LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• How NIMBY's stop wind/solar developments in NY, California, and Michigan:

Those people have some valid points. Wind turbines are unsightly. On the other hand, they don't "take up" thousands of acres. They take up very little ground space. Only the cross-section of the tower. Farmers can plant crops or graze cows over nearly all those acres. Solar installations take up a lot more space, and they hurt desert environments, but on verdant land some crops can be grown under them. Some crops do better in the shade they provide.

Wind and solar installations cause much less damage to the local community than coal fired generators. They cause less long term damage to the world than gas fired generators.

Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• Official Post

Those people have some valid points. Wind turbines are unsightly. On the other hand, they don't "take up" thousands of acres. They take up very little ground space. Only the cross-section of the tower. Farmers can plant crops or graze cows over nearly all those acres. Solar installations take up a lot more space, and they hurt desert environments, but on verdant land some crops can be grown under them. Some crops do better in the shade they provide.

Wind and solar installations cause much less damage to the local community than coal fired generators. They cause less long term damage to the world than gas fired generators.

Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good.

A matter of personal opinion, but I find them beautiful to look at, and would have no problem at all with one coming up in my back yard. But that is me, and the reality as the article points out, is that there are people who will throw up obstacles, and the industry has to deal with it. No amount of bitching at them is going to change that,

Fortunately, towards the end, they do point to a way forward that has had some success. It involves money, which is a universal incentive that almost always works. Before, when a big wind farm was proposed, only the land owner the turbine sits on profited. Now, they are giving royalties to those in the surrounding area, and voila...no more NIMBY. Or at least not much. Amazing how that works.

• Official Post

But that is me, and the reality as the article points out, is that there are people who will throw up obstacles, and the industry has to deal with it. No amount of bitching at them is going to change that,

By that I mean land wind farms. When it comes to those blocking offshore farms, that is another matter. It's one thing to have a problem with one sitting in your back yard, quite another when it is well out of hearing distance, and part of the seascape. Many of these farms are too far from land to be seen, yet people still oppose them. Why?

Those NIMBY's have baffled me, and irritated me most of all. The Block Island farm that only came on line a few years back, after many years fighting local opposition is a good example. The opponents were almost all very liberal, and scream-in-your-face AGW believers. Yet they fought tooth and nail to stop it. Does not make sense to me. Lots of hypocrisy in the green movement unfortunately.

• A matter of personal opinion, but I find them beautiful to look at . . .

I don't mind them either. But they clutter up wilderness landscapes. I don't like to see cell phone towers or high voltage power lines in such places either. I go to the countryside to avoid such things.

Fortunately, towards the end, they do point to a way forward that has had some success. It involves money, which is a universal incentive that almost always works.

They pay the landowners. I guess they pay local communities taxes as well. Money usually greases the skids.

It's one thing to have a problem with one sitting in your back yard, quite another when it is well out of hearing distance, and part of the seascape. Many of these farms are too far from land to be seen, yet people still oppose them. Why?

I recall someone complained they might harm the fish. The opposite is true. Fish love artificial reefs. On the east coast, people have deliberately sunk decommissioned, cleaned up New York City rail cars and an aircraft carrier to attract fish.

• Official Post

I recall someone complained they might harm the fish. The opposite is true. Fish love artificial reefs. On the east coast, people have deliberately sunk decommissioned, cleaned up New York City rail cars and an aircraft carrier to attract fish.

Very true- 'wreck fishing' in the North Sea and the English Channel margins has produced some record breakers. https://www.brightoncharterfis…rt-to-wreck-fishing-2011/

• This is NOT meant to be anti-wind tower!

I just ran across it on Youtube and I always wondered what would happen if a tornado hit a tower.

The small tornado is a few minutes into the video, but the others are quite interesting as well.

(I would not have thought about a wind tower catching fire either.)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hopefully they are built better than that now Bob. one of the things the new ones do is feather their blades- they also have DC braking to prevent over rotation. That was a pretty good fail though, the fire is no surprise btw- after all, they are connected to the grid and often with a glass fibre and resin shroud - plenty of fuel.

I think the fire was due to mechanical clutch friction. Electrical protection should be almost fool proof with breakers, fuses and even arc fault circuits. If not is should be! Yes there is a lot of fuel there! Again, this was not against wind turbines, I just though interesting failure modes!

• Official Post

New Burger King commercial to advertise their use of de-gassed cow meat. Hard to understand for the non-English, but key words being sung are: fart. methane, and lemongrass. Visual cues make it obvious. Very cute:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• New Burger King commercial to advertise their use of de-gassed cow meat. Hard to understand for the non-English, but key words being sung are: fart. methane, and lemongrass. Visual cues make it obvious. Very cute:

Cute but fine print suggests this may be a bit overhyped.

• Those are amazingly good, and soybean plants don't fart at all.

Monsanto will like you: Most (90%) Soy is gen-tech roundup ready deadly poisoned soil stuff. In Argentina the Soya mafia sprays roundup also over villages/farms that are unwilling to use their gen crops. Thousands of cancer cases and other illnesses and cheap cleared ground inclusive ...

Do you know how many Indian cotton farmers did commit suicide after using Monsanto gen cotton? 1? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? >? Why? because every year you have to use a much higher dose of poisons and at the end you can't anymore pay for them. It's a Ponzi scheme.

• Cute but fine print suggests this may be a bit overhyped.

Looking into it a bit further, I was very surprised by this result

https://www.independent.co.uk/…ge-research-a8368911.html

Feeding seaweed to cows could slash the amount of climate change-inducing methane emissions from their burps.

Preliminary research has indicated a small amount of marine algae added to cattle food can reduce methane emissions from cattle gut microbes by as much as 99 per cent.

Now, scientists in California are hoping to help farmers meet strict new emissions targets by performing the first ever tests of seaweed feed in live dairy cows.

• Looking into it a bit further, I was very surprised by this result

https://www.independent.co.uk/…ge-research-a8368911.html

I knew about this but, their ad express vastly different stats. 33% reduction in final 3-4months of cow's life. I think avg beef cow is 5yrs old? Say we give the cow a pass on farts for the 1st year, so a 33% reduction in 4mo works out to 2.7% reduction over the lifetime. A far cry from 99%

• Monsanto will like you: Most (90%) Soy is gen-tech roundup ready deadly poisoned soil stuff.

Impossible burgers are not made of soy. They have no soy beans in them.

Ingredients: Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Konjac Gum, Xanthan Gum, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Zinc, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Beyond Meat burgers also have no soy in them.

• Ingredients: Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, K...

No soy really??? Did you read what you did post ??

Here the famous veggy burgers are made out of pea flower! Peas are the best animal protein replacement by far but a bit more expensive than gen-soy extract...

• No soy really??? Did you read what you did post ??

2% or less. I should have said negligible amounts of soy.

Here the famous veggy burgers are made out of pea flower! Peas are the best animal protein replacement by far but a bit more expensive than gen-soy extract...

Perhaps you mean "Beyond Meat" burgers. Ingredients:

Water, Pea Protein*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

No soy! It says on the package: "NO SOY, NO GLUTEN"

• I have only sampled an Impossible Burger once, at Burger King. It was pretty good. Remarkably similar to real hamburger.

I had the Beyond Meat products several times. The burgers taste different from real meat. Not bad, but noticeably different. My wife actually prefers Beyond Meat. When you put chunks of it into spaghetti sauce, you can hardly tell the difference. It is astounding. The texture is almost indistinguishable from real meat.

Beyond Meat makes sausages too. They are not as greasy, salty, or strongly flavored as Polish sausage. But, pretty good.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.