Atom-Ecology

• I find your facts anything but plainly presented. Just reading these messages, it seems you often contradict yourself, saying that you measure heat, no you don't, yes you do. It turns out (I now think) you are talking about two different experiments. That was not a bit clear from your previous messages.

I suspect you are pulling my leg. but I quite enjoy it. ETA- Actually this is an account of experimental science while it is underway. The clearest and most highly edited and partial accounts are those written when reflecting on experiments done long ago.

• Alan Smith wrote: "done long ago"

Not too long I hope.

Hope to see some clear partial accounts of the Androcles story by Hanukkah/Christmas 2018

(or the 2nd coming.. whichever is first)

RussGeorge:" In the time it would take you to screw in an energy saving lightbulb

you can share the good news of cold fusion in social media"

JC via Matthew 5:16: "Let your light shine.."

Shalom

• - Continuing to develop the qualitative theory of temperature-activated heating (i.e., possibly lenr) in the presence of passive cooling -

I have already shown that using external heat as a control variable leads to hysteresis in the sense that there are external heat inputs for which the reactor can stably exist at either a high- or low-temperature state. Which state you are actually in depends on the recent history of the reactor. The image below, from a previous post and technically called a bifurcation diagram, shows how starting at a low external heat input (1), the temperature of the system is at first relatively low. As the input heating power is increased, the temperature creeps upward only to suddenly shoot upwards (2) when the input goes above a threshold. The threshold happens because once the temperature-dependent heating mechanism engages a positive feedback loop is created which ensures that the mechanism turns on fully. You can`t just turn it on a bit ... it turns on all the way. And now, once in this high-heat state, the mechanism is stuck in the on position. Even decreasing the external heater power (3) does not decrease it (hence the hysteresis) unless you go below another threshold where the excess heating completely turns off and the reactor temperature plummets (4).

A big takeaway from this is that the excess heat is fully on over a range of external-heating input powers. Since this power is the bottom of the ratio by which COP is usually calculated this means that one has the opportunity to increase COP by decreasing external heating as long as you don`t fall go past the lower threshold and cause temperatures to plummet.

So much for summarizing what has already been posted. I now extend the analysis somewhat to take into consideration remarks made by both Russ George and Alan Smith that elevated temperatures and excess heating can be seen even if the external heating is completely turned off. If this is so then the COP is infinite (because the denominator is zero) and the behaviour is what I think people call self-sustained mode Making room for this does not require making any new assumptions. Such behaviour is already part of the theory ... it just relies on being in part of the parameter range that I have not explicity descrbed before. So here goes ...

On the figure above you see the straight-line cooling curve as well as two possible activation curves for temperature-dependent excess heating. The change in temperature of the reactor for any temperature state will be found from subtracting the cooling curve from a heating curve. Excess heating curve (1) is compatible with the threshold behaviour in the diagram at the top of this post. Excess heating curve (2) in the image just above, however, has a different (although related) behaviour. This heating curve has a greater maximal heat production rate than for curve (1). It is so powerful that there is a range of temperatures where the heating curve pokes out above the cooling curve. Over this range of temperatures, excess heating beats cooling even if there is no external heat. In contrast, for heating curve (1), heating will only beat cooling over some range.if you add external heat (on this diagram, adding external heat is portrayed by a vertical upward translation of the whole heating curve).

Below, you see a bifurcation diagram for scenario (2). From this you can see that if the maximal activation for excess heat is high enough, the lower threshold disappears. Thus, once you have turned on the excess heat mechanism by using an external heater, the hysteresis is so strong that sending the input power for external heating back to zero still leaves the entire system stuck in a high-temperature state with the excess heating mechanism pretty much full engaged (shown as a black square).

Whether of not the maximal activation of excess heating si large enough to create a possibility for self-sustained mode like this is a matter of the makeup and concentration of the fuel but also depends on the cooling. If the efficiency of cooling is decreased (for instance by adding insulation to the reactor system) then this would act like a clockwise pivoting of the cooling curve in the second figure above. You can see that this would encourage the possibility for appearance of self-sustained heating.

• Perhaps someone in the crowd has time to search out the cosmic ray data for the months of March, April, May, June, and July and post it here that would be most appreciated. The daily/hourly flux that works for Greenwich/London, just a stones throw from our lab, would be ideal. Somewhere out there institutions do run cosmic ray telescopes. Muons might be a particularly good signal to study as the solar/cosmics that are stimulating my experiments 'gamma girls' are best fitted to muon-like behaviour though it is likely muons are ruled out. There are plenty of muon telescopes in use but finding the data is not obvious. Of special interest would be signals in the months of May and June lasting 2-6 hours starting at about 10-11am Greenwich time. While the diurnal data is most desired there is plenty of less regular nightime cosmic ray influence that is stimulating simply out-of-this-world/solar system/galactic data.

My 'gamma girls' the solar/cosmic ray stimulated gamma signal are making a renewed appearence dancing prominently in new experiments just now running on the ineffable 8 place cold fusion server rack, though at a different time of day :) It's too early to share more as always, one first has to make sure that such an astonishing and extraordinary result holds up and delivers sufficient data to speak in a more definitive fashion. The cosmic stimulated gammas are a signal well above the now rather ordinary/extraoridnary steady state enhanced gammas that are revealed as a near constant presence in the atom-ecology fuels.

If anyone wants to contribute a high end HPGe gamma spectrometer with cooling that has a higher Mev range than our NaI detectors that would also be much appreciated.

• Self sustaining mode is a slam dunk but it's not so easy as it may sound, it will take an integrated array of reactors that are feeding the array control program. Easy to conceive, a hell of a lot of hours of work to design and build. Being able to produce the 'cold fusion miracle' a few reactors at a time does not mean the gods grant the second miracle of NOT needing plenty of talented human time to acomplish the next steps. One miracle to a customer is the rule. 100 people could build and deliver practical distributed cold fusion in the space of a year, sufficient to deliver us all from the evils of the fossil fuel/fool age.

The greatest threat to the world is waiting for someone else to save it.

• RussGeorge

For Solar Energetic Particles (SEP) data in 2018 see here

ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/warehouse/2018/

SEP should be interesting for you because of the periodicity that you observe in your data. Note however that the data above exist only when the particle shower exceeds a threshold therefore I recommend to only look for a correlation with the main events. Hopefully many solar events occurred this Spring.

• Hello Russ,

Due to the information provided at the recent Russian conference, it seems clear that strange radiation is an extremely common feature in virtually all LENR systems. Do you have any thoughts on how strange radiation and gamma production could be related?

Also, when it comes to looking for information on cosmic rays, I have read a paper that mentioned how a researcher involved in strange radiation had a theory that they can sometimes follow magnetic field lines. So he went to one of the poles of the earth and carried emulsions with him. The level of strange radiation tracks from the ambient environment were significantly increased compared to the ambient environment of his laboratory.

Have you checked the geomagnetic data about the London area during the time the gamma was spiking?

• Self sustaining mode is a slam dunk but it's not so easy as it may sound, it will take an integrated array of reactors that are feeding the array control program.

I don't understand. It seems to me that both you and Alan have already reported self-sustained operation for the single Androcles reactor that you originally started up in late April / early May.

I am using "self-sustained mode" to mean excess heat generation when external heating is turned off.

• Self sustained operation means that after the external heating is turned off that even if an initial drop in reactor temp occurs it eventually continues producing excess heat at a CONSTANT LEVEL for a period of time. In my opinion, extended and repeated self sustained operation is the true holy grail of LENR research. If the power supply can actually be unplugged from the wall, it shows irrefutably that there's no input power. This eliminates a huge number of arguments the pseudo-skeptics bring up repeatedly. Moreover, if a control reactor that's identical in every way drops far below the temperature of the self sustaining reactor or even reaches near ambient, it proves that the self sustained operation is not do to thermal heat storage -- yet another argument that's made. Also, the higher temperature that self sustain occurs at the better, because the difference between it and a control will be far larger.

Anyone that has a powerful LENR device needs to push for repeatable self sustained operation. It's what will push acceptance of their device to the next level because it removes so many variables.

• I don't understand. It seems to me that both you and Alan have already reported self-sustained operation for the single Androcles reactor that you originally started up in late April / early M

So we have and we meant it. But to be of commercial interest you need more than a > gram of fuel and you also need to pull heat out at an 'interesting rate' Having 'Spirit of St. Louis' and using it as a template for 747 is a big step.

• To pull it out at an interesting rate might mean to allow the nuclear reactions to occur in the fuel located in the innermost reactor (a mouse) which will produce a modest amount of heat but possibly a highly significant amount of strange radiation (EVOs, tellerons, spheromaks, erzions, etc). A portion of this strange radiation may travel through the reactor walls and either induce nuclear reactions there, or, continue traveling and induce nuclear reactions in a secondary fuel source (perhaps a metal hydride like NiH, TiH, or some lithium or boron compound). This could allow for the nuclear reactions to be spread over a larger area and disperse in a more diffuse manner the energy released. Producing a kilowatt of thermal energy from one gram of material seems perhaps not impossible but a little of a stretch. If part of the energy comes from interactions with perhaps a kilogram of material, that seems more feasible.

• To pull it out at an interesting rate might mean to allow the nuclear reactions to occur in the fuel located in the innermost reactor (a mouse) which will produce a modest amount of heat but possibly a highly significant amount of strange radiation (EVOs, tellerons, spheromaks, erzions, etc). A portion of this strange radiation may travel through the reactor walls and either induce nuclear reactions there, or, continue traveling and induce nuclear reactions in a secondary fuel source (perhaps a metal hydride like NiH, TiH, or some lithium or boron compound). This could allow for the nuclear reactions to be spread over a larger area and disperse in a more diffuse manner the energy released. Producing a kilowatt of thermal energy from one gram of material seems perhaps not impossible but a little of a stretch. If part of the energy comes from interactions with perhaps a kilogram of material, that seems more feasible.

Director

Let us just follow that through. We have strange radiation that is penetrating - it can get through reactor walls. It is emitted in highly significant quantities. It induces nuclear reactions on a variety of hydrides.

So does this affect human bodies? There are a lot of people experimenting with this stuff, including (you claim) Rossi. I don't notice lead shielding being used much. Nor do I notice Rossi's claimed large scale devices, which perhaps you think work, ever generating detectable radiation.

This collection of facts does not cohere.

THH

• The mouse could be any inner reactor with nickel powder. Nano-palladium particles could be used as a spillover catalyst to produce atomic hydrogen that could be absorbed by the nickel. Even better, a radio frequency, microwave, or direct current plasma could be generated in the mouse to do several things: produce atomic hydrogen off the surface of the nickel, produce HOT atomic hydrogen (when various percentages of noble gases are added to the hydrogen plasma populations of hydrogen atoms with higher energies are produced) of 40eV or higher, and perhaps produce special types of hydrogen (that have perhaps captured EVOs or heavy electrons) that would have a reduced coulomb barrier. If nothing else, the higher energy of the "hot hydrogen" would further increase the loading of the nickel powder. When excess heat and SR is generated, some of these anomalous particles will spray out of the reactor body. These are being flat out wasted. Why throw something away when they could induce additional nuclear reactions? Instead, you place another layer of fuel around the innermost reactor that would interact with the strange radiation. The strange radiation could even be focused or concentrated in a preferred direction if proper mirroring techniques are used: both with reflective material and magnetic mirror effects. I'm certain that regardless what Andrea Rossi calls these particles when he speaks about them to his most trusted partners, that he is fully aware of their effects. My guess is that a device like Parkhomov's -- even though it's very unoptimized due to a lack of a method of producing atomic hydrogen -- could have a magnitude of higher output if the SR were intercepted by the correct materials.

We're so close to mastering these technologies it's not funny.

• I've been studying the mysterious appearance of "hot hydrogen" species in various plasmas (corona discharge, RF, MW, DC, etc) and I've came to the conclusion that if we really want to maximize excess heat and/or strange radiation production, we should utilize such plasmas in our systems. The atomic hydrogen produced will only be one benefit out of many.

• It's interesting to follow some of Rossi's trails. For example there is an understandable explanation, clear to those skilled in the art, that one might use the metaphore of a 'cat and mouse.' Thanks Andrea, meow :)

And here I thought it was the jesting of his part. I stand corrected.

When do you plan on public release? I hope soon.

• And here I thought it was the jesting of his part. I stand corrected.

When do you plan on public release? I hope soon.

Hope is a verb with its sleeves rolled up and we are deep into that phase of this work. Here I am at 3am working on todays ineffable data that has woken me out of my slumber. The data stealing my sleep arrived in the afternoon, a few hours before 'beer o'clock', as one of my new fuel mixtures offered a new heresy, That one of the new 8 pack experiment array had been sitting in a cold furnace without power for some days while my attention was elsewhere but the arrays data was logging and quietly being displayed on one of my many computer screens. Suddenly like a flash of lightening an event occured, Alan can testify to my WOW exclamation at the time. Shortly thereafter RxB (reactor b) as viewed by the Geiger Array came on stage and began the gamma dance rising and sustaining at 4-5 times background for some few hours, at times in short time intervals much much higher. Now that's COLD fusion - no energy input what-so-ever , energy out, and just the right trace levels of gammas to keep everything honest. It seems some mouse ran past and the cats (the Atom-Ecology reactors and I) started chasing and examining the mouse tails in great detail. What a mouse! More on Muab'Dib as it was conveniently seen and dutifully logged by the data cat/computer later. But in these wee hours there is no more beautiful a dream than an immense data log of 36+ data categories captured every second for a couple of weeks in a proper scientific array for background. To say nothing that I was working a meter away with my trusty gamma spectrometer, provided by the via the generosity and good faith of a member of this forum some months ago ( a friend indeed). With the Gamma Spec up and running, freshly calibrated and being used by me to study a new triggering and control technique I am successfully practicing with in the Androcles Furnace that sits nearby. It is my messing about rig and I was able to quickly turn its scintillating eyes onto the new heresy of RxB's suddenly very very active state. Finally a perfectly enduring cold fusion radiation episode captured in all manner of rigorous instruments in the new array and with the independent battery powered laptop Gamma Spectrometer. When the performnace had waned the day in the lab was done upon going home the god's must have been watching and decided wehad done some worthy work. There are miles to go before we sleep, let alone make more of a public release.

• "I see, then please update us when we can expend a product of some kind. I'm sure people in India, China, and even the great US are anticipating in great manner."

They don't in most cases know we exist I'm sure. But we do the best we can, this is rocket science after all. When's the launch date for the next Soyuz?

• That would possibly mess things up. Right now we don't know. Also I'm not convinced that we are looking a purely surface effects, I think this stuff happens down inside the lattice.

Atomic hydrogen, especially with added kinetic energy, would push the hydrogen (protons) deeper into the lattice. My understanding is that when you don't have an external source of atomic hydrogen, molecular hydrogen has to go through an adsorption stage (adhering to the surface) which costs energy, a dissociation stage (that costs energy), and then an absorption stage (that costs energy). With atomic hydrogen you can bypass the adsorption and dissociation stages. The result is that the atomic hydrogen will usually have enough energy left over for relatively fast absorption. With hot atomic hydrogen with perhaps up to ten times the electron volts, I expect that it would penetrate deeper.

• Hope is a verb with its sleeves rolled up and we are deep into that phase of this work. Here I am at 3am working on todays ineffable data that has woken me out of my slumber. The data stealing my sleep arrived in the afternoon, a few hours before 'beer o'clock', as one of my new fuel mixtures offered a new heresy, That one of the new 8 pack experiment array had been sitting in a cold furnace without power for some days while my attention was elsewhere but the arrays data was logging and quietly being displayed on one of my many computer screens. Suddenly like a flash of lightening an event occured, Alan can testify to my WOW exclamation at the time. Shortly thereafter RxB (reactor b) as viewed by the Geiger Array came on stage and began the gamma dance rising and sustaining at 4-5 times background for some few hours, at times in short time intervals much much higher. Now that's COLD fusion - no energy input what-so-ever , energy out, and just the right trace levels of gammas to keep everything honest. It seems some mouse ran past and the cats (the Atom-Ecology reactors and I) started chasing and examining the mouse tails in great detail. What a mouse! More on Muab'Dib as it was conveniently seen and dutifully logged by the data cat/computer later. But in these wee hours there is no more beautiful a dream than an immense data log of 36+ data categories captured every second for a couple of weeks in a proper scientific array for background. To say nothing that I was working a meter away with my trusty gamma spectrometer, provided by the via the generosity and good faith of a member of this forum some months ago ( a friend indeed). With the Gamma Spec up and running, freshly calibrated and being used by me to study a new triggering and control technique I am successfully practicing with in the Androcles Furnace that sits nearby. It is my messing about rig and I was able to quickly turn its scintillating eyes onto the new heresy of RxB's suddenly very very active state. Finally a perfectly enduring cold fusion radiation episode captured in all manner of rigorous instruments in the new array and with the independent battery powered laptop Gamma Spectrometer. When the performnace had waned the day in the lab was done upon going home the god's must have been watching and decided wehad done some worthy work. There are miles to go before we sleep, let alone make more of a public release.

Do you think that this episode was also evoked by cosmic rays? If so then why would these cosmic rays shine on your system at about 10AM in May and about 3PM now? Assuming that the position of the new reactors within your lab is about the same as the old one, I would have thought that a solar source for the rays would still result in the gammas arriving in the morning. And a source from outside the galaxy would result in the initiation of gammas being shifted by about 12 hours with respect to May.

Maybe the periodicity of these gammas won't be 24 hours. Now that would set the cat among the pigeons!

• Maybe the periodicity of these gammas won't be 24 hours. Now that would set the cat among the pigeons!

Maybe, not enough data to know just yet. But it was a remarkable event. I was in the office when I heard the shout from Russ's workbench. - and all this from a sealed-up reactor at initially the 22C it had settled at after switch-off.

• Maybe, not enough data to know just yet. But it was a remarkable event. I was in the office when I heard the shout from Russ's workbench. - and all this from a sealed-up reactor at initially the 22C it had settled at after switch-off.

I kind of envy your work, it has to be exciting, hard work but exciting. Thumbs up! Do you try to optimize the output? do you know about the statistical field of experimental design useful for optimising effects that has more or less random output?