LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• That's good. There is a lot more sodium than lithium. Some people have said material shortages may limit battery production and the use of electric cars. Not if they use sodium.

Generally speaking, claims that there may be a future shortfall of one material or another have proven wrong. Oil is probably an exception. I think the problem is seldom a shortage but rather pollution from overuse, or mining or other extraction methods that cause harm. There has been a lot of talk about rare earths. They are supposedly running short. That is not true. It is true they are mostly mined in China where they use terrible techniques and harm the workers. That is not because most of them are in China. The U.S., Canada and Brazil have abundant reserves but they buy rare earths from China because it is cheaper. China has more proven reserves, I think mainly because they have been prospecting for them. With improved mining and extraction technology, it would be cheaper to extract them in North America. See:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/periodicals/mcs2022/mcs2022-rare-earths.pdf

"Rare earths are relatively abundant in the Earth’s crust, but minable concentrations are less common than for most other mineral commodities. In North America, measured and indicated resources of rare earths were estimated to include 2.4 million tons in the United States and more than 15 million tons in Canada."

The U.S. and Canadian resources are enough for 60 years of worldwide production. Proven reserves in Brazil would last 75 years. So there is no need to depend on China.

• JedRothwell

You have Wolf Mountain in the USA - been closed for years because the owners would sooner deal cheaper Chinese materials. But there are plenty of reserves.

We can always make new lanthanides and rare earths starting with Mercury and some watts of ultrasound. The yield is not big enough, just yet. It was published by Cardone et al on the JCMNS in 2018 if I am not mistaken.

• Seems they also regulated US into oblivion intentionally.... with rules ect..

Where did you read that? As far as I know, it was all about money. The Chinese charge less. That's the same reason computers are all made in China and Taiwan these days. No one has regulated them out of business. Making computers is perfectly safe.

I think it is pretty stupid to ship most of our manufacturing to China. We lose the expertise and the ability to make computers, chips, or to mine rare earths. I do not think it is a good idea to become dependent on a communist dictatorship with a dreadful human rights record and navy larger than ours that threatens Taiwan. I have nothing against individual Chinese. On the contrary, some the cold fusion researchers there are a doing a great job and I like them a lot. But I do not like their government. Ditto Russia.

• I would think you did your background check on me by now Jed.

China, Russia, South Africa Italy, ect. A dealer in Shipping Equipment all my life .

All the new rules that landed on most are why we are in this mess.

and you know more then you let on for obvious reasons

All the steel mills, meds, everything went overseas to the COs established.by the system in play.

• Electric scooters catch fire while charging… 8 dead…
    MUMBAI (Reuters) – A fire that started at an electric scooter showroom in India killed at least eight people and injured 11 in the deadliest incident involving…
    citizenfreepress.com

A fire that started at an electric scooter showroom in India killed at least eight people and injured 11 in the deadliest incident involving electric vehicles in the country.

• Perhaps this one has been already posted in here, but Chile has embraced the “green hydrogen” bandwagon and there’s a lot of hype around it. This one is a project that made a lot of fuzz in local media because it got the interest of Porsche. They plan to use land based wind power to produce H and also capture CO2 to create synthetic fuels. ENEL is a private-public Chilean utility company partnering on the project.

"Haru Oni": Green Hydrogen made in Chile
    "Haru Oni": Green Hydrogen made in Chile
    www.enel.cl

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The world's first 100% hydrogen-powered train starts running in Germany

Just 1 kilo of hydrogen fuel can do the same as around 9.9 pounds of diesel.

The world's first 100% hydrogen-powered train starts running in Germany
    A French-based company Alstom produced the world's first %100 hydrogen train.
    interestingengineering.com

French-based company Alstom broke new ground in transportation. The company announced the world’s first hydrogen train, the Coradia iLint, reached Bremervörde, Lower Saxony, Germany.

This regional train only emits steam and condensed water while operating with a low noise level. With this breakthrough, it has been aimed to contribute to the greenest rail network globally, Alstom says.

“Emission-free mobility is one of the most important goals for ensuring a sustainable future, and Alstom has a clear ambition to become the world leader in alternative propulsion systems for rail," says Henri Poupart-Lafarge, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Alstom.

• So it takes 14 L of liquid H2 instead of 5 L of diesel?

• BMW have backed cylindrical cells to the tune of ten billion euros. The automaker, which has historically opted for prismatic cells, has tasked CATL and EVE Energy to each build two gigafactories with a total capacity of 80 GWh of cylindrical cells: one each in Europe and one each in China.

Although there are cylindrical announcements in all regions, North America looks set to see the biggest boost in the format, with its supply of cylindrical cells forecast to increase by over 300 times between now and 2035.

Regardless of cell format, automakers also need to choose the battery chemistry used. LMFP, a chemistry similar to LFP but with added manganese, is beginning to make moves into the auto industry. Dynanonic (an LFP producer) and Ronbay (an NCM producer) have both developed LMFP cathodes that are in testing with automakers.

Further upstream, natural graphite prices fell in August for the third month straight. This follows a eight-year high in May. Seasonal shutdowns combined with concerns raised by government inspections to cause the high prices, that are only now beginning to ease.

• Politico - The Death of Das Auto

Since the dawn of the automobile, Germany’s prowess in producing the combustion engine set German-made cars apart from the competition; in recent decades, the engine has also been one of the only major vehicle components still produced inside the country.

But as the industry goes electric, that leadership position becomes as irrelevant as the skills of an Italian master tailor in the face of fast fashion mass-produced in overseas factories. In the modern age of mobility, it’s the battery and software that offers the added value, not the engine.

The race to lead the electric revolution isn’t over, but it’s already far from clear if the likes of Mercedes, Volkswagen, BMW, Bosch — or indeed Porsche — will be able to keep pace. For the first time in the industry’s history, the prospect of Germany’s most storied brands suffering the fate of faded American powerhouses like Pontiac or Oldsmobile no longer seems like an impossibility.

It is remarkable how successful companies, filled with smart, ambitious bosses and piles of money can steer their companies onto the rocks.

I guess the landscape and the rocks move about and what worked last decade may not work next decade.

This chimes with a lot of what Jed has said in the past and the many examples he has provided.

The Europeans are also trying to address their projected lithium needs, but it is all going very slowly.

• British energy planning (a horror story)

British energy planning (a horror story) | James McSweeney | The Critic Magazine
    Looking for a light read? Perhaps a fairy tale to settle the kids before bed? If so, I highly recommend the publications page of the Department of Business,…
    thecritic.co.uk

Looking for a light read? Perhaps a fairy tale to settle the kids before bed?

If so, I highly recommend the publications page of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). You will find endless exciting tales about the near future. Stories of a high-tech world, in which humanity has “Built Back Greener” and enjoys prosperous existence in equilibrium with a revitalised natural world.

But perhaps fantasy is not your thing. Maybe you’d prefer something scary — a horror story to make your hair stand on end. Never fear — BEIS has you covered. As a fellow spookophile, I encourage you to scroll past the utopian titles, right to the bottom. Here we find the department’s “generation capacity” estimates.

Generation capacity is the amount of electricity our country can generate or import if supplied with sufficient fuel.

As with most horror stories, the setting will initially appear rosy. Aided by the world’s biggest offshore wind market, the amount of clean electricity the UK can generate is expected to soar ever upwards — hinting at a carbonless world just around the corner. Indeed, journals spanning from the Guardian to the Spectator have run glossy graphics to this effect.

• Oxford study Decarbonising the energy system by 2050 could save trillions.

They reckon that "fast transition to clean energy is cheaper than slow or no transition."

My layman's guess is that we need a mix of energy sources for at least the next decade because;

1. Solar and wind need storage and battery storage is still expensive.

2. Every energy source can be subject to black swan type crises (Fukushima, Russia/Ukraine, terrorist attacks, unusual weather patterns etc).

• British energy planning (a horror story)

To many idiots go into politics. With excess wind you can generate Hydrogen and fuel cells can deliver it on demand with seconds. That's like in Japan with >150'000 fuel cells in action.

Excess wind current costs 0 = zero cents so anything you produce out of it has a real value. Even if you waist > 50%.

Flow batteries currently are the best storage. But who wants to pay them?

But as said fools never learn and just enjoy parties... Check out

ESS Tech, Inc. (GWH)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.