LION-AG Experiment

• Some more questions .... I am trying to understand what is known about the status of the LION reactor.
    1) Has the MFMP group in California performed any more LION experiments following the one that ended in mid April?
    2) Has LION himself reported anomalous heat in any more of his own reactors (other than the two that he later sent to Bob Greenyer?

I can only answer the first question: in response to suggestions from E48, I rebuilt my power system to include the PWM DC chopper LION apparently uses. I published a plot of the resulting waveform and harmonics earlier in this thread. Then I ran an entire 24+ hour heat cycle and got results identical to the previous runs with the same fuel tube i.e. no excess heat or radiation above background.

I still intend to do at least one more run with my remaining 75 or so diamond discs. Those are still soaking in D2O, and will have one or more 'seed' discs from LION added, if those ever arrive in the post. I hope to do this before leaving for ICCF, and will post details here.

One more comment - Ploty discontinued their on-line live streaming feature some time last year, and finally removed the hooks in the interface so that it no longer functions at all. I'm looking into alternatives that I can host on my own server. I would appreciate input from anyone experienced in real-time data plotting from a .csv file that is being updated by Labjack's data logging.

• One more comment - Ploty discontinued their on-line live streaming feature some time last year, and finally removed the hooks in the interface so that it no longer functions at all. I'm looking into alternatives that I can host on my own server. I would appreciate input from anyone experienced in real-time data plotting from a .csv file that is being updated by Labjack's data logging.

I do not have specific knowledge or experience in real-time data plotting, but it seems that the creators of Plotly have created a framework called Dash for interactive graphing which has become relatively popular as of late.

https://plot.ly/products/dash/

https://dash.plot.ly/

https://dash.plot.ly/live-updates

A more established popular alternative appears to be one called Bokeh:

https://bokeh.pydata.org/

Comparison article:

https://blog.sicara.com/bokeh-…-alternative-c5b576375f7f

Setting these up is not going to be a plug and play task either way, but Dash seems simpler.

The most straightforward and painless thing to do would be producing static graphs with any API or programming language of choice and uploading the results onto a shared directory.

• The most straightforward and painless thing to do would be producing static graphs with any API or programming language of choice and uploading the results onto a shared directory.

Or just post periodic csv files that the community can turn into plots. We (the online community) can be Magicsound's Ploty!

• n response to suggestions from E48, I rebuilt my power system to include the PWM DC chopper LION apparently uses. I published a plot of the resulting waveform and harmonics earlier in this thread. Then I ran an entire 24+ hour heat cycle and got results identical to the previous runs with the same fuel tube i.e. no excess heat or radiation above background.

Brilliant that you took the trouble to do this.

At this point I think that LION's reports should be treated as perhaps mistaken. And for anyone who is taking Bob Greenyer's analysis of the LION 1 and LION 2 remains seriously I think a necessary step would be to replicate the reported effects by putting enough power through a dummy LION-style reactor to partially melt it. The null hypothesis of that investigations would be that the phenomena that Bob saw are due to heat and decomposition, not LENR effects.

• I posted a link to another program awhile back- still not tried it myself, but perhaps worth checking out again.

Rapidminer - Open Source Data Analysis Software

That's a very powerful and extensive platform, seems aimed at "Enterprise" applications. What I have in mind is just a Python library package to add plotting in real-time, like this one. I have the mechanism to upload onto my server pretty much in place, from the Glowstick series

• Brilliant that you took the trouble to do this.

At this point I think that LION's reports should be treated as perhaps mistaken. And for anyone who is taking Bob Greenyer's analysis of the LION 1 and LION 2 remains seriously I think a necessary step would be to replicate the reported effects by putting enough power through a dummy LION-style reactor to partially melt it. The null hypothesis of that investigations would be that the phenomena that Bob saw are due to heat and decomposition, not LENR effects.

Most assuredly we have run Lion experiments, 3 in fact, coached by Lion himself via extensive meetings in the flesh, there has been plenty of hot copper oxide chemistry going on that an hobbiest might mistake for 'melting'. To data no hint of heat inspite of many many days looking for said heat, and no radiation above the background. If was a decent refresher exercise for me getting back at the bench after too many years away. With that refresher on lab tech and manners it got me thinking on how to make Androcles which has proven to have nothing in common with Lion save both run in a "looking for heat' hot dry tube furnace experimental platform. Plenty of evidence for cold fusion is seen in the lovely gammas that continue to be observable soon after I arrive for the day at the lab bench. One aspect of that diurnal cycle is it comes soon after my morning coffee when I am able to make my old fingers fumble with the bits and pieces under my control. While the Lion in his several iterations has proven to be cold and lifeless, the Lioness and Androcles haven't always just talked while in the cave or merely tended to thorny issues, there might just be a hybrid offspring ready to emerge from the cave sometime soon ;)

• Plenty of evidence for cold fusion is seen in the lovely gammas that continue to be observable soon after I arrive for the day at the lab bench. One aspect of that diurnal cycle is it comes soon after my morning coffee when I am able to make my old fingers fumble with the bits and pieces under my control.

Having analyzed the Androcles Geiger diagram that you so generously supplied I must say that I admire the clockwork precision in the timing of "soon after my morning coffee".

• Most assuredly we have run Lion experiments, 3 in fact, coached by Lion himself via extensive meetings in the flesh, there has been plenty of hot copper oxide chemistry going on that an hobbiest might mistake for 'melting'.

The part that I took as evidence of melting n the carcass of the LION 2 reactor is the existence of a pool of solidified metal vertically below the area where the original copper windings have mostly disappeared. Also there are ares where metal has appeared to flow from the pooled area upwards around the outside of the quartz sleeve. It looks as though this was due to capillary action where iiquid metal followed the narrow space between the kanthal heating wire and the quartz sleeve. Would these effects be classed as copper oxide chemistry?

• Have a look at this excellent paper on the subject of High-Temperature Oxidation of Copper:

http://iopscience.iop.org/arti…0/RC2013v082n03ABEH004343

Ah I see! A relatively minor inclusion of some oxide with a low melting temperature can lead to large-scale oxidation of the copper. That means that replicating the LION results is impossible without knowing the details of what materials are included in the reactor and LION is not very precise on this score.

• Ah I see! A relatively minor inclusion of some oxide with a low melting temperature can lead to large-scale oxidation of the copper. That means that replicating the LION results is impossible without knowing the details of what materials are included in the reactor and LION is not very precise on this score.

Yes, and the triggering mechanism is the melting and decomposition of the oxide layer on the surface of the copper. Silver Oxide melts at around 300°C, and there was silver coating the copper wire in the LION debris, from the foil applied to the ceramic tube under the wire.

• Might I make a suggestion? Since diamond possesses pyroelectric properties some pyroelectric fusion events might be expected on increasing or decreasing the temperature in the LION experiment. Seth Puttermann's group published a paper on pyroelectric fusion using Ca titanate crystal to accelerate D ions with keV fields to fuse with target D ions, releasing measurable neutrons in Nature in 2005 (but was observed previously by some Russian scientists, I think). Anyway its not known whether this could also occur on the nanoscale level, in diamond crystals the size used in the LION experiments, but it is a possibility. This could account for neutron tracks, high temperature localized Ni spheres and the other strange structures Bob Greenyer observed in the SEMs in LION2.

So on raising the temperature at the beginning of the test run there should be a pyroelectric fusion based rise in neutron count (could this be the "strange radiation"), then cycling the temperature up and down should lead to correlated bursts on the rising and falling phases. This was (partially) observed in Alan Smith & Co's replication. Allowing the temperature to drop at the end of the experiment would also release neutron radiation, as found. Surely all we have to do now is engineer the diamond/Ni nanostucture to optimize the diamond D acceleration sites with the Ni lattice D target sites? Play around with other Pyroelectric Stuff like tourmaline/quartz/magnetite/titanates/perovskites and Bob's your uncle we might have a cold fusion system that actually works repeatably for once! -and a PS, the pyroelectric crystals are also usually ferroelectric too-so the fusion reaction could theoretically be maintained by applying a powerful AC electric field:). Hopefully somewhere along this process we'll generate energy in the form of excess heat!

• Official Post

DR,

The Lion replications failed months ago. Lion followed up by saying he may, or may not, mail a fuel cartridge this month (October) for them to try yet again. Nothing in the mail, so I think it safe to say Lion is no longer of interest, or of importance. Magic and Alan, have both put that behind them, and onto other things.

So why then, should we should be talking about Lion anymore? LENR has few researchers available as it is, without having to chase down such weak claims.

• There are only two reasons why the LION tech is interesting. First, the Model T and fuel tube that he sent Bob Greenyer sure seems to have went through heck and back ten times over. It's full of really strange anomalies -- the answers to some of which could be conventional. Secondly, the science beyond utilizing doped diamonds as negative electron affinity emitters of electrons is fascinating stuff! I don't doubt that diamond embedded in nickel could produce electron emissions. Actually, there are companies that want to concentrate solar power onto the back of panels that contain arrays of diamond emitters that would convert the heat energy to beams of electrons that would be harnessed, converted, and used to produce electrical power for the grid!

Now, the problem with LION is that if his technology did indeed work as described he has went over to the dark side. He has a really bad case of inventors syndrome. If he was open and honest, he would have allowed certain third parties to work on the bench with him to replicate his systems. Instead, it seems like he has kept some important information to himself. I don't know for sure, but I think, just like me356, he has decided to pursue financial gains from his discovery. This mean's there's a 99% chance we'll never learn the truth about his technology.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.