How to properly treat potassium-iron oxide catalysts

  • Following other comments written elsewhere, it might be worth pointing out once again that this thread is not just original research for LENR replications. For the most part I looked for more detailed studies about the characteristics of these catalysts following Holmlid's references and pointers from his papers about them.


    Even in his latest one, Holmlid still refers to other works in the literature describing in detail the characteristics and stability of their active state. That he's been citing specifically these two papers consistently throughout the years, should suggest that perhaps the subject they cover might be crucial.




    From Meima and Menon (ref. 31):



    From Muhler et al (ref. 32), right in the introduction:



  • I think while testing with open-air electrolysis with mild steel electrodes and a KOH solution (concentration unknown, but it was relatively diluted) I might have created the elusive green KFeO2 compound described in this thread. It looks like under narrow gap electrolytic conditions it doesn't take extremely high temperatures for its formation, although it apparently involves initially quite energetic reactions (unfortunately not caught on camera).


    As described in the literature, it appears to have a short life under moist ambient air conditions. Within 30 minutes it was mostly gone, at least what was formed (accidentally) on the surface of the closely-spaced electrodes. I've made a photo sequence of the process.


  • I've also made a video. The electrode arrangement is similar to what I discussed in another thread.


    (Link to the video)


    • [00:02] I start slowly applying a KOH solution with a syringe to the closely-spaced electrodes (12V applied voltage). The static-like noise is from an AM radio recording electromagnetic noise from the process (for the most part induced by the cathode wire as both electrodes kind of short-circuit against each other).
    • [00:51] Electrical conduction starts increasing and KFeO2 synthesis apparently begins.
    • [01:33] Apparently hot (white) discharges occur between both electrodes.
    • [01:54] Both electrodes now appear to be for the most part green.
    • [01:57] I continue adding KOH solution to the hot electrodes. It appears that the bottom electrode (cathode) is now in part white perhaps due to excessive KOH becoming K2CO3.
    • [02:48] Electric conduction gets intense at this point, but not quite like an electrical arc.
    • [03:25] I keep adding KOH solution. It can be seen that excess water turns instantly the material brown-red, but upon drying it turns green again, which seems consistent with what is reported in the literature.
    • [04:05] Electrodes mostly green again.
    • [04:55] I turn power off.
    • [04:57] The coil fully discharges and noise from the AM radio also stops.