Brillouin Energy Corporation (BEC) updates.

• I listened to the podcast Shane D. provided, and am somewhat sad to feel as though Godes isn't taking the whole thing too seriously or not seriously enough. He highlights his business plan to become a licencing company like what Intel does to Notebooks, laptops, servers, and such. But, this all seems like a losing strategy to me. It would be best suited to sell the product as is, and then resort to licencing for larger orders. That seems to hit two birds with one stone.

Thoughts?

• Official Post

Promethian,

It all seems so simple to us spectators. Make great discovery that will save the planet, with the Nobel, fame, and fortune soon to follow. Somehow in LENR though, it does not work out that way. Something happens after the great discovery, and they decide instead it is better to take their secret to the grave. Why?...I have yet to figure that out.

Makes me wonder about BEC. What if they can not get enough funding to make it to market...what will Godes do with the tech? He is right there at Berkely, so you would think he would gift it to humanity.

• Yes sir, IH did publish it. Rossi/IH Court Document #214-35. Keep in mind the email was from 2016, and the update "Nov 2015".

Okay, this is old news. Yes, there was a project by the Japanese government at that time. It wasn't $30 million for cold fusion. I don't recall the amount but I think it was ~$1 million. There were research grants for other energy-related subjects as well. Perhaps the total added up to $30 million? I don't recall.

The results are here:

https://www.researchgate.net/p…to_hydrogen_isotope_gases

As I said, I think that money ran out at the end of 2017, but perhaps the grant was renewed. I hope it was. People asked the Japanese participants at ICCF-21 but they did not answer.

If Alan had anything to do with it, more power to him. From what I have heard, it was the result of many meetings between Takahashi and other scientists with officials. The scientists described these meetings as interminable. The Ministry published the paperwork and outlines of the proposals researchers had to fill out. It was daunting. Some researchers gave up on the process and did not even apply.

• It would be best suited to sell the product as is

At a COP of 2.0 as Godes explains,, it isn't worth much..perhaps the Qpulse tech is worth a bit

if Godes could tweak something and get the COP up to 2.5 in say 3 months..

then investor could see stronger possibility of the COP 5.0. in 5 years time

The question is what else can Godes tweak

If the theory doesn't give much of a clue ..then its just trial and error

Playing around with the reactor composition, material stresses, temperature, takes years and yet more $

• Official Post

As I said, I think that money ran out at the end of 2017, but perhaps the grant was renewed. I hope it was. People asked the Japanese participants at ICCF-21 but they did not answer.

Like I alluded to, you both were speaking about different things. There was the earlier Japanese government funding he spoke of, but no longer any funding that you speak of. An honest misunderstanding, that is now resolved? Now the sparrow no longer has tears..whatever the hell that means.

• Like I alluded to, you both were speaking about different things. There was the earlier Japanese government funding he spoke of, but no longer any funding that you speak of.

It was the same thing. Alan just explained: "I did not say I take all the credit for the funding Jed, just some of it."

Knowing what I know of the Japanese government, ministries and bureaucracy, I doubt that Alan or any other foreign person could have influenced this program or any other. Unless you are a Nobel laureate, * you are the head the DoE, or you are the editor of Nature magazine they will ignore you. They also ignore most Japanese scientists. They only listen to powerful industry-connected people with billions of dollars.

My guess is that they gave him the impression that they were listening to him, and that he had influence. We would consider that insincere flattery. They would consider it ordinary politeness. If he were Japanese (or me) he would know they didn't mean it.

* And you are not Shuji Nakamura, who has it in for them, and vice versa.

• Official Post

at the time I just thought he wanted to get me off his case, perhaps he did - but 6 months later they set up Clean Planet as a quasi-private company, that led to the Tohaku et al collaboration.

My guess is that they gave him the impression that they were listening to him, and that he had influence.

Which is exactly what Alan thought too. Notice where he said "perhaps he did"? Now, like I said...case closed. Enough of this nonsense. We simply can not afford to have you two at each others throats like this. Bad for the field.

• The money was most likely sponsored by Nissan and other industrials that have been following the field.

The money that I.H. referred to, that was used for the research in the paper I linked to, came from the Japanese government. From NEDO, as I recall. It came after years of negotiation. It was described in many official documents that are on line. It was not sponsored by Nissan. It was not $30 million, either, although this was only one program in a larger energy-related grant. The total might have been $30 million.

I do not recall the details, and I do not have access to the on line documents. They were all in Japanese. I have no trouble reading that kind of bureaucratese. It sounds the same in any language.

The project ended in Dec. 2017. The documents may no longer be on line. I hope it was restarted, but I have not heard that it was. The results certainly justify continued funding.

Here is one of the planning documents, which you can Google translate:

https://www.nedo.go.jp/koubo/CA2_100079.html

This says the budget is 100 million yen ($1 million). It also says the funding is a "100% burden" on NEDO, meaning there were no contributions from industry.

• to replace nuclear facilities with HHT fuel rods instead.

the present nuclear facilities are really inflexible centralised facilities. which need largeness (economiesofscale)to compensate for the cost of leadshielding, sodium pumps moderator tanks etc..

I think the smallest viable ones maybe 160 MW

(https://www.greentechmedia.com…nuclear-grows#gs.grTcUuQm)

,. the attraction of small LENR fuel rods is that they don't need expensive heat transfer and radiation protection/control...therefore

they can be useful at the 500 W level depending on the COP..

which means they can be used as distributed powerplants...which saves on transmission costs.

• The project ended in Dec. 2017. The documents may no longer be on line. I hope it was restarted, but I have not heard that it was. The results certainly justify continued funding.

If after the recent earthquake, one researcher (forgot his name) on the forefront of the field of LENR in Japan, was having difficulty acquiring new equipment, then I suspect it ended in Dec. 2017 and wasn't renewed.

• Official Post

The money that I.H. referred to, that was used for the research in the paper I linked to, came from the Japanese government. From NEDO, as I recall. It came after years of negotiation. It was described in many official documents that are on line. It was not sponsored by Nissan. It was not $30 million, either, although this was only one program in a larger energy-related grant. The total might have been $30 million.

The Takahashi group collaboration, was funded by NEDO as you say: January 2018 Nikkei article about cold fusion

NEDO is a government program also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Development_Organization

• ,. the attraction of small LENR fuel rods is that they don't need expensive heat transfer and radiation protection/control...therefore

they can be useful at the 500 W level depending on the COP..

I suspect they will go down the route of serving the dual purpose of heat and electric production in the near vicinity of the area of interest.

On Brillouin old website they basically had the HHT system look like any typical nuclear power plant design.

• Enough of this nonsense. We simply can not afford to have you two at each others throats like this.

It isn't nonsense and I am not at his throat. You are reading too much into this. I am not upset with him. However, I doubt that he influenced the NEDO program. He might think he did, but I doubt it. I know many Japanese scientists who tried but failed to influence it.

I have good reasons for doubting this. I have 40 years experience translating, dealing with Japanese researchers, technical documents, universities, and watching Japanese politicians lie on National TV. During the Fukushima disaster, all other programming was stopped and for several weeks they had 24-hour coverage featuring Japanese bureaucrats, electric power company officials and politicians lying through their teeth. The reactor exploded on March 11, 2011. This was shown on every channel in every news broadcast on Earth . . . except NHK national news in Japan. For several days officials denied there was an explosion. I do not think they ever showed the videos of the explosions. Obviously everyone in the country knew the reactors exploded. Can you imagine how stupid these people are, lying about something that is in the headlines of every newspaper and TV on earth, and available on YouTube? During the Parliamentary investigation, they had to use documents from U.S. nuclear agencies because their own official investigation was so bad. MP and expert witnesses complained mightily about this, during prime-time news broadcasts. "What the hell is the matter with our scientists? Why are we having to rely on U.S. sources of information???"

Earlier in this thread, Seven_of_twenty doubted that a Japanese minister would try to prevent cold fusion to protect Japanese energy companies. No one would be that stupid, he said. He should have seen their response to the Fukushima disaster. I wouldn't put anything past them after that. You can understand how their predecessor bureaucrats decided to attack Pearl Harbor after years of stalemate war in China. That was by far the stupidest thing they could have done. It was bound to bring about the destruction of every city in Japan and the deaths of millions. But they did it. (Their predecessors and in some cases, their actual fathers and uncles. The apple does not fall far from the tree; stupidity runs in wealthy, powerful, politically connected families just as often as any other.)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.