Mats Lewan's Cold Fusion Podcast

• Official Post

COLD FUSION NOW! has posted a new item, 'Mats Lewan on the Cold Fusion Now! podcast' on http://coldfusionnow.org

Mats Lewan on the Cold Fusion Now! podcast April 23, 2018 6:15 AM -- Mats Lewan is a science and technology journalist and author of An Impossible Invention, the true story of an Energy Source that could Change the World, a book detailing the early demonstrations of Andrea Rossi's Energy Catalyzer. He joins Ruby on the Cold Fusion Now! podcast where he discusses his assessment of the LENR. View the latest post at http://coldfusionnow.org/mats-…-cold-fusion-now-podcast/ .

• Some selected highlights:

The Penon report is valid and very credible, and the 1MW test was a success, if not 100% convincing.

The "customers" secret room in Doral was filled with some very credible innovative technology.

Abd's information about Rossi is based on a series of assumptions that aren't true.

Mats is keeping an open mind that Rossi could either be mistaken or a fraudster... So far he hasn't found any information which confirms either case.

But Mats also says it's a waste of time reading information about Rossi, because "if some of it can be debunked, potentially all of it can be". Although he is definitely keeping an open mind as to the possibility of fraud, just to be safe.

Rossi is convinced the QuarkX will be ready this year... And Mats says Rossi has nothing to gain from telling him this.

And even though the Stockholm demo/DPS wasn't convincing, Mats still considers the QuarkX viable, and thinks the only way it can be ready this year is if Rossi really has discovered 'the key' to the reaction.

• Zeus46

I find funny that by reversing your highlights from Lewan's interview (turning the positives into negatives and vice-versa) a more credible-sounding assessment of Rossi's progress with his work—at least from a third-person perspective—appears to arise.

• Hi Can, do you mean something like:

“The Penon report is invalid and not credible, and the 1MW test was a failure, if not 100% unconvincing.” ...?

As an aside, I was surprised at a few of the leaps in logic, so tried to capture them as verbatim as possible.

• Zeus46

Exactly, something along those lines; of course it cannot be applied to 100% of the wording without it turning odd but in the example above it seems to work well for the most part.

I recall reading that this technique is sometimes used professionally to analyze how credible one's statements are, but I don't remember the context or if it has a specific name.

Anyway, if anything it shows that Mats Lewan might be trying too hard making Rossi look good over what happened so far.

• Mats has clearly lost contact with reality.

I love that he will no longer read stuff about Rossi because it could debunk him! Well, yes...

Of course Rossi's USP is that he can tell a good story with personal charisma aplenty to possible investors, and that requires optimism. So Mats is wrong Rossi has no motivation for his optimism about the QX. But that is not the point. Rossi's judgement of his stuff is that it all works, even where we have proof positive it does not, so how Rossi optimism could have any positive weight I cannot understand.

• My view is similar to Mats Lewan's. There is no proof that it works or that it doesn't. Like him I keep an open mind and we shall see what happens at the end of 2018. I think production the first half of 2019 more likely.

The barracuda armchair critics here are not as certain as they sound, as sen by their failure to put money where their mouths are on the recent bet. It apparently gives them pleasure to write juvenile insults rather then consider what has actually been said. Mats knows, and has met, the major players and is in a much better position to judge than the critics here.

I am giving it 10 months to find out.

Ruby Carat has had more than seven years to ferret out the truth about Rossi. She doesn't seem much closer now than she was in 2010-2011.

@Adrian Ashfield

The barracuda armchair critics here are not as certain as they sound, as sen by their failure to put money where their mouths are on the recent bet.

You're willing to bet on Rossi? Wow! Is there some way I can get in on this anonymously or even "semi" anonymously? I would bet virtually any amount against Rossi at even odds. But my conscience would suffer because it would be like stealing candy from a baby. How much do you want to bet Adrian? What are the criteria for your winning? How much of your money can I (and others) have?

• Ruby Carat has had more than seven years to ferret out the truth about Rossi. She doesn't seem much closer now than she was in 2010-2011.

As far as I know, she has not been trying to ferret out the truth about Rossi. She has not paid much attention to him.

Did she report on Rossi? Perhaps she did and I missed it.

I guess her interview of Mats Lewan is an expression of interest in Rossi. She tries to refrain from expressing her own opinions in these interviews. You should ask her directly what she thinks.

• Official Post

Ruby interviewed Rossi a few years back in his Miami Beach condo. I have not seen her defending, nor criticizing him. Playing it like a good journalist IMO.

In this Lewan interview, she asked him a question about Doral, in all it's ugliness. No punches were pulled, and she posed the question almost verbatim how Abd described it in his own interview with her.

• Mats knows, and has met, the major players and is in a much better position to judge than the critics here.

Just go back and read the speculations made 2 years ago, for instance about Rossi’s customer and the “endothermic process plant” installed in Doral, then you will see how “informed” Mats is/was:

For example:

http://e-catworld.com/2016/08/…-process-was-endothermic/

• My view is similar to Mats Lewan's. There is no proof that it works or that it doesn't. Like him I keep an open mind and we shall see what happens at the end of 2018. I think production the first half of 2019 more likely.

The barracuda armchair critics here are not as certain as they sound, as sen by their failure to put money where their mouths are on the recent bet. It apparently gives them pleasure to write juvenile insults rather then consider what has actually been said. Mats knows, and has met, the major players and is in a much better position to judge than the critics here.

Adrian: I have offered to take your money from you: the trouble is you are not willing to lose much, and as I expected we were not able to agree sensible endpoint terms.

The problem is that you (and Rossi) will not accept independent testing. While a working product would be major world news, and indisputable, Rossi claiming he has a few customers as we know from Doral means nothing. Based on how you and I interpret past data differently it is difficult to see how we could agree on an end-point criterion, even if we could agree on an arbiter.

Otherwise, That Mats has talked to everyone and been so very badly wrong in past judgements surely makes it clear he is biased and likely to be similarly wrong in future judgements?

PS - I believe Rossi is claiming his latest (EDIT scam )invention is 100% reverse-engineering proof. In that case surely he would have no excuse for not allowing independent testing? I'm happy with independent testing from a respectable institution with an academic reputation to lose, and qualified in the calorimetry needed, that is willing to publish an open report under the institution's (not just a few rogue profs) name.

Even then we would need to be careful. For example the SRI tests are highly problematic because of issues measuring power in and out with the RFI the system they measure generates. But this would not be relevant with an industrially useful system where extracted heat power out would be unambiguously much higher than electrical power in measured at mains a long way from the system.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.