LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• Clean Fuel Breakthrough Turns Water Into Hydrogen at Room Temperature

Clean Fuel Breakthrough Turns Water Into Hydrogen at Room Temperature
    Hydrogen fuel promises to be a clean and abundant source of energy in the future – as long as scientists can figure out ways to produce it practically and…
    www.sciencealert.com

Scientists have described a relatively simple method involving aluminum nanoparticles that are able to strip the oxygen from water molecules and leave hydrogen gas.

The process yields large amounts of hydrogen, and it all works at room temperature.

That removes one of the big barriers to hydrogen fuel production: the large amounts of power required to produce it using existing methods.

This technique works with any kind of water, too, including wastewater and ocean water.

"We don't need any energy input, and it bubbles hydrogen like crazy," says materials scientist Scott Oliver from the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC).

"I've never seen anything like it."

Key to the process is the use of gallium metal to enable an ongoing reaction with the water. This aluminum-gallium-water reaction has been known about for decades, but here the team optimized and enhanced it in a few particular ways.

• Scientists have described a relatively simple method involving aluminum nanoparticles that are able to strip the oxygen from water molecules and leave hydrogen gas.

Alan does this since 5 years. I thought people here did know about this.

May be they just have the right FM/R/F/B connection to get more attention.

• I know. But what about live range and costs..? Toyota may be the best at the price of a car..

Fuel cells are a 1/4 the weight of batteries and more efficient so range goes to the fuel cell. Electric cars are about twice the weight of a gasoline car, more deaths from accidents with the added weight. Fuel cells keep the weight of the car the same or lighter than gas driven cars. More safety in fuel cells. So in terms of cost fuel cells win by miles

• Hydrogen Fuel Cell Boiler in your home! The Vitovalor 300-P

Hydrogen Fuel Cell in your home! Vitovalor 300P price and how much it returns?
    What is Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology, and why would I want it? How much is a Vitovalor 300P CHP boiler and how much does it return?
    www.chapmanplumbers.com

Japan now has 300,000 fuel cell appliances in homes producing hot water and electricity and the demand is increasing by the day. So why? What is it? How can you benefit? And what is the Vitovalor 300-P? Is this the same as a hydrogen boiler? Well, we are certainly the people to answer your questions, we even have one in our home

• @Shane

I'm skeptical about that forcing of the electron into the proton to make a neutron. That would require about one and half of an electron's mass of energy. Seems excessive.

The author was admittedly a layman and struggling with explaining the theory, so I wouldn't pay any attention to it. His main point was that LENR could one day provide the electricity for EV's.

• His main point was that LENR could one day provide the electricity for EV's.

I think it is more likely cold fusion will directly power vehicles. This will give vehicles unlimited range. Perhaps it will generate electricity that powers the wheels, with a small traction battery. The battery would only be needed if it takes time for the cold fusion reactor to reach full power. For example, if it takes 10 minutes, assume the car will go at top speed for 10 minutes and provide batteries capable of doing that. There will be no need for a large traction battery capable of going hundreds of miles.

If the cold fusion reactor comes to full power quickly, I suppose a direct mechanical drive with a steam piston or turbine might work. Or electricity with a supercapacitor. There are some prototype buses with supercapacitors that recharge at every stop.

If something like a piston steam engine is used it will need a condenser. Otherwise you will have to add water periodically on a long trip. A condenser will be heavy and it will take up space, but you save a lot of weight because there is no need for a gas tank or liquid fuel.

Ultimately, I think thermoelectric devices would be better. Or a LEC that generates electricity without a heat engine.

Electric cars are about twice the weight of a gasoline car, more deaths from accidents with the added weight.

Do you have a source for that statistic? There have been 304 people killed in Tesla accidents since 2013. I don't see anything in the list that indicates weight was a factor. See:

TeslaDeaths.com: Digital record of Tesla crashes resulting in death
    Tesla Deaths is a record of Tesla accidents that involved the death of a driver, occupant, cyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian.
    www.tesladeaths.com

• Does that include the weight of the hydrogen storage tank? What kind of storage: compressed gas, cryogenic, hydride?

Yes that includes storage of compressed gas. The car itself can provide the needed psi.

This article should help answer your questions

Hydrogen storage gets real
    As production costs fall and demand is poised to rocket, James Mitchell Crow finds the hydrogen economy is finally ready for take-off - as long as we can find…
    www.chemistryworld.com

• Heavier electric vehicles increase safety risks, study says

Heavier electric vehicles increase safety risks, study says
    EVs are heavy due to battery weights and heavier equipment to provide "necessary structural support."
    www.axios.com

• Well,

don't be sticked too much to people newspapers even if technicals.

The french car manufacturer Peugeot/PSA today Stellantis made some engine prototypes by which directly alu powder was injected inside the reaction chamber.

It was more powerfull than the common oil.

it was the same"global" principle as lateral boosters of all common rockets.

About hydrogen storage by metal hydride it's knew since a whiiiile.. The best remaining the Mg.

Another.. Doing H mono by Gallium membranes for fuel cells.

etc etc etc....

Heavier electric vehicles increase safety risks, study says

https://www.axios.com/2021/10/…icles-safety-danger-study

• Heavier electric vehicles increase safety risks, study says

Well, it says:

"Analysis in the journal Nature finds electric vehicles' high weight relative to gas-powered models creates safety risks that can be addressed through design and policy changes."

So the problems can be fixed. I think lighter batteries and a lighter chassis is likely to emerge.

Many vehicles sold today are gratuitously large, for no reason, to no one's benefit. People have the mistaken notion that a large vehicle such as an SUV is safer for the driver. That is not true. SUVs are more dangerous for the driver and everyone else, in other cars and pedestrians.

See the book "High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV" for details.

High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV
    High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV
    www.amazon.com

• I agree, batteries will become smaller but as far as the chassis, I don't see a workaround in the foreseeable future

7 Reasons Why Electric Cars Are So Heavy

https://motorhills.com/7-reasons-why-electric-cars-are-so-heavy/#:~:text=Gas%2Dpowered%20cars%3A%20A%20typical,skilled%20driver%20behind%20the%20wheel.

America's new weight problem: Electric cars

While green at first blush, moving all that battery lard around poses challenges for EV proliferation.

Your electric car may weigh too much
    EVs introduce a new calculus around tire noise, road wear and collision safety.
    www.cnet.com

• I agree, batteries will become smaller but as far as the chassis, I don't see a workaround in the foreseeable future

7 Reasons Why Electric Cars Are So Heavy

https://motorhills.com/7-reaso…er%20behind%20the%20wheel.

Based on that article, batteries are likely to become lighter. If they do, the chassis will also become lighter. So the problem will be largely fixed. With the Tesla, the batteries add 1000 lb and the chassis and body have to be stronger and heavier to accommodate them:

"4. Body and Framework

When the overall weight of the vehicle increases, the bodywork has to get stronger. For an EV, this means thicker metal and a more robust crumple structure to accommodate the added weight."

Reduce the battery weight and everything else goes down.

The Tesla Model 3 weighs 4,250 lb, including 1,000 lb of battery. Reduce the battery to 500 or 700 lb and problem goes away. The Tesla Model 3 is a luxury sedan, 4 passengers. I guess it is comparable to a Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan, which weighs 3,781 to 4,566 lbs. Or a Cadillac CT5, 3,658 to 4,123 lbs. They look about the same. (I know nothing about luxury cars. I picked those after searching for "luxury sedans." They look to be about the same price.)

The gigantic battery powered SUVs and trucks will remain heavy. They are probably dangerous because of the weight. So are the gasoline powered models, which have very poor handling, and poorly designed brakes. Basically, SUVs are Death on Wheels. I hope the electric ones have better handling and brakes. I wouldn't know. I have never driven an SUV. I have driven a Tesla. The handling is superb, and the safety features are far better than any other car I have ever seen, including a Prius. I suppose the safety features add enough safety to offset the danger from increased weight.

• The Alminiium / Gallium alloy nanopowder stuff has been circulating for years. It is IMHO nonsense. Have you seen the price of gallium? And the cost of making the allow and then making it into nano-particles is extortionate. Plus the cost of recovering the (toxic) gallium from the hydroxide sludge afterwards It's a joke.

I use scrap aluminium only, no gallium and no toxins. Nothing 'up the chimney' and nothing down the drain. Mitigation of CO2 figures huge (but too complex to explain here) and COP 50:1.

• The Alminiium / Gallium alloy nanopowder stuff has been circulating for years. It is IMHO nonsense. Have you seen the price of gallium? And the cost of making the allow and then making it into nano-particles is extortionate. Plus the cost of recovering the (toxic) gallium from the hydroxide sludge afterwards It's a joke.

I use scrap aluminium only, no gallium and no toxins. Nothing 'up the chimney' and nothing down the drain. Mitigation of CO2 figures huge (but too complex to explain here) and COP 50:1.

The price of gallium is based on it's use in semiconductors so the cost of making nanoparticle is now much more cost efficient and no slag

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.