LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• The book "Tomorrow's Energy" is about hydrogen fuel. It says German industry has been using hydrogen since the 1920s. They have a pipeline that has been operating flawlessly for a century. I think the hydrogen is used for industrial purposes rather than fuel. I suppose their long experience with hydrogen helped them with the latest hydrogen vehicles. They had notably less success with hydrogen airships.

• More about the white paint that will save the planet:

World's Whitest Paint Can Now Be Used to Cool Cars and Planes (gizmodo.com)

In a paper recently published in the Cell Reports Physical Science journal, it was revealed that using hexagonal boron nitride, a “substance mostly used in lubricants,” instead of barium sulfate, resulted in a white paint with 97.9% solar reflectance from an application thickness of just 0.15-millimeters. The new formulation was also highly porous and weighed 80% less than the previous paint made from barium sulfate while achieving nearly the same amount of light reflectance.

That means the new recipe for the world’s whitest paint allows it to finally be used on everything from cars, to planes, to even spacecraft, without any compromises in mileage, performance, or even their design. The new formulation takes the world’s whitest paint from being a scientific curiosity to a product with widespread commercial uses and advantages—assuming people will actually be able to get their hands on it. The team at Purdue has only revealed that they “are in discussions right now to commercialize it” but it could still be a while as there are “a few issues that need to be addressed, but progress is being made.”

• That means the new recipe for the world’s whitest paint allows it to finally be used on everything from cars, to planes, to even spacecraft, without any compromises in mileage, performance, or even their design.

Good news: In winter you can directly use your ultra white car as a fridge...So it only works perfect in summer...

• The Atlanta Journal reports they have finally begun loading Vogtle nuke #3 with fuel. They will turn it on sometime early next year. They hope to finish #4 by late next year.

GDPR Support

It is an economic disaster. Some interesting quotes:

. . . On Friday, [Georgia Power CEO] Womack acknowledged that getting to this point was challenging, but said the benefits outweigh the costs.

“It’s going to be worth it economically and it’s going to be worth it from a clean energy standpoint,” Womack said. “You’ve got carbon-free energy that will be running on our system for the next 60 to 80 years, so it’s a win-win.”

Critics like Liz Coyle, the executive director of the consumer advocacy group Georgia Watch, disagree. Coyle says that Georgia Power will profit, while its customers will pay handsomely for years to come.

By the time the reactors are completed, the average residential user will have already paid $900 to cover Vogtle construction costs, according to estimates by Georgia Public Service Commission (PSC) staff.

Even more rate hikes to cover the units’ growing costs are likely to kick in once the two units begin producing electricity. Exactly how much will be determined by the five elected members of the PSC.

“The only way these units could prove to be in the best economic interest of ratepayers is for the Public Service Commission to do the right thing and deny the company the ability to charge ratepayers for all their cost overruns,” Coyle said.

Georgia Power has estimated that baking in Vogtle costs could ultimately drive customers’ electricity rates up by 10%. However, analysis by commission staff has out the potential increase closer to 13%. In addition to any Vogtle related hikes, Georgia Power is also currently seeking the PSC’s approval of new electricity rates that could drive up the average customer’s annual bill up by nearly $200 over the next three years.

“It could be the most expensive form of generated energy in the history of this country,” Coyle said.

In the meantime, the company’s spending on the nuclear project is expected to climb further as work continues. . . .

• I get a newsletter about conventional energy. The headline today was, "Texas PUC approves virtual power plant pilot project. Here's how it will work" I wondered what a "virtual power plant" could be. An imaginary one? One that floats in the clouds, like cloud storage, only with real clouds?

The headline leads to this article, which is so prosaic it is a little disappointing:

Residential batteries and solar to support Texas grid

Residential batteries and solar to support Texas grid
    The DER Pilot Program lets Texans with home solar+battery solutions provide energy to the Texas grid at times when it’s most needed.
    www.renewableenergyworld.com

• As I read it, I get that they plan to consider the privatey owned home solar systems as part of the grid. As long as owners of the PV and back up system are well compensated, and that the grid can handle it, I don’t see it as a problem. I don’t think is a solid strategy, as battery back ups have many problems on their own, but If I had money to spare, such a model would allow to turn your roof in a source of income insteaf of just savings.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• As I read it, I get that they plan to consider the privatey owned home solar systems as part of the grid. As long as owners of the PV and back up system are well compensated, and that the grid can handle it, I don’t see it as a problem. I don’t think is a solid strategy, as battery back ups have many problems on their own, but If I had money to spare, such a model would allow to turn your roof in a source of income insteaf of just savings.

It doesn't work! Utilities pay far less for your extra energy than they charge you. It's only a win for the utilities.

• It doesn't work! Utilities pay far less for your extra energy than they charge you. It's only a win for the utilities.

I know this, and so far it’s the same all over the world (in some extreme cases like in Spain you are even taxed for seeking energy independence), but this new Texas project wants to correct that, at least that’s what I gathered from reading this article.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• As I read it, I get that they plan to consider the privatey owned home solar systems as part of the grid. As long as owners of the PV and back up system are well compensated, and that the grid can handle it, I don’t see it as a problem.

Yup, that's what the plan is. I do not think there would a problem with the grid. Each house adds only a little power. I assume the power is used right in the neighborhood. It does not have be transmitted long distances. Not like power from a remote wind turbine, or the 4 GW (!) Plant Vogle nuke complex in Georgia. Imagine transmitting 4 GW from Waynesboro GA to Atlanta! 160 miles.

I have to say though, 4 GW of nukes sure are compact. They fit in a small area. See:

7821 River Rd · 7821 River Rd, Waynesboro, GA 30830, USA
    7821 River Rd, Waynesboro, GA 30830, USA
    goo.gl

Granted, that does not include the space taken up by uranium mines and other things you need for nuclear power.

• It doesn't work! Utilities pay far less for your extra energy than they charge you. It's only a win for the utilities.

How much less? Obviously, they cannot pay you the full value. They are middlemen, buying goods from you and selling to others. Like wholesalers buying eggs from farmers and selling them in the city. They have to maintain their distribution network. They have to make a profit to stay in business.

If they pay far less than the market value, that is because they are a monopoly. In many states there is now competition among electric power generation companies. The grid is owned by one entity, but two or more companies generate the power. The customer can choose which company. I suppose this competition will lower the cost of electricity and increase the amount paid to homeowners for rooftop solar power. I hope it will.

See p. 4, and the sample bill showing different power companies:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJmoreaboutw.pdf

• How much less? Obviously, they cannot pay you the full value

Here in Chile is one third, which I think is a scam. The Chilean legislation is pretty abusive in this regards as the utility companies determine how much installed capacity you can have, and how much of it you can inject. The utility company can also put a cap on how much of what you inject can be subject to economic compensation. IMHO is absolutely lopsided and abusive, and as I install PV systems for irrigation, I have had more than my fair share of quarrels with the system, and have lost all of them, the utility company always has the last word.

• I Have only one choice for my electric. I added a rooftop system 8 years ago with the understanding that I would be compensated for Any energy supplied to the grid. By 2pm each day I start supplying the grid yet in 8 years I received less than $200 in credits from duke energy and still get a monthly bill. By the way, I'm required by law to be connected to the grid, I live in Florida, does that make sense?

• By 2pm each day I start supplying the grid yet in 8 years I received less than $200 in credits from duke energy and still get a monthly bill. By the way, I'm required by law to be connected to the grid, I live in Florida, does that make sense?

Well . . . At least they are not charging you for the electricity you generate for yourself. They would if they could!

Your situation might improve if there was more than one power company, and competition.

People in Hawaii install many rooftop solar panels, because the climate is ideal for that, and because they have the most expensive electricity in the U.S. Year ago, the power companies were fighting tooth and nail to stop this. It was pushing some of them to the brink of bankruptcy. Maybe they are reconciled now; I haven't heard. The power companies were pulling many stupid tricks, like delaying the installation of solar panels. I don't recall how the power companies did that. Some people got fed up, installed panels and batteries, and terminated their electric power service. Which you say you are not allowed to do.

• I Have only one choice for my electric. I added a rooftop system 8 years ago with the understanding that I would be compensated for Any energy supplied to the grid. By 2pm each day I start supplying the grid yet in 8 years I received less than $200 in credits from duke energy and still get a monthly bill. By the way, I'm required by law to be connected to the grid, I live in Florida, does that make sense?

In my part of Florida, roof solar has some big "gotchas" because of home insurance policies. Some home insurers won't insure homes with solar at all (something many find out after installing panels).

And most insurers now also require a new roof every 15 years. If the homeowner decides to replace the roof to keep full coverage, and has solar panels, the job is going to cost more, If they decide not to replace, keep the old one up there, the insurance company will switch their policy terms to "Actual Cash Value"...which means they get a depreciated replacement value when the next tornado rips the roof off.

Just another level of complexity (and cost) added to all the others, that turns people off to solar. It all seems so simple. Just stick those panels up there, kiss your high energy bills goodbye, and wait for your monthly check from the power company to come in the mail, but alas, it is not so.

• In my part of Florida, roof solar has some big "gotchas" because of home insurance policies. Some home insurers won't insure homes with solar at all (something many find out after installing panels).

And most insurers now also require a new roof every 15 years. If the homeowner decides to replace the roof to keep full coverage, and has solar panels, the job is going to cost more, If they decide not to replace, keep the old one up there, the insurance company will switch your policy terms to "Actual Cash Value"...which means you get a depreciated replacement value when the next tornado rips the roof off.

Just another level of complexity (and cost) added to all the others, that turns people off to solar. It all seems so simple. Just stick those panels up there, kiss your high energy bills goodbye, and wait for your monthly check from the power company to come in the mail. If only it were that simple.

Thanks to charlie crist and his siding with the power companies in 2005 after the hurricanes

• It all seems so simple. Just stick those panels up there, kiss your high energy bills goodbye, and wait for your monthly check from the power company to come in the mail, but alas, it is not so.

That's what many people think, but is totally not like that. In Spain you actually get taxed 35% further if you do that. They got a "King's edict" in 2017 that sided entirely with the utility companies and practically called all roof top panel installer people "smoochers".

• I am revising my paper, "How to fix global warming with cold fusion." People have made valuable suggestions and corrections. I thank them. That's the beauty of putting a preliminary version on line. It is embarrassing to have people find your mistakes, but revising and getting it right is more important than avoiding embarrassment.

The biggest mistake is that I forgot that wood is only ~50% carbon. Second biggest is I had to revise the number of robots needed. It was too high, for complicated reasons. I may cut up some wood with my Dremel tool to estimate how many liters a day a small robot could cut. I think my estimate of 5 liters per robot per day is too low. Does anyone want to hazard a guess? I based the original estimate on the hours that a tree service is allowed to work in Atlanta (from 7 am to 7 pm.), and how long it takes them to remove a tree. In a forest, the robots might work 24 hours a day, with low illumination. You can cut large branches or cut down trees without worrying where they fall. It is a lot faster than cutting trees in a city.

The biggest change I have made is to include an Appendix with an estimate of how much this project would cost. It is cheaper than I thought. I found good sources describing the present day cost of excavating surface mine coal, and shipping it. This one is excellent:

Coal prices and outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

QUOTE:

“In 2020, the national average sales price of coal (excluding anthracite) at coal mines was $28.88 per short ton, and the average delivered price of all coal delivered to the electric power sector was $36.14 per short ton. The difference is an average transportation cost of $7.26 per short ton, or about 20% of the average delivered price to the electric power sector.”

“In some cases, such as in long-distance shipments of Wyoming subbituminous coal to power plants in the eastern United States, transportation costs are more than the price of coal at the mine.”

Lots more good info.

This is pretty good:

Mining Industry Energy Bandwidth Study

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/11/f4/mining_bandwidth.pdf

I looked up the cost of machines that make charcoal. I found one that processes 4.5 tons per hour, and costs $240,000. It can process wood chips, sawdust, coffee grounds, rice husks, straw, peanut shells . . . you name it. Very interesting.

I assume that the cost of shipping 1 ton of charcoal from Georgia to Wyoming and then burying it will be roughly the same as the cost to dig up 1 ton of coal in Wyoming and ship it to Georgia. That may be pessimistic. Putting stuff in a hole in the ground may be cheaper than digging the hole in the first place.

I assume cold fusion will make energy costs zero, and robots will greatly reduce labor costs.

With one thing and another, to sequester 15 billion tons of carbon per year, I estimate it will cost $397 billion per year, worldwide. That does not account for some ancillary profits, such as cities paying the project to take yard trimmings, coffee grounds and other organic waste, to keep it from cluttering up local landfills. Quoting myself: "To put that in perspective, worldwide soft drink sales are $850 billion. So, for half of what we pay for fizzy drinks, we can reverse global warming and improve the quality of forests."

I will upload a new version in a few days.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.