Brillouin Energy Corporation (BEC) updates.

• Shane D.

You really do not read anything. For one; we have a dedicated thread here with plans, and "program-specific" NASA documents, released to the public showing they are funding LENR, with GEC as their partner.

If you'd said GEC, I wouldn't have bothered to reply. Those guys are going nowhere fast and have been for years. I thought you said NASA. Is the identity of the NASA branch and the name of the principal investigator within NASA doing the research in that string you cite? Or the NASA project name and designation number?

One the thing the LENR crowd is good at: recycling. That can be a good thing, right?

• robert bryant wrote:

At a COP of 2.0 as Godes explains,, it isn't worth much..perhaps the Qpulse tech is worth a bit

First, a device that outputs twice the power/energy it requires to run can run itself. So if you loop back the output to the input, the device can run itself and have energy left over. Second, a device that doubles energy by a mechanism that has never been seen before and is purported to be nuclear fusion at moderate temperatures would revolutionize technology and physics. Finally, something that simply doubled the energy put into it could be used as a heater twice as efficient as any ever made before and used to warm living spaces and cooking appliances in every corner of the world. Not worth much, I guess.

Trivializing a discovery like working LENR with appreciable power gain and power output is a hallmark of not understanding in the least what you're talking about.

• If after the recent earthquake, one researcher (forgot his name) on the forefront of the field of LENR in Japan, was having difficulty acquiring new equipment, then I suspect it ended in Dec. 2017 and wasn't renewed.

That was Mizuno. He never got any government funding from NEDO. He had nothing to do with the NEDO program that funded Takahashi et al. He did not even get government funding when he was a professor at Hokkaido National U. He paid for all equipment out of his own pocket. Which is why he was able to haul much of the equipment across the street to his present lab when he retired. It is his property. The lab is in an abandoned discotheque or something like that. (He told me, but I don't recall.) The place was a wreck before the earthquake. It is even worse now.

• First, a device that outputs twice the power/energy it requires to run can run itself. So if you loop back the output to the input, the device can run itself and have energy left over.

Not on this scale, at these temperatures, when it is driven by electricity. A small heat engine at these temperatures is no better than 20% efficient. So you need at least 5 times input to make it self-sustain. Actually, you need something like 10 times.

Finally, something that simply doubled the energy put into it could be used as a heater twice as efficient as any ever made before

Not exactly. Not for space heating applications. Heat pumps do not increase energy, but at low temperature differences they move 3 to 5 times more heat than the electric energy it takes to run them.

A cold fusion device that produces 2 times input would be scientifically interesting of course. It would be revolutionary. But at that ratio, it would have no practical use. It would not be as good as a heat pump, and it would use far more primary energy than a gas-fired heater, because electric power generation and distribution is only about 30% efficient in most parts of the U.S.

• That was Mizuno. He never got any government funding from NEDO. He had nothing to do with the NEDO program that funded Takahashi et al. He did not even get government funding when he was a professor at Hokkaido National U. He paid for all equipment out of his own pocket. Which is why he was able to haul much of the equipment across the street to his present lab when he retired. It is his property. The lab is in an abandoned discotheque or something like that. (He told me, but I don't recall.) The place was a wreck before the earthquake. It is even worse now.

Calling a spade a spade, that's a tragedy as to what happened to Mizuno's work.

• Trivializing a discovery like working LENR with appreciable power gain and power output is a hallmark of not understanding in the least what you're talking about.

SOT.. your ignorance is astounding after all these years on LENR FORUM.

You have zero understanding about thermal efficiency

Why would Godes even mention needing a COP of 5.0

Electric energy is the highest grade of energy we have. Thermal energy is the lowest.

Why does a Kwh of electricity cost so much more than a Kwh of natural gas???

You don't read. you don't learn

No wonder you make crap statements continually.

• I dunno. I have electricity in my house, but no gas. I would love a 200% efficient electric heater.

I burn wood, rather than use electricity for heating, when possible (I have to be at home to put wood in the fireplace), and efficient (It is only cheaper to heat with wood than electricity when the temperature outside is 5 C or less at my home, I have worked out). If I cut my own wood and brought it home, it might be cheaper still. I could forgo wood heating altogether with 200 % efficient electric heat.

• Brillouin old website they basically had the HHT system look like any typical nuclear power plant design.

Brillo diagram shows a 5-10MW boiler. which is used to make electricity in steam turbines

Godes targets boiler makers and manufacturers who need this level of power

. however Mizuno has drawn 2 kW heaters for space heating.for cold household in Hokkaido

• I would love a 200% efficient electric heater.

Side by side ..

a 200% Mizuno Pd/D2 LENR heater 2KW in 4KW out

and a Daikin heat pump 2 KW in 6KW out( 300% efficiency using electricity)

which one takes longer to heat a hot tub .?

A hot tube is so nice if you work out cutting wood.

Mizuno did not get to 2.0 but he was close... but preparation

of the Pd/Ni fuels took ages.. and required a skilled artisan

so he changed his fuelprep method and the COP went down

and then the lab went down ..but he is not down..

• I dunno. I have electricity in my house, but no gas. I would love a 200% efficient electric heater.

You don't have natural gas? That's unusual. Do you live out in the countryside? People in rural Virginia often have natural gas tanks.

If you live in a mild climate you can have a ~500% efficient electric heater: a heat pump. They are ideal for places like Atlanta, or anywhere in Florida.

• You don't have natural gas? That's unusual. Do you live out in the countryside? People in rural Virginia often have natural gas tanks.

If you live in a mild climate you can have a ~500% efficient electric heater: a heat pump. They are ideal for places like Atlanta, or anywhere in Florida.

natural gas tanks.... strange. I thought they were mostly propane and liguid propan at that. I wouldn't think you could store much natural gas in tanks for household use.

• There is natural gas at the street. Estimates have been done to bring the line to the house, meter install, etc. that are around $5000. This involves digging up a large part of my concrete driveway (extra to repair), among other things. Fireplace, water heater etc are extra.

My house has so many windows and other design issues that a heat pump install is impractical. Several heat pump companies have looked and the options are very awkward.

On the other hand, if it is sunny in the winter, even at -5 C outside, the inside of the house easily reaches 25-30 C from passive solar heating. So often no wood heat is required until night time.

• If a heat pump has a certain efficiency, you can still "amplify" its output if LENR works -- used for heating, anyway. Typical believer BS: talk about application issues before there is decent proof that the stuff even works. And just believe anything the inventors tell you they accomplished without credible, indipendent [sic] proof.

a 200% Mizuno Pd/D2 LENR heater 2KW in 4KW out

If Mizuno could have done that reproducibly and with independent confirmation by a credible testing agency or government lab, the world would be an entirely different place. All the lame excuses for why it's not not withstanding. In other words, it's just a claim. And no, I am not suggesting Mizuno lied or is a con man. I suspect he is overly optimistic and made an error of measurement. If he even made that claim. I don't recall seeing it. And no, I don't know where the technical error was, Jed. We would know if independent tests had been done and properly performed.

• In response to the skepticism about Brillouin's market strategy.

I believe that IH has invested in Brillouin, at least $300,000, so maybe Darden can provide a nudge in the right direction towards market.

Of course they have to get a higher COP first. The fact they are selling licenses suggests they are confident, or maybe not :/

• If a heat pump has a certain efficiency, you can still "amplify" its output if LENR works -- used for heating, anyway.

SOT still doesn't get it..is there a parasitic load on his thinking?

If one a use high grade energy supply like mains AC ..240, 100 V whatever

there is no way that any LENR or any "2.0" COP heater is going to compete with a COP 3-4 heat pump.

The only thing that COP 2.0 competes is with a simple resistor type heater..(ignoring capital costs).

Godes talks about spot markets btw COP 2.0 and COP 10.0

but those spots are tiny around COP 2.0.

Godes says that it is at COP 6.0 that LENR becomes competitive to replace his hydronic heating system.

There is no way that either Mizuno or Godes are going to stick COP 2.0 electrical to thermal into their own homes.

But SOT might.. because of his peculiar engineering expertise.

If you, SOT, can't read... listen ONE MINUTE ONLY ... time mark 6.11 -7.11 courtesy of Ruby Carat

http://www.coldfusionnow.com/podcast/Ruby-Carat-Robert-Godes-Cold-Fusion-Now-020.mp3

COP 2.0 is not economic .. N O T E C O N O M I C.

• Official Post

I had contact with David Firshein from Brillouin Energy, i got some news about the latest results.

Optimization results between 2018.08.28 and 2019.01.11

Improved cop, see attached document.

Test done by Francis Tanzella at SRI.

Discuss in the thread

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.