LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• There are more and more studies of the green advantages of electric cars. The results are pretty consistent and not at all in line with Reddit “experts” and assorted conspiracy theorists. This topic is a unique situation where conspiracy theorists have the enthusiastic support of a trillion-dollar industry. The auto industry is already placing its bets. This is pretty much all over but the shouting. The shouting will go on for quite a while however. One might also note that air pollution causes an estimated 4 million deaths a year and gasoline and diesel cars are a major source of that pollution.

One of the Biggest Myths About EVs is Busted in New Study
    The biggest myth in electric cars: that they rely on fossil fuels to charge and are therefore bad for the ecosystem, has been busted.
    www.goodnewsnetwork.org

• This discussion keeps reminding me that I really need to get me some aluminosilocate zeolite to try to reproduce the poorly detailed but very intriguing experiment published by Roshdy A Barsoum. If what he claims is true then electric cars will become the only way.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I'll believe You once they will be also cheaper than gasoline cars.

It is inevitable they will be cheaper. They have many fewer parts; they require much less labor to manufacture and maintain; the cost of maintenance is much lower; and they use 1/4th as much fuel even when the only source of electricity is fossil fuel. The only reason they are more expensive now is because customers are willing to pay a premium, and the R&D is still being amortized. See:

Yahoo ist jetzt Teil von Verizon Media

QUOTE:

Across the country, thousands of companies such as Trenton Forging are warily eyeing a future of electric vehicles that contain a fraction of the parts of their gasoline-powered counterparts and require less servicing and no fossil fuels or corn-based ethanol. It’s a transition that will be felt well beyond Detroit, as millions of workers at repair shops, gas stations, oil fields and farms find their jobs affected by an economic dislocation of historic proportions.

“Anybody who thinks this transition is going to go smoothly is fooling themselves,” said Michael Robinet, executive director of automotive advisory services for consulting firm IHS Markit.

Making, selling and servicing vehicles employ an estimated 4.7 million people in the U.S., according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Some of the jobs won’t go away, of course — there will still be a need for dealerships and tire shops.

Making the massive batteries that line the bottom of electric cars promises to employ thousands. But where a conventional car’s engine and transmission have hundreds of parts, some electric-vehicle powertrains have as few as 17, according to the Congressional Research Service. That doesn’t take into account the radiators, fuel tanks or exhaust systems that electric vehicles don’t need. Once operating, an electric car has no spark plugs or oil that need changing or mufflers that wear out. And with so few moving parts, service stations could be relegated to changing tires and windshield wipers. . . .

By price I mean total cost of ownership, which represents fossil fuels and raw sources input.

Fossil fuels are less than 1/4th as I said. About 1/8th in most places because half of electricity no longer comes from fossil fuel, especially at night, when most cars are recharged. Fewer raw sources and materials are needed.

The first of the articles you linked to says:

At 20 Fahrenheit (-7 °C), the range of electric vehicles drops by the average of 41 percent, according to AAA

As it happens, Toyota just announced a new electric car that fixes this problem.

(In Japanese:)

トヨタが新型EVを来年発売、使い勝手の良さを追求…1回の充電で500キロ程度走行が可能 : 経済 : ニュース
    トヨタ自動車は29日、新型の電気自動車(EV)「bZ4X」を2022年半ばに発売すると発表した。1回の充電で走れる距離は460~500キロ・メートル(WLTCモード)前後を確保し、乗り心地や操作性の良さなど使い勝手の良
    www.yomiuri.co.jp

• Here is the mainstream, conventional view of future energy. Nothing about cold fusion, obviously. But this has useful information.

Elsevier’s new report highlights Pathways to Net Zero

Report: How can research help the world hit net zero by 2050?

Explore emerging trends and opportunities to maximize the impact of clean-energy research in "Pathways to Net Zero" report

October 28, 2021

[Download link from this page]

Report: How can research help the world hit net zero by 2050?
    Explore emerging trends and opportunities to maximize the impact of clean-energy research in "Pathways to Net Zero" report
    www.elsevier.com

• Report: How can research help the world hit net zero by 2050?

Mankind knows that it has never been wise deep down. It also had unwavering confidence in it ability to bounce back from it mistakes. Also everyone seems confident in the success of zero CO2, because "this is necessary". This is not the case to me, I think that the need for economic growth of all the world big countries is more important than to invest quickly enough in the energy transition. The unbridled economic growth remains in fact nowadays a latent war of geostrategy. I think the solution will be in space or in the high atmosphere in order to integrate anti UV barriers. Countries will end up paying for these very expensive solutions given their inability to anticipate.

• Every country tries to find a more useless pathway to produce fossil fuel. 30 years ago ETH had a state financed project (5 mio.) to produce Bio Diesel from canola... One of the most precious oil seed.

May be converting caviar to bio fuel will top this....

• Not green but Interesting Video about the Shale

Cowboys.Can be followed at 2x speed.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• After watching these VideosI have the

feeling the USA and other Countries missed the thorium boat.

But some are paddling to

catch China Thorium Canoe.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This Company is building a Thorium Ship in Indonesia.

Testing Salt.

Comment from Axel Axel on ECW

sam you are riding a dead horse.

To avoid proliferation, the world wide nuclear reactor rules that the thorium reactor must abide by means that the thorium reactor is mostly a uranium reactor that avoids U235 proliferation by denaturing its fuel with U238.. But the U238 that makes up most of the fuel load in a thorium reactor is producing loads of Pu239, which is a more serious proliferation risk than U235.

Removing the Pu239 from the waste of a thorium reactor is not allowed so there is tons of Pu239 in nuclear waste. Pu239 removal is what breeder reactors do, Breeder reactors were forbidden by Jimmy Carter.

If you are interested, the following is why this reactor will never come to be.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pa...

U. S. policy is once again solidly in opposition to reprocessing. The phrase used is that "reprocessing is inconsistent with the Government's nonproliferation policies." The Clinton administration has accepted the reasoning of the Carter years. This rigidity wasted several years and undermined our ability to work effectively with other nations toward disposition of excess nuclear weapons. If we were reprocessing commercially, and had MOX fabrication plants in routine operation, burning the excess weapons plutonium could be almost half completed by now.

But more important, our policy against reprocessing also holds hostage the rebirth of nuclear energy. While there is no immediate prospect for investment in nuclear power plants, and in fact, U. S. utilities are not investing in any large power plants (coal-burning or anything else but natural gas), things could change. It is only twenty years since Congress, so concerned about our domestic resources, passed the Fuel Use Act banning new large oil or gas-burning plants. Who can be sure about energy in the coming decades? How much will natural gas prices rise? Will global warming be serious enough to curtail burning coal oil and gas for electricity?

The thorium reactor must reprocess its waste on line to extract U233 as a fuel to continue operations. This exposes Pu239 to a proliferation risk.

This unsolvable proliferation issue is the main reason why my interest in energy shifted from nuclear energy to LENR. Now and for a very long time, my goal has been and still is to put my old buddy Lars out of bisiness.

Also see

Breeder_reactor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi.

• TIME Names Vegan Tuna One of the 100 Best Inventions of 2021
    Sushi-grade vegan tuna made by Kuleana is one of TIME’s top 100 best inventions of 2021 and the San Francisco-based startup is just getting started.
    vegnews.com

TIME Names Vegan Tuna One of the 100 Best Inventions of 2021

Sushi-grade vegan tuna made by Kuleana is one of TIME’s top 100 best inventions of 2021 and the San Francisco-based startup is just getting started.

• Elon musk is probably not only revolutionizing the Electric car, he will start a new industry revolution, mark my words.

ground braking

And Biden did not mentioned Tesla at all at that electric car day, a lot of hate from the Left towards him for "taxes" when the man pay 53% in tax, after what

he have done for USA and environment. He may be awkward, but man he got a nose for what's is good.

• The Godfather of Wind.

• Elon Musk was today announced as person of the year. He is controversial among the general public in USA it seams

but I think that he is well deserved of that crowning as he has probably started a completely new way of doing mass

production, for a good sake, see

Teslas Industrial revolution

This is not an easy task to match for VW GM or any other large company burred in the old way of doing manufacturing

and organizing businesses. Today Tesla could lower the price by 30% if it where not that they are supplied constrained

and need the money to grow. 20% of the sold cars in CHINA is electric now, and it grows insane there. Also in Europe we see

similar figures.

• Mercedes has announced an electric car with a 620 mile range. They have not actually driven one that far yet, so it seems a little premature to announce it. The range is 6 miles/kWh, which they say is 3 times better than the Tesla Model S. I think it is about 2 times better than a Leaf. They say much of the improvement comes from aerodynamics.

As I said earlier in this discussion, ~600 miles is the range that I think means you no longer need to worry about recharging midway through a trip. Because it is about the farthest a person normally drives in one day, so you can recharge when you reach your destination. I guess if you wanted to drive 600 miles, it would be wise to stop at around 400 miles to recharge for 20 minutes or so, leaving some charge when you reach the destination.

Mercedes says its electric concept has 620 miles of range and seats made with mushrooms
    Mercedes has unveiled a new all-electric concept car, the EQXX, that the company claims can go 620 miles on a single charge. The futuristic luxury car is also…
    www.cnn.com

• "The EQXX gains those extra miles largely through efficiency, according to Mercedes. Mercedes claims the EQXX can travel more than 6 miles per kilowatt hour of electricity."

A 1,25 hp electric motor consumes about the same amount of energy- but you couldn't move a couple of tons of car at 6mph with it.

• Mercedes claims the EQXX can travel more than 6 miles per kilowatt hour of electricity."

A 1,25 hp electric motor consumes about the same amount of energy- but you couldn't move a couple of tons of car at 6mph with it.

It would take a while to get up to 6 mph, but once you reach that speed, you could go 6 miles in 1 hour. Your 1.25 hp motor running for one hour consumes 1 kWh. A 1 hp horse pulling this car could probably go 6 miles in one hour. On a smooth, level road, with the car motor disengaged (in neutral on standard shift car).

A healthy person can pull something at about 0.1 hp. So, imagine 10 people jogging alone, pulling on a rope tied to a car for an hour on a level road. They could go 6 miles. That is more or less what happens during a Japanese festival when a group of drunk college kids pull or carry a semi-obscene float made by art department students. (Don't ask me how I know that.)

Two or three people can push a standard shift car in neutral on a level road pretty quickly, for example when it runs out of gas. I don't know if an electric car transmission can disengage.

The Mercedes probably gets optimum performance at around 30 mph (I am guessing). So it takes 12 minutes to go 6 miles. That's 1/5 of an hour. And it consumes 1 kWh in 12 minutes. So the motor is producing 5 kWh/hour, better known as 5 kW, or 7 hp. That's a lot less power than a gasoline car can produce, but it is not far from what a gasoline car needs to go at a steady 30 mph on a smooth, level road.

Here is an online calculator that tells me a 5000 lb car going 30 mph takes 10.5 hp (7,857 W) (using the second method):

Engine Horsepower Calculator

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.