LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• Another spinoff from hot fusion research money:

gyrotrons for ultra-deep drilling!

Fusion tech is set to unlock near-limitless ultra-deep geothermal energy
    MIT spin-off Quaise says it's going to use hijacked fusion technology to drill the deepest holes in history, unlocking clean, virtually limitless,…
    newatlas.com

Indeed, gyrotrons capable of generating continuous energy beams over a megawatt in power are now becoming available, and that's amazing news for deep drillers. "The scientific basis, technical feasibility, and economic potential of directed energy millimeter wave rock drilling at frequencies of 30 to 300 GHz are strong," wrote Ogilvy. "It avoids Rayleigh scattering and can couple/transfer energy to a rock surface 1012X more efficiently than laser sources in the presence of a small particle extraction plume. Continuous megawatt power millimeter-waves can also be efficiently (>90 percent) guided to great distances (>10 km) using a variety of modes and waveguide (pipes) systems, including the potential of using smooth bore coiled and jointed/ joined tubing."

"Thermodynamic calculations," he continued, "suggest a penetration rate of 70 meters/hour (230 ft/hour) is possible in 5 cm (1.97 in) bores with a 1-MW gyrotron that couples to the rock with 100 percent efficiency. Use of lower- or higher-powered sources (e.g. 100 kW to 2 MW) would allow changes in bore size and/or penetration rate."

• Lithium's record-breaking price rise has been a key topic this year. Benchmark's explanation of why lithium is expected to remain in a structural shortage until at least 2025 was our fourth most-read article of 2022.

When thinking about long-term (> 5 years) solutions we should, I think, usually ignore problems about raw material supply. Higher commodity prices lead to more exploration and mining lead to higher supply volume and lower prices. You get these bubbles because the timeframe to increase supply is quite long and when prices are low no-one has the money to do exploration.

• A planned discharge of treated water from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant into the sea will start around this spring or summer, some two years after a decision on its release was made, the government said Friday.

There is certainly plenty in hand...

https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/files/report_1_review_mission_to_tepco_and_meti.pdf

• Tanks storing treated radioactive water are lined up at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture. | KYODOTanks storing treated radioactive water are lined up at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture. | KYODO
  • RARE EARTH MINING IN NORWAY...

LKAB announced yesterday in front of the world press that the mining company made the largest find in Europe of rare earth metals. But yesterday's happy headlines are night black for Gabna Samiby - which now risks being split in half.- Reindeer management in the area is facing a collapse, says Karin Kvarfordt Niia from Gabna Sami village.

There were happy faces when LKAB and Minister of Economic Affairs Ebba Busch presented the news on Thursday. The new find is an important building block to cope with the so-called green transition, they stated. With the world press on site in Kiruna during the EU summit, the news spread quickly around the world. At the same time, not far from the mine, the reindeer herders in Gabna Sami village took part in the news - and for them this means something completely different. - We have only heard that they are investigating that area and now they are going out with this, right now, it feels like a PR trick, says Karin Kvarfordt Niia.

One of the most vulnerable Sami villages Gabna is one of the most vulnerable Sami villages in Sweden when it comes to encroachment and land exploitation. Since a century ago, they have been strongly affected by LKAB's activities - not only the mining itself but also through the city relocation where Kiruna's new center is located in their area. They called a press conference on Friday together with the National Confederation of Swedish Sami. The reason was LKAB's plans. Both the E10 and the railway – via which LKAB's ore is transported to Narvik – along Gabna's reindeer pastures. And as if that wasn't enough, another mining company, Kaunis Iron, transports its ore along Gabna's reindeer pastures. The reindeer are therefore run over by both cars and trains every year.

If LKAB's plans become reality, the Sami village now risks being split in half. Then it is no longer possible to carry out traditional reindeer husbandry.

Samebyn om LKAB:s planer: ”Vi offras för att lösa EU:s beroende av Kina och Ryssland”
    LKAB meddelade igår inför världspressen att gruvbolaget gjort det största fyndet i Europa av sällsynta jordartsmetaller. Men gårdagens glädjerubriker är…
    www.svt.se

• Sad news... The problem could be solved by hydro-wave technology, due to which tritium is destroyed in LRW... In 2011, the developer of hydro-wave technology offered his services... technology ... I think that the Japanese were perplexed how the Coulomb barrier was overcome in hydrowave technology, and therefore they did not believe Vladimir Stepanovich Afanasyev ...

Thousands of physicists who conduct experiments in the field of cold nuclear fusion have faced this problem - they have not found the Coulomb barrier ... And they are perplexed and at a loss. But everything turned out to be simple - there is no "electrostatic charge according to Maxwell" on electrons and protons, there is no "electric field according to Maxwell" ... And what is there? And there are magnetic interactions of free electrons, which in the experiments of Charles Coulomb were located on the surfaces of balls... Opposite magnetic poles, which formed free electrons, led to attraction, and similar magnetic poles, which formed free electrons, led to repulsion.

Reading paragraph 39 and paragraph 40, you still do not suspect that in paragraph 42, Maxwell unexpectedly changes EVERYTHING for you - before that, he has m, n, e - these are quantities that do not have a dimension, and then he introduces a dimension for them, and then You return to point 39 and point 40 and understand that such a change in the rules of the game changes all previous reasoning -

F is not equal to H

Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, James Clerk Maxwell, 1873 - http://newtonsociety.ru/base/data/236ru.pdf - Chapter "Electrostatics"

Thanks for communication ! I wish you success and health in the New Year!

• Albeit I still haven’t been able to get a full picture of this “hydro wave” technology you talk about, I see it has an overlap with what many others have done and/or proposed, like the work of Ryushin Omasa in Japan, who has experimental data on tritium inactivation and was also dismissed in 2013 (and more recently through the proposal of the MFMP to the Japanese Government). I also see a great degree of overlap, from another point of view, between the proposals of Q Hydrogen and the “hydro wave”, specially because the hydrowave uses the shape of the propeller to create the resonant cavitation, while Omasa uses his vibrating fans that also create a lot of resonant cavitation.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• 137-Cs is the least problem for nature as it is very soluble and does not accumulate above critical values except in food that die - like mushrooms - at maximum content time. Compared to all waste that made it to teh ocean about 20 full nuke loads - the 137-Cs is just a grain of salt.

• 137-Cs is the least problem for nature as it is very soluble and does not accumulate above critical values except in food that die - like mushrooms - at maximum content time. Compared to all waste that made it to teh ocean about 20 full nuke loads - the 137-Cs is just a grain of salt.

The problem is not large radioactive elements... like caesium-137. Reverse osmosis technology allows such radioactive elements to be removed and concentrated... But tritium is not retained by the membrane - tritium enters the LRW storage tanks with "purified" water... This is tritium water in its essence... They are going to dump it into the ocean. .. and that's bad...

• Interesting YouTube video by Sabine explaining the problems with hydrogen.

Sabine Hossenfelder Hydrogen Will Not Save Us.

I had not done too much reading up on hydrogen but had a vague idea that it was not likely to be used in cars but might be useful as a fuel for shipping.

Also the UK has suggested mixing hydrogen in with our domestic piped gas supplies so less natural gas is used.

I suspect that hydrogen leakage would be a serious issue.

I also wonder whether "embrittlement" of the piping would be an issue, or does that only occur when hydrogen is under high pressure.

I had read that Toyota and other Japanese motor manufacturers are big on promoting hydrogen because they think hydrogen fuelled cars will be very similar to petrol vehicles and thus they can preserve their huge web of supply chain partners.

"Because EV’s have a smaller parts count, and the remaining parts lend themselves to mass production, effectively cutting out boutique manufacturers making a single part for a vehicle. The economic consequences of dropping all those mom&pop workshops would be massive (Japan fundamentally has a high skew towards small companies). So hydrogen fuel cell vehicles were a fig leaf attempt to keep Japanese ICE engine parts manufacturers from going bankrupt, and the Japanese government fully understands that their introduced hydrogen requirements are actually a jobs subsidy program in disguise."

According to Sabine;

The Hydrogen Council that promotes hydrogen power was created by the oil and gas industry as they want to make hydrogen using natural gas.

I mentions an analyses that says creating grey hydrogen and blue hydrogen using natural gas. The difference is that blue hydrogen uses carbon capture to make it supposedly “greener”. Then using the hydrogen to generate electricity but is not much different to just using natural gas to generate electricity!!!

Grey and blue hydrogen is cheapest method but does not save us from greenhouse gases.

Green hydrogen created using solar power is inefficient because of fluctuations in availability of solar power, and therefore expensive.

Hard to store hydrogen at several hundred time atmospheric pressure which means heavy storage vessels and the hydrogen diffuses into the casing causing “embrittlement”.

Hydrogen fuel cell generate water which means in cold temperatures if freezes and damages the tubes and membranes of the fuel cell (“cold-start” problem).

The proton exchange membranes need platinum and iridium. These are rare, only sourced from a few countries, and there simply isn’t enough to create a huge hydrogen economy based on fuel cells.

So looks like too many problems with hydrogen for it to be widely adopted and a large part of the push to hydrogen is actually from vested interest groups such as fossil fuel and ICE vehicle manufacturers who are more interested in protecting their bottom line than saving the planet.

I suppose that should not really be a surprise.

• I had read that Toyota and other Japanese motor manufacturers are big on promoting hydrogen because they think hydrogen fuelled cars will be very similar to petrol vehicles and thus they can preserve their huge web of supply chain partners.

No this is not the case. Hydrogen cars are fully electric just the accumulator is replaced by a Gas tank that is totally different from a gasoline tank. Hydrogen cars can have any range up to 1000 miles. The fuel cell efficiency is in the range of 45..55% Producing Hydrogen from current can be highly efficient up to 80% but afterwards you have to compress it further...So net current used at the end might be 30%. With gasoline in city traffic its 1% and at best 40..50% with a good turbo on a highways with constant speed. But refining transport also cost about 20% of the fuel at least so it 30% too but at best the other is always.

Hydrogen cars produces excess heat what is nice during winter times...

• No this is not the case. Hydrogen cars are fully electric just the accumulator is replaced by a Gas tank that is totally different from a gasoline tank.

Thanks for this.

I saw pictures of hydrogen cars being filled like a petrol car so it sounded plausible that there was some kind of engine involved.

That is the problem with pseudo-authoritative statements from random people on the Internet.

Hydrogen cars produces excess heat what is nice during winter times...

Apart from the "cold-start" issue that Sabine mentions.

She does say that pre-heating systems are being explored as a possible solution, but of course that also uses energy.

• I suspect that hydrogen leakage would be a serious issue.

I also wonder whether "embrittlement" of the piping would be an issue, or does that only occur when hydrogen is under high pressure.

Issues like this have been addressed. There are technical solutions to these problems. They might not be cost-effective; I wouldn't know about that. See the book "Tomorrow's Energy" for details.

A hydrogen distribution pipeline has been operating in Germany since the 1920s without any problems, so there is no doubt it can be done.

• Not the one I was referring to, but a similar content. The natural gas pipeline grid is generally useable, will require minor adoptions, mainly in addional or new compressor stations. A good read …

A complete switch to a 100 percent hydrogen pipeline requires installing new and more turbines or motors and more powerful compressors to deliver the three-times higher volume flow of hydrogen compared to natural gas.

Repurposing gas pipelines for hydrogen
    How legacy infrastructure can become the backbone of a H2-based energy system.
    www.siemens-energy.com

• Albeit I still haven’t been able to get a full picture of this “hydro wave” technology you talk about, I see it has an overlap with what many others have done and/or proposed, like the work of Ryushin Omasa in Japan, who has experimental data on tritium inactivation and was also dismissed in 2013 (and more recently through the proposal of the MFMP to the Japanese Government). I also see a great degree of overlap, from another point of view, between the proposals of Q Hydrogen and the “hydro wave”, specially because the hydrowave uses the shape of the propeller to create the resonant cavitation, while Omasa uses his vibrating fans that also create a lot of resonant cavitation.

LENRs are with no doubt a new hope to fix the tritium problem:

https://patents.google.com/pat…29249A1/fr?oq=FR2729249A1+

• OK so I decided to check out the story of the comment in my post above that I read somewhere about Toyota banking on hydrogen cars to help keep Japanese car suppliers in business.

Toyota does indeed have subsidiaries and suppliers that are gearing up for fuel cell production and related EV components.

Toyota is also investing in a hydrogen combustion engine which will be able to fit with some of its long standing ICE component suppliers.

So it looks like Toyota and Japan are indeed aiming to safeguard their car manufacturers business by adapting, in some cases by evolving towards hydrogen fuel-cells but also making a push for hydrogen combustion vehicles.

So the win here is for the Japanese manufacturing base and they can tout hydrogen combustion as "green".

Meanwhile they will get a lot of support from the fossil fuel industry because the main way to make hydrogen is to use natural gas.

Whether this pans out for them remains to be seen.

See this article for example;

Toyota hydrogen combustion engine vehicles.

"Toyota believes that hydrogen can also prove to be useful in combustion engines. The automaker recently demonstrated a custom-built GR Yaris with a hydrogen combustion engine that it has been developing for some time. These events have led to several tier one suppliers deciding to take hydrogen seriously, following in Toyota's footsteps in order to develop technology to stay current in a hydrogen future.

One of these suppliers is BorgWarner, a company that specializes in turbochargers for combustion vehicles. BorgWarner has since branched out past accessories for combustion engines, developing a line of electric drive motors for EVs and other components to ensure that its future is well-footed in when the combustion engine goes mostly extinct. The manufacturer is also launching a complete lineup of accessories for hydrogen combustion motors, according to Automotive News, including fueling components and an engine control unit."

• So the win here is for the Japanese manufacturing base and they can tout hydrogen combustion as "green".

This idea is nonsense. As soon as you use plain air you always produce NOx....

Meanwhile they will get a lot of support from the fossil fuel industry because the main way to make hydrogen is to use natural gas.

Whether this pans out for them remains to be seen.

In future Hydrogen will exclusively come from excess green current. Using oil is a crazy idea of clueless, old fashioned management.

• This idea is nonsense. As soon as you use plain air you always produce NOx.

Japan is cutting a deal with Australia to import solar energy powered electrolytic hydrogen. Though how much is unclear.

https://www.reuters.com › business › energy › japans-sojit...
    12 Jan 2022 — Japanese trading house Sojitz Corp said on Wednesday it would conduct a demonstration project to produce green hydrogen in Australia and ...

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.