standard model T is supplied with a 36V 11A DC (or 36/15) PSU, which has an infinitesimal high-frequency ripple when viewed on a scope. The output from this PSU may be mediated using a PWM we supply as standard which produced a somewhat larger 15kHz ripple. I will hook a scope and see what the waveform actually looks like.

I am using this configuration, I am not sure if LION actually uses the PWM, it isn't obligatory.

• Any influence on the contents of the model T furnace from variations in the electromagnetic field created in the heating coil would be mediated by photons. Higher harmonics of the field will yield photons with higher energy (proportional to the frequency), but even at 100 MHz the energy per photon will be only 4.1E-7 eV. Such low energy levels do not even cause chemical reactions.

• Based on advice from Alan Smith, for this project I built a power system with a 36 vdc 11 amp power supply similar or identical to the one supplied by LFH to LION. The power is switched on and off by a solid state relay, controlled by a typical PID pulse output. The cycle time is 1 second for my system, and I believe 2 seconds for the PID used by LFH. I expect there will be only minimal residual ac in the power supply output, though I haven't looked with a scope.

Regarding the possible effect of the heater coil's magnetic field: based on the coil turn spacing and current, the calculated field in the mild steel rod is around 2k gauss at room temperature. However, the Curie temperature of the steel is around 5-600°C, so at operating temperature it is essentially non-magnetic and the field strength is just 20 gauss (2 mT), pretty trivial. Having said that, cycling the reactor above and below the steel Curie temp would result in a varying magnetic field in the core, and this might be a useful path to explore.

Regarding the average power calculation algorithm, I described it previously in some detail. I will make the Python source code available if someone cares to examine it to suggest improvements for the next round.

AlanG

• Thanks for running the experiments everyone. I have one question. What is the evidence that the original LION experiments showed excess heat or LENR in the first place? I read that Bob G says it was because "Strange Radiation" trails were found in both samples. However is "Strange Radiation" considered a real phenomena, even among the more open minded physicists? Is there a general understanding of what strange radiation might be (ex photons with a certain strange wavelength range, Strange Quarks, bubbles from Strange Brew, etc.)? I think it is great to run these experiments, I just wonder about the initial justification and what is so strange about the radiation.

Image result for strange brew

• Dear all,

Would like to react on the waveforms and what could happen.

In the lookingforheat Model T test kit (http://www.lookingforheat.com/…enr-test-kit-mk1-model-t/ ) the current through the heater coil is adjusted by a PWM power stage.

This type of power stage makes a lot of Electromagnetic noise (harmonics).

The temperature is controlled by a PID controller, and it will switch the PSU mains off if the temperature is reached.

The PSU voltage will not drop directly, caused by the discharging time of the PSU capacitors.

If the voltage drops, the current through the heater (and magnetic field in the reactor) will also drop.

The PWM will still work during the PSU discharge time (maybe 2-3 second) and will still produce more or less the same harmonics.

Deuterium can be activated by the Larmor frequency, for deuterium this is just 6.54 MHz/T.

I think it is possible that a harmonic of the PWM in a dropping magnetic field can hit the deuterium Lamor frequency.

This would also explain why you must cycle the heather temperature to wakeup the reaction.

Ron

• Thanks for running the experiments everyone. I have one question. What is the evidence that the original LION experiments showed excess heat or LENR in the first place? I read that Bob G says it was because "Strange Radiation" trails were found in both samples. However is "Strange Radiation" considered a real phenomena, even among the more open minded physicists? Is there a general understanding of what strange radiation might be (ex photons with a certain strange wavelength range, Strange Quarks, bubbles from Strange Brew, etc.)? I think it is great to run these experiments, I just wonder about the initial justification and what is so strange about the radiation.

Bob found some unusual markings on the carcasses of the LION 1 and 2 reactors and interpreted these as the effects of "strange radiation". I am completely unimpressed with this interpretation. Those marks could be due to all sorts of things. To single this out as "proof" of LENR activity is silly. Only when a number of successful LION replications show these markings in the active reactors but not the controls will I be convinced ... not before.

• is "Strange Radiation" considered a real phenomena, even among the more open minded physicists?

i don't know - how open-minded are you?

...from Low-energy nuclear reactions and the leptonic monopole

(Georges Lochak, Leonid Urutskoev) p10:

"Typical traces are shown in Figure 7 [...] the traces are very unusual, and because of

that the hypothetical radiation was called a ‘strange’ one"

h t t p : / / pdfs.semanticscholar.o…4cabc92354ee692e9876e.pdf

[sr]

Gie me ae spark o' nature's fire, That's a' the learning I desire

R. Burns

Edited once, last by nul-points: Added Figure 7 from the paper quoted ().

• Axil, No, I don't really trust human visual perception of artifacts in images as scientific evidence. Working in the computer vision field, sometimes directly involving human perception, I know it is flawed. Add to it that the human psychological ability to find patterns in noise, particularly if it agrees with your desires, is well known. In fact I think you "retweeted" an article about that here which I posted on ECW originally. I still think I am open minded about physics. But is there any explanation or theory about what "strange" radiation might be? And more important can it be measured?Nobody seemed to answer those questions. That seems"strange" to me. Anyhow I am mainly interested in any evidence that LION has a LENR active device, but I haven't seen evidence of that yet.

http://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/story/20150130-how-your-eyes-trick-your-mind/

• Is there a strange noise in your house?

If you cannot find out what is causing it, it must be poltergeists.

• For those still following the experiment, the programmed 50-hour temperature cycling ended with no apparent change in the reactor balance. There now seems to be a problem with the Labjack comm connection, not fixed by re-booting the system.The plotly stream would also not initialize correctly. At this point, I will take a break to sort out the problems, then resume testing tomorrow.

I've pre-programmed a few hours of temperature cycling between 600 and 900°C, which will correspond to a bit over 500-800 in the cores. On resuming the test, I'll also start an automated 10-minute cycling of the gamma spectrometer, in case anything of interest happens at the elevated temperatures.

AlanG

• Official Post

Our own experiments with the LION 'look-alike' have followed a very similar path so far. We are also running another variant using electrolytically deuterated diapads. The only thing of interest in the latter test is a modest radiation peak (2-3x background) which seems to be coincident with cooling - we are cycling this between 300-600 - the peak looks to be coincident with the 310-340C region, but mostly on the way down rather than on the way up. Since we are not yet equipped for 'livestream' data display the proof of this will have to wait until the run stops and we pull the SD card from the logger.

• Alan Smith

What detection method are you using in particular (detector type, distance from the apparatus, if other materials have been placed as a shield, etc) ?

I'm wondering if by making the cycling temperature range wider (e.g. 300–700 °C) the peak will increase accordingly.

• I've sorted out the data problems and started Phase 2 of the power cycling. The program is a 1-hour ramp up to 600°C, followed by 15 minute cycling between 600 and 900°C.

The plotly interface has also been refreshed and seems to be streaming more smoothly now.

AlanG

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.