LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• “So in one instance, "main stream" is full of crap because they do not support my view of LENR, but then one will accept everything main stream says about something else IF it supports my view!”

Indeed, almost everyone accepts and trusts mainstream science except those aspects of it that interfere with whatever specific unorthodox views they might hold.

In the case of cold fusion there is confusion over what constitutes mainstream science. I define mainstream science as what is published in respected, peer-reviewed journals by leading academic scientists. By that standard, cold fusion is as mainstream as you can get. There are hundreds of papers describing cold fusion replications, but only three papers calling these replications into question. Those three have no merit, in my opinion. Read this one and decide for yourself:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanreplytothe.pdf

There are, of course, many other peer-reviewed papers saying that cold fusion violates theory so it cannot exist. This is a violation of the scientific method. There are some experimental papers describing methods that Fleischmann and other experts thought were mistaken, such as the NHE analysis. There were many informal critiques outside the literature in places like academic conferences, but I do not think they have merit. See pages 25 to 36 here:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreviewofth.pdf

Other than those three peer-reviewed papers, most opposition to cold fusion has been in two places: the lunatic fringe such as Wikipedia, written by ignorant trolls. And in outrageous ad hominem columns in places like the Washington Post, Scientific American and New Scientist. This is as far from science as anything can be. See, for example:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MalloveEclassicnas.pdf

Overall, there is no legitimate mainstream opposition to cold fusion, and there never has been. What we see instead is a great deal of illegitimate, unfounded, ignorant opposition. Much of it comes from professional scientists, but these scientists know nothing about the subject, as you see from reading them. A scientist who knows nothing about a subject cannot judge it. Nothing he says can have any merit. To call such grotesque ignorance "mainstream science" is rob the term "science" of all meaning. It is like saying a person who knows nothing about football, who has never watched a game, and does not even know the rules, (me -- in other words) is magically qualified to referee the Super Bowl.

• True, energy cost money and there is a constant race to improve that cost. But then we have SUV's taking over the world. That is a depressing chapter. SUV. We also have the fact that people travel more and more long distances in air, In sweden this is usually vacation travel. I really hate this point as my poor elderly parents need to pay filthy high taxes on life nessesary gasoline and car taxes, but rich city slickers can travel a 4 times or even more a year and enjoy cheap flight gasoline for pleasure only. As you can imagine (this year an exception) the travelling is going through the roof and will eat any improvements in decreased car use and energy efficiancy.

• True, energy cost money and there is a constant race to improve that cost. But then we have SUV's taking over the world.

SUVs are depressing. Not only do they cause more pollution, they are dangerous. They kill more of their own drivers, people in other vehicles, and pedestrians. It is ironic that people buy them thinking they are safer. See:

High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV

https://www.amazon.com/High-Mi…e-SUV-ebook/dp/B001GXQOM8

• Jed, I figured you were launch into a lengthy discussion of cold fusion based on my comment. However, I was mostly talking about things like anti-vaxxers, climate change deniers, evolution deniers, Moon landing deniers, and the like. Cold fusion doesn’t rise to (um, fall to) the level of those irrational rejections of the facts. And I bet I will stir up a few folks here who embrace some of those things. You can’t please everybody.

• Official Post

https://www.chemistryworld.com…ogen-hype/4012281.article

From 'Chemistry World'.

Is Europe at the top of another hydrogen hype cycle that will see enthusiasm translated into real projects to hasten decarbonisation – or will its proponents be disappointed again?

Stimulus packages are giving hydrogen a key role in recovery plans, especially to decarbonise sectors such as chemicals, steel, and heavy transport, where electrification – anticipated as the main route to decarbonisation – may not be an option. It will also create jobs. The International Energy Agency (IEA), estimates new industries such as hydrogen could generate between six and eight jobs for every $1 million invested.

• However, I was mostly talking about things like anti-vaxxers, climate change deniers, evolution deniers, Moon landing deniers, and the like. Cold fusion doesn’t rise to (um, fall to) the level of those irrational rejections of the facts. And I bet I will stir up a few folks here who embrace some of those things.

Not to quibble, but I think people such as evolution deniers and Moon landing deniers would agree they are outside the scientific mainstream. Some of them take pride in being outside the mainstream. They are proud to say they know better than the experts.

• Detailed article about how Tesla leads it's competitors. Some through solid, innovative engineering, but mostly through knowing, and taking advantage of some EPA regulatory loopholes:

I think "mostly" is an exaggeration here. This article says that Tesla is exaggerating the range of its cars by taking advantage of loopholes. I wouldn't know about that. But here is what I do know --

Yes, range is an important sales point. But many other aspects of electric cars are also important. I have driven a Tesla and a Leaf, and I have seen some other electric cars. Plus, at the mall I have looked closely at conventional gasoline luxury cars such as the Mercedes Benz. The Tesla is dramatically better than the others. It has many features they do not have. It is a whole new way to make automobiles. It is complete rethinking of what an automobile is and how it should work.

I would never spend that much money on a car, unless it was self-driving. But if I were in the market for a luxury car, I wouldn't even consider getting anything other than a Tesla. Something like a Benz is no better than 1990 luxury car. The Tesla is 30 years ahead of it. The safety features and ease of use are far ahead of the Benz. For example, the dashboard display shows you the surrounding traffic. It shows you are clear to change lanes. Or, if you like, it will change lanes on the highway automatically, probably with greater safety than a human driver could. Changing lanes makes me nervous.

Also, the range is not that much better than other electric cars in its price range.

• Range in electric cars is just as variable as gas mileage in ICE cars. It depends on your driving style, the nature of the roads you take, and on the weather, among other things. We’ve driven Teslas for a couple of years and the range is in no way overstated. I easily average more than the published range in the car and I’m no hypermiler. On the other hand, if you drive the cars “like you stole them” (as some owners brag), you will do far worse than the rated range. And yes, at the moment, Teslas don’t really have any real competition. That may eventually change, but so far the incumbent car manufacturers are dragging their heels.

• Official Post

Range in electric cars is just as variable as gas mileage in ICE cars. It depends on your driving style, the nature of the roads you take, and on the weather, among other things.

All mentioned in the article's "apple to apple", or EV to EV comparison's. Not knocking EV's, nor Tesla, they are all the future.

Was kind of surprised on the one hand, but equally impressed on the other, when they said a Tesla's batteries hold the equivalent of 2.9 gallons of petrol. Shows both how far EV's have to go to really compete with ICE's, and how far they have come to get 250 miles out of 3 gallons.

• All mentioned in the article's "apple to apple", or EV to EV comparison's. Not knocking EV's, nor Tesla, they are all the future.

Was kind of surprised on the one hand, but equally impressed on the other, when they said a Tesla's batteries hold the equivalent of 2.9 gallons of petrol. Shows both how far EV's have to go to really compete with ICE's, and how far they have come to get 250 miles out of 3 gallons.

Energy equivalents between batteries and gasoline are a fairly meaningless metric. The efficiency of the drive trains are very different. And 250 miles is commonplace. Tesla S now gets 400 miles.

• Jed,

How long have you been saying

“If it works”?

The change to humankind would be staggering, this is not debatable, however,

“Will it ever work” is debatable,

and so far it doesn’t.

Are your expectations that planet earth will see exploitable LENR in your lifetime?

• Official Post

I guess a more accurate statement would be “if we ever figure how it works for mass energy production”.

I have seen enough evidence of nuclear phenomena (In the form of transmutation) outside the Classic and orthodox range of temperature and pressure that mainstream science holds as the only possibility.

“Excess energy” reactions have enough evidence but it is contested because “it’s impossible” within the bounds of QM ad the SM (unless you agree the Gailitis resonance is the explanation for D-D fusion in a Pd matrix within the orthodox theory, as these authors published back in July https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachm…loy/atoms-08-00032-v2.pdf ).

After all these years watching the development of the attempts to understand the phenomena from an interdisciplinary and “holistic” point of view, I think that the key to LENR is “beyond hydrogen loading” and that the lattice reactions are one way to get to it, but understanding the underlying phenomena will allow to get LENR in multiple ways.

• https://arstechnica.com/scienc…sign-certified-in-the-us/

On Friday, the first small modular reactor received a design certification from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, meaning that it meets safety requirements and could be chosen by future projects seeking licensing and approval.

The design comes from NuScale, a company birthed from research at Oregon State University that has received some substantial Department of Energy funding. It’s a 76-foot-tall, 15-foot-wide steel cylinder (23 meters by 5 meters) capable of producing 50 megawatts of electricity. (The company also has a 60-megawatt iteration teed up.) They envision a plant employing up to 12 of these reactors in a large pool like those used in current nuclear plants.

• How long have you been saying

“If it works”?

I should say "if it can be made into a practical source of energy." Obviously it "works" in the physical sense of producing excess heat. So does plasma fusion, but that is so dangerous, polluting and difficult I think there is no likelihood it can be made into a practical source of energy. Whereas cold fusion could easily be made into a practical source of energy once it is controlled.

In the 1960s there were proposals to use fission bombs as a source of energy. They would be exploded underground and then water would be pumped through the hot cavities. There was also the ground-launched Project Orion spacecraft, and fission powered jet aircraft. These things might have actually worked, but they could never be a safe, practical source of energy. (It is conceivable that an Orion spacecraft operating only in deep space might work.)

The change to humankind would be staggering, this is not debatable, however,

“Will it ever work” is debatable,

and so far it doesn’t.

So far it has not been made practical, because there is no funding, and because there is tremendous opposition because of academic politics. If it were not for the politics, we would have cold fusion powered cars by now.

Are your expectations that planet earth will see exploitable LENR in your lifetime?

That depends entirely on politics.

• Official Post

https://www.nature.com/article…39373-8f21e7f906-44567417

COVID-19’s effects have caused global supply chains to buckle and break. Of the many sectors affected, one is particularly worrying — low-carbon energy. Closed borders, silent factories and shortages of components are slowing the deployment of wind turbines, solar panels and electric vehicles worldwide, with little time left to avert dangerous climate change.

This year’s growth in renewable electricity capacity is expected to fall short of last year’s figure by 13%, owing to supply-chain and financing problems. Manufacturers face unpredictable times. In April, two of the world’s largest turbine producers, Vestas, based in Aarhus, Denmark, and Siemens Gamesa in Zamudio, Spain, announced the economic uncertainties were so great that they could not guide investors on how they would perform in 2020.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.