Fissile Nuclear Power Phase Out

• Expect to see a phase out of fissile nuclear power as new nuclear power technology enters the market. Nuclear power plants require years of planning. These projects gather momentum and are difficult to stop once underway, nearly as difficult to halt when only in the planning stages. A nuclear power phase out will see opposition from some environmental groups, also a concerted opposition from the nuclear power industry. Yet, in order to mitigate liability, a fission nuclear power phase out is prudent.

(gbgoblenote- Global Energy Corporation has presented their LENR energy technology to Korea. -see GEC Korea Plan)

Nuclear Power in South Korea (Updated December 2017)

World Nuclear Association http://www.world-nuclear.org/i…ries-o-s/south-korea.aspx

At the closing ceremony for Kori 1 in June 2017, the new president said he would “Review the policy on nuclear power plants entirely,” and that the country “...will abandon the development policy centred on nuclear power plants and exit the era of nuclear energy." He said plans for new power reactors would be cancelled and the operating periods of existing units would not be extended beyond their design life. He said he would reach a "social consensus" as soon as possible on whether units 5 and 6 of the Shin Kori plant would proceed – their construction licence was issued by the Nuclear Safety and Security Commission (NSSC) in June 2016 and site works are well advanced. In mid-July the KHNP board decided to suspend construction of the two units for three months, pending public debate and government decision, despite vigorous local protests supporting construction. The government assembled a committee, which in October voted 59.5% in favour of continuing construction of the two units, and KHNP resumed work on them.

The president said that the government will now "actively nurture safe and clean energy industries", including renewables and LNG power generation, while closing down all coal-fired plants during his term of office.

In July 2017 an open letter to the president signed by 27 international scientists and conservationists – including climate scientist James Hansen – calls for him to reconsider his policy. It says, "If South Korea withdraws from nuclear, the world risks losing a valuable supplier of cheap and abundant energy needed to lift humankind out of poverty and solve the climate crisis.” Publication of the letter came as a group of several hundred South Korean university professors and scholars also called on the president to drop his nuclear phase-out plans. Some 410 professors – including those from Seoul National University and the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology – called for the government to "immediately halt the push to extinguish the nuclear energy industry that provides cheap electricity to the general public", and called for the phase-out plan to be carried out only after extensive deliberation, not only by government officials but also by industry experts.

• In July 2017 an open letter to the president signed by 27 international scientists and conservationists – including climate scientist James Hansen – calls for him to reconsider his policy. It says, "If South Korea withdraws from nuclear, the world risks losing a valuable supplier of cheap and abundant energy needed to lift humankind out of poverty and solve the climate crisis.” Publication of the letter came as a group of several hundred South Korean university professors and scholars also called on the president to drop his nuclear phase-out plans. Some 410 professors – including those from Seoul National University and the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology – called for the government to "immediately halt the push to extinguish the nuclear energy industry that provides cheap electricity to the general public", and called for the phase-out plan to be carried out only after extensive deliberation, not only by government officials but also by industry experts.

The fat pigs see the end of their waste food live.. coming a little bit to soon.

Somebody who calls classic nuclear energy as clean is an ignorant idiot.

• Max Nozin GEC has bold claims: Gen5 LENR hybrid fusion/fission SMG reactor/power systems, which transmute spent fuel rods (no pre-processing required) to benign elements. I see Korea as an 'ease of entry' market place for GEC, with less regulatory restrictions and a pro nuclear mindset, also the strong U.S. military/government influence. Energy hungry South Korea seems ideally suited, more so than the United States. The fast manufacturing/tooling up capabilities of Korea are also a plus for GEC.

Wyttenbach Heads will roll when bellies growl... actually I shouldn't use a quote that I do not like.

Sorry

Back on track

Puzzling even further, about Korea and the "push to extinguish the nuclear energy industry". Consider Korea is set to be a world leader in exporting fissile nuclear energy technology with the recent (Costly) market entry of:

SMART Power Co. Ltd.

System-Integrated Modular Advanced ReacTor (SMART)

http://www.smart-nuclear.com/tech/design.php

Saudi has a similar phasing out/drastically slowing of their fissile nuclear energy development program. The ones they are moving ahead on are Korea SMART fissile reactors.

Nuclear Power in Saudi Arabia (Updated May 2018)

http://www.world-nuclear.org/i…ies-o-s/saudi-arabia.aspx

• When a fissile nuclear reactor is developed and deployed by the U.S. Navy onto a Navy ship is it first approved by the NRC? If U.S. patents are filed during design and development, by the Navy and/or the contracted company(s), are those patents published (exposed to the public) or sequestered till the DOD gives permission to the patent office to publish them?

I found another article from the the 2012 GEC Guam story. GEC Lawrence Forsley gave a presentation on "green nuclear energy" before the Senate President and members of the House.

Quote Forsley... “The technology that we are using has already been deployed commercially in the past.”

gbgoblenote- How could that be... without (public) NRC approval and certification; unless safely deployed on a US Naval platform?

Quote... "Forsley said they have yet to get certification from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission but as soon as they get their patent approval from the U.S. Patent Office, they will get the NRC certification."

gbgoblenote- Way back in 2012, Forsley is saying, to a group of lawmakers, that the NRC approval is a slam dunk. The patent was approved less than a year later, in 2013.

It seems that Global Energy Corporation has a useful and working, non-fissile hybrid LENR reactor, developed by JWK (naval contractor) that has been deployed and which has NRC certification.

If so, while also considering the bold commercialization claims of GEC, I fully expect to see a rapid increase in the phase out of the fissile nuclear power industry.

Most existing nuclear power plants will adopt GEC for both thermal source and spent fuel remediation. Ones in the planning stages may go forward with GEC LENR thermal. Gigawatt power plants may be viewed as 'soon to be a thing of the past' with LENR on the scene; ROI on these may be deemed a risk, so some of these planned fissile nuclear plants may see funding halted.

Lawmakers Briefed on Nuclear Energy

CNMI Local News 05 Jun 2012 By Emmanuel T. Erediano - Reporter

http://www.mvariety.com/component/content/article/1/47041

LAWRENCE P.G. FORSLEY SPEAKS AS HE MAKES PRESENTATION ON GREEN NUCLEAR ENERGY IN THE HOUSE CHAMBER YESTERDAY. PHOTO BY EMMANUEL T. EREDIANO

• Official Post

It seems that Global Energy Corporation has a useful and working, non-fissile hybrid LENR reactor, developed by JWK (naval contractor) that has been deployed and which has NRC certification.

Nicely laid out Greg. That reporter side is shining through. So that others may better follow, GEC is now working with NASA to bring that technology to space: NASA partners with Global Energy Corporation to develop 10kW Hybrid Reactor Generator

I had hoped ICCF21 would shed more light on this, but not so much. However, Forsley reconfirmed the technology, and his dealings with NASA in his presentation, which was certainly good to hear.

• High pressure nuclear power plants are dangerous. I prefer the moving pebble bed variety or better yet, Thorium salt.

Cleaning up the radwaste is not as hard as DOE makes out. I think they are incompetent.

This from my paper on cleaning up the radwate at Hanford.

"In 1981 Penberthy Electromelt designed and built a 6-ton/day vitrification furnace for DOE in 9 months for $900,000. DOE refused to see it during the proving run of June & July 1981 when it produced excellent glass. DOE later hired a local company to cut it up and take the remains to the local scrap yard.4 Just why is not clear but probably because DOE, lacking in-house expertise, relied on the opinion of a large contractor with a competing process. We understand that the Duratek furnace later suffered a similar fate although ironically this is now the preferred design of DOE."

This was designed for a nuclear plant to have on site and vitrify he waste as they operated.

• @Adrian Ashfield Please try to keep this thread on topic

What are your thoughts about the phase out of fissile nuclear energy use do to emergent advanced LENR energy technologies now entering the world energy marketplace? I would also like to know your opinion of the bold claims made by GEC. Might they have NRC certification? Or do you think their claims malarky?

Everything you have cited, I hope you don't mind me pointing this out...

Slightly off topic.

Thanks for sharing anyways... I'll do further study of what you posted.

In return... please answer my questions.

Alan Smith "Nice find, thank you!"

I've been digging for leads into SPAWAR/JWK/GEC since 2012. Last week a sorta random google search "Forsley GEC Saipan" led to this article. Go figure, such important claims 'hidden in plain sight'... Go figure.

Lawrence Forsley made these claims before the Senate President and Congress members of a government other than the U.S. in 2012.

How much did the lab equipment that Pam and Larry were using, during their "spare time", cost me and other U.S. Taxpayers... Millions.

• "What are your thoughts about the phase out of fissile nuclear energy use do to emergent advanced LENR energy technologies now entering the world energy marketplace? I would also like to know your opinion of the bold claims made by GEC. Might they have NRC certification? Or do you think their claims malarky?"

Two new fission plants went on line in China this week. One the latest design from France the other from the US. They took so long to build I doubt China will build another one of those designs. It's as if we have lost the ability to build them.

I hope LENR will replace nuclear plants, but if that doesn't work out there are new nuclear designs that are a lot better. I know nothing about GEC's hybrid LENR design so can't comment.

I don't think pointing out that the problem of disposing of radwaste has been much exaggerated was off topic when talking about phasing out conventional p;ants.

ps. There is something strange going on formatting. The option for saving/inserting quotes is visible for less than a second, if it appears at all.

• he forum quote function has only ever worked for me if I start at the end of the fragment I wish to quote and work back to the beginning. Try it.

I tried several times - both ways. Selected passages would not stay selected most of the time. The only way I could copy a passage was by keeping the mouse button depressed while using Ctl C.

Trying again, to answer you comment, it worked the first time. Something is not right: I've had this problem before several times.

Could be my mouse giving a double click?

• http://pebblebedreactor.blogsp…ety-comes-from-basic.html

PBR passive safety comes from basic physics

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The pebbles release activated silver when used in air. Molten salt protects the environment from radioactive silver contamination.

It is too bad that both Dr. Per Peterson & Kirk Sorensen will be unemployed in the near future.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.