LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• In addition to Alan: in the Ruhrgebiet in germany there were many coal mines in the last century and they build the cities above these mines. Currently there live 5 million people in this area. Due to the mining the cities sank up to 14 meters and water would turn the area into a giant lake if we would not pump this water out of the cities.

How much does it cost to run these pumps forever?

• https://theconversation.com/sc…lts-are-terrifying-126017

Scientists looked at sea levels 125,000 years in the past. The results are terrifying

Sea levels rose 10 metres above present levels during Earth’s last warm period 125,000 years ago, according to new research that offers a glimpse of what may happen under our current climate change trajectory.

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/chapter/chapter-3/

There is high confidence that sea level rise will continue beyond 2100. Instabilities exist for both the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, which could result in multi-meter rises in sea level on time scales of century to millennia. There is (medium confidence) that these instabilities could be triggered at around 1.5°C to 2°C of global warming.

• Saudi Arabia appears to have academic freedom in the energy sector.. alhamdudillah.

Water is more important than oil..

https://sa.linkedin.com/in/djamel-ghernaout-06029990

""Dr. Ghernaout has published more than 60 referred international journal articles and reviewed more than 110 publications in reputed Journals.

He is passionate about research and human health. Water qualities and technologies used for water treatment are his main concerns.

Green Chemistry for the best water treatment processes is his occupation."

• They propose 1500 SMR, but LENR could do it the same.

LENR could do it far more cheaply and safely. I proposed 15,000 desalination plants to "irrigate a third of the Sahara and Gobi deserts," while extracting from seawater all of the Mg, S, K, Br and I now consumed in the world. (Actually, 144 times more Mg than we now consume.) Unfortunately, you could not extract much Au or Pd.

I like to Think Big. Why not solve the problems completely, rather than nibbling around the edges?

15,000 happens to be an order of magnitude larger than this proposal.

See p. 76:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

• Unfortunately, you could not extract much Au or Pd.

In the nineties a lot of (successful) research was run on ion selective electrodes mainly driven by medicine. But.. you can use the same technology to enrich any metal you like to have. Some guys started experiments in the large but there is always energy needed to move ocean water. So either it takes time or energy.

A much better solution is to directly use plants that are able to enrich precious metals. A good candidate is tobacco. Ash of tobacco contains about 1% of its mass as Pt,Pd. With Nickel loving plants people already are much further as they could decontaminate large areas. These plants store up to 20%!! of their weight in Nickel! But here again after two or three seasons the nickel in the soil has gone and you have to bring in in again...

With LENR its even worse. Adding deuterium that works for many metals gives in average about 12MeV of energy. On the other side you have to get rid of a huge amount of heat for e.g. a tiny amount of gold...

• A much better solution is to directly use plants that are able to enrich precious metals. A good candidate is tobacco. Ash of tobacco contains about 1% of its mass as Pt,Pd.

In the novel "Imperial Earth" Arthur Clarke imagined coral reefs bred to extract Au from seawater. Apparently they naturally extract I at low concentrations. However, Au is in much lower concentration than I, so this seems improbable to me. In the novel, Clarke said that coral needs I, whereas they have no use for Au, so extracting it would be dysfunctional and would weaken the coral, leaving it open to attacks, disease and so on. So the auriferous coral is endangered.

Here are the elements in seawater, from most to least. Au is dead last, alas. Pd is not listed.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html

If you want lots of Pd, you gotta go asteroid hunting:

"The metallic asteroids are composed of up to 80% iron and 20% a mixture of nickel, iridium, palladium, platinum, gold, magnesium and other precious metals such as osmium, ruthenium and rhodium. There are a few that are made up of half silicate and half metallic."

https://www.universetoday.com/…at-are-asteroids-made-of/

• Official Post

Hi Sam.

Well, progress has been slow iver the lat few months, in terms of the LENR business, we have been plagues by equipment problems and budgetary shortfalls. The aluminium/hydrogen stuff is looking ever more promising though, it has taken a long time for us to educate potential investors about the business model, but maybe they are beginning to get it.

• Official Post

Continuation of a sad story https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada…ntific-nb-power-1.5359262 The emerging technology researcher's dream - a utility goes all in on your tech. Sadly, the researchers failed to correctly measure input and output having almost 10 years do that

This is really a mind boggling case. Not even the HHO crowd makes direct overunity claims like this. I have seen quite consistently people claiming 3 to 4X "overunity" for production of heat from electricity with a proper thermal diffusor to burn the HHO produced. But never someone claiming to produce twice the Hydrogen with the same electricity.

• Official Post

Curbina of course it is easiest and safest to reject all such claims right away. But you also can never be 100% certain that the claim is false. Any theory which based on aether/ether makes any apparatus not closed system and thus not not violating base rules of physics. I am not an expert in gas volume measurement but it was clear from the patent that the measurement of output gas volume wasn't reliable (odd units of measurement etc). Staff engineers at NB power should be aware of that and they were, yet no serious third-party evaluation followed. Now this negativity is surrounding another effort of NB power to build what could be NA first SMB reactor.

• Official Post

Curbina of course it is easiest and safest to reject all such claims right away. But you also can never be 100% certain that the claim is false. Any theory which based on aether/ether makes any apparatus not closed system and thus not not violating base rules of physics. I am not an expert in gas volume measurement but it was clear from the patent that the measurement of output gas volume wasn't reliable (odd units of measurement etc). Staff engineers at NB power should be aware of that and they were, yet no serious third-party evaluation followed. Now this negativity is surrounding another effort of NB power to build what could be NA first SMB reactor.

Well Max Nozin , I don't pretend to deny the possibility, you know well I am not a pseudoskeptic, but just am in wonder of the long lasting delay in finding the obvious problem in this case, specially with the bulky budget involved.

And precisely that level of sloppyness is what makes this much more concerning, because this reflects badly upon many other serious and non sloppy endeavors that can be put in doubt by any person that rejects the possibility of new science. This bad example can become paradigmatic and quench the interest in other well designed and serious research programs, specially if the decision making people is too concerned with the Public Relationships.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.