LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• The Alminiium / Gallium alloy nanopowder stuff has been circulating for years. It is IMHO nonsense. Have you seen the price of gallium? And the cost of making the allow and then making it into nano-particles is extortionate. Plus the cost of recovering the (toxic) gallium from the hydroxide sludge afterwards It's a joke.

I use scrap aluminium only, no gallium and no toxins. Nothing 'up the chimney' and nothing down the drain. Mitigation of CO2 figures huge (but too complex to explain here) and COP 50:1.

The version I read a while back basically had them putting aluminum chips into liquid gallium which then spontaneously forms nano aluminum powder that then is reacted to make toxic gallium-aluminum hydroxide sludge and hydrogen.

• This discussion makes me instantly think about one of many Dr. Daniel Nocera’s ideas which I can’t seem to find now but was based on aluminum pellets or grains and was aimed for automotive use with the focus on a fast time recharge by changing the spent pellets at a refueling station. I read it a long time ago on the now defunct peswiki site, but at the time it sounded like an interesting idea for automotive use of hydrogen.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• This discussion makes me instantly think about one of many Dr. Daniel Nocera’s ideas which I can’t seem to find now but was based on aluminum pellets or grains and was aimed for automotive use with the focus on a fast time recharge by changing the spent pellets at a refueling station. I read it a long time ago on the now defunct peswiki site, but at the time it sounded like an interesting idea for automotive use of hydrogen.

Actually, the practicalities make this a terrible idea outside of a war zone. The system would be too heavy and too slow to turn up and turn down. I spent a long tome going through all this with the technical director of Renault-Nissan and he came to see it my way. Power the car factory, perhaps, power the cars? No.

• Actually, the practicalities make this a terrible idea outside of a war zone. The system would be too heavy and too slow to turn up and turn down. I spent a long tome going through all this with the technical director of Renault-Nissan and he came to see it my way. Power the car factory, perhaps, power the cars? No.

Exactly. Almost all of these small, effective Al to hydrogen plants seem to end up as a military emergency power supply in the final iterations.

• '"California residents are being asked not to charge their electric vehicles to conserve energy amid a brutal heatwave — just days after the state announced a plan to ban sales of new gas-powered cars by 2035."

See:

Amid Heat Wave, California Asks Electric Vehicle Owners to Limit Charging
    Critics of the state’s push to end reliance on gas-powered vehicles seized on the news. But environmentalists said the extreme weather underscored the need for…
    www.nytimes.com

QUOTE:

A spokeswoman for the governor, Erin Mellon, said that the request to avoid charging electrical vehicles has been misrepresented by critics of California’s efforts to curb emissions.

“We’re not saying don’t charge them,” she said. “We’re just saying don’t charge them between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.”

Experts acknowledge that moving to more electric vehicles in the coming years will present a challenge, and part of that challenge is building a grid that is up to the task. But they said it was laughable to call a few hours of voluntary charging limits a sign of failure.

“Nobody charges during those times anyway,” said Elaine Borseth, the president of the Electric Vehicle Association, an advocacy group. “It costs more.”

• Have you seen the video of a guy with a Tesla that carries a Honda genset in the trunk for charging it? This is the kind of meme that is becoming massive. There are also pictures of diesel gensets powering Charging bays, and also pictures of long lines of electric cars waiting for a chance to get their EVs charged. Unfortunately, this kind of memes has a powerful impact in consumers, and have become greatly popular in the so called “social networks”.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• What would be environmental is if they went vegetarian and fed people all their nutritious plant based livestock feed, forsaking the subsidizing of animal products. More people could afford to by low cost EVs and make use of those chargers!

• Wave energy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• '"California residents are being asked not to charge their electric vehicles to conserve energy amid a brutal heatwave — just days after the state announced a plan to ban sales of new gas-powered cars by 2035."

This does not indicate a failure or a problem with electric cars so much as a problem with laundry. A clothes dryer uses as much power as a home electric car charger. Charging an electric car takes about an hour, so it is like drying clothes for an hour. There are many more clothes dryers in California than car chargers, so they are a much larger problem. The power companies discourage people from using clothes dryers during peak hours from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. They do this by offering "night and weekend rates." I have that offering. Power costs twice as much during peak hours, so we refrain from drying clothes in the afternoon.

They have these rates in California, as noted by Borseth:

“Nobody charges during those times anyway,” said Elaine Borseth, the president of the Electric Vehicle Association, an advocacy group. “It costs more.”

Have you seen the video of a guy with a Tesla that carries a Honda genset in the trunk for charging it? This is the kind of meme that is becoming massive.

I have not seen that, but I am sure it never happened. It is a joke. A genset does not produce enough power to recharge an electric car in a timely manner. On a long trip, the battery would discharge and you would have to stop and wait for hours. It is much quicker to find a charger and recharge. The Tesla and Leaf cars come with GPS maps that show you where the nearest charger is, so this is no problem.

here are also pictures of diesel gensets powering Charging bays, and also pictures of long lines of electric cars waiting for a chance to get their EVs charged.

I expect they would only do that during a power failure, or at a remote location where high power is not available. However, large Diesel gensets are far more efficient than automobile internal combustion engines, and electric cars are about 85 to 90% efficient, so even this method uses less energy and produces less CO2 per passenger mile than a gasoline automobile. It also costs a lot less than gasoline.

They have 1 MW Diesel gensets in rural Virginia, for peak power. I chatted with a guy from the power company who knows a lot about them. They are very efficient. Not as efficient as large gas fired turbines, but pretty good.

• A genset does not produce enough power to recharge an electric car in a timely manner.

I mean the small ones used at home. If you had a highly compact, high-tech genset that produces 96 HP which powers the batteries, you would have . . . a Prius. A series hybrid car. That is more fuel efficient than a gasoline only car. So it would be a good idea. Except they do not make small-high tech 96 HP generators anywhere other than in hybrid car engines.

(The Prius is parallel hybrid, with a planet gear. There are only a few series hybrids.)

Towing a genset would use less energy than a gasoline motor if you could arrange to have the genset run at optimum speed, rather than running slowly when demand is low. In other words, if you could run it in bang-bang mode; either on at full power, or off. That is somewhat the way a Prius works. The electric motor provides most of the traction at low speeds, where it is more efficient than the gasoline motor.

• Someone names M. Shellenberger, MD said: "Using the state's own estimates, California will need 17 GW of additional electricity to power all those electric cars."

Evidently, Dr. Shellenberger does not understand much about how electricity works. To power more electric cars, California will need more electric energy, and probably more natural gas fuel. But it will not need any additional generator capacity as long as most cars are charged overnight. Because there is tremendous excess capacity at night in California and everywhere else in the world. California's net summer generator capacity is 78 GW. See:

EIA - State Electricity Profiles

There is far more than 17 GW of idle capacity at night. In California, in July between midnight and 6 a.m. electric power consumption is 29 million kilowatt hours. It is 40 million at midday, and 48 million at the peak, 6 p.m. So there is lots of extra capacity at night, even during the summer months, when shortages are most likely to occur. Probably around 47 GW of extra capacity. See:

Hourly electricity consumption varies throughout the day and across seasons

Even if they did need 17 GW more, that would be a 22% increase. That would not be difficult to build up, given the time it would take to transition to all electric vehicles. Solar now produces 14% of power in California, so if they triple their solar capacity adding 24% they could charge all electric cars during the day. Solar is now the cheapest source of electricity. There are plenty of houses in California without solar panels. They could easily triple solar generation.

2018 Total System Electric Generation

As noted by Elaine Borseth, the president of the Electric Vehicle Association, no one charges an electric car during the day, because that costs twice as much. Also because the car is probably parked at the office office. It is more convenient to charge it at home. Chargers are programmed to turn on after 9 p.m.

Electric cars need more electric energy than gasoline cars, but they use 3 to 5 times less primary energy than gasoline cars, because they are so efficient. In California ~44% of electric power now comes from non-carbon sources such as nuke, hydro, wind and solar. 47% comes from natural gas, which produces less carbon per joule than gasoline. So, overall, electricity produces at most half as much CO2 per joule as gasoline -- and probably less. Meaning an electric car in California produces 6 to 10 times less CO2 per passenger mile than a gasoline car.

• More on the future of Wave Energy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.