MacGyver (aka JohnyFive) LENR experiment

• Here is likely the simplest way how to make working cell with what you can "find" at home. If done similarly it will just work.

Titanium flake, Nickel wires, Lithium, D2O, jar and 4 - 5V DC power supply. That is all what you need.

WARNING: This cell is emitting radiation or radioactive particles of unknown kind. Get big pancake detector with thin mica window to detect them. Do not use GM tube based detectors.

After 3 and more days you can measure 3 - 5x of background level at the top of the cell or near the surface of a cover of the cell.

• REVISED RECIPE:

1. Cathode: Get approx. 10x5x5 mm flake of Titanium sponge, preferably 99,9% purity – Sigma Aldrich, Merck or Alfa Aesar, ThermoFisher will be fine for sure. But any similarly sized Ti sponge will work.
    2. Anode: Get Nickel Wire around 26AWG. 99% purity. It must be just wire! Very likely size ratio between Cathode, Anode is key factor. Anode will oxidize quickly, but it is not an issue.
    3. Get D2O, preferably 99,9% purity
    4. Get Lithium metal
    5. Use nickel wire for attaching Titanium sponge at the top, so that nickel wire will be not immersed in D2O mixture.
    6. Get LiOD from Li + D2O reaction, 100mg Li in 5 - 10ml D2O.
    7. Use stabilized DC power supply (Cathode -, Anode +) and power it, let it run at around 0.2W - 0.5W for over 3 days. Too high current will destroy the anode. For this reason smaller current (50mA) is recommended at least from the beginning. If current is too high the D2O solution will evaporate quickly too.
    8. Right from the start put a printing paper above the cell so that vapor is trapped by it.
    9. Get A Pancake GM detector with thin mica window - preferably Russian Si-8B, Si-14B or similar.

After roughly 3 days the water solution will likely become completely black. From that moment you will likely obtain an elevated radiation level. My rough estimate is that in 10 hours one could be able to measure something interesting, not sooner.

IMPORTANT:

Measured radiation is of unknown type and source yet but likely it is soft Beta with energy under 20keV. Observed behavior is that the cell is filled with radioactive particles floating in the air, rather accumulated inside. They are likely escaping the cell through the top opening - for this reason a surface that can trap them is required in order to measure them.

MEASUREMENT:

Folded sheet of white printing 80g paper was cut for a proper size and used with success as cell cover. This paper can be then moved and placed directly at the mica window which will instantly show elevated radiation if the paper was covering the cell for a sufficiently long time. I recommend at least 3 hours exposition.

No air flow is recommended during measurement as the radioactive particles seems to be affected even by air.

Once the cell started to produce radioactive products it will do so as long as the cell is powered.

For unknown reason the paper show higher radiation readings from the opposite side (upper) than the bottom that is in direct contact with a vapor.

Alternatively, grab the detector and place it in close vicinity (< 10mm) to the paper directly above the cell. So that the paper is still lying at the cell.

GUESS:

Floating particles seems to be reacting with all nearby materials. This is then producing radiation. If such particle reacts once it will disappear = You need to produce new in the cell. This could mean that there is no half life, but local condition does not allow to store such particles for longer time.

Observed Half-Life is within 20 - 40 minutes. This mean that even after the cell is powered off the products will be still there.

NOTE:

Changing Cathode or Anode will require next conditioning that might take another 3 days.

OBSERVATION:

When electrolysis is turned off the water will change from black back to crystal clear with white residue from LiOD. This will happen within few minutes.

Strange, soft but unhealthy air smell is noticed after prolonged run. This could lead to at least lungs irritation - not healthy for sure. Wear a proper gas mask and protective clothings.

WARNING:

Do not try it at Home. Even that radiation level is rather insignificant it is of unknown type and source yet. Because you are unable to measure it with your detector it does not mean it is not there. Be aware that at least D,O,D2O is released from the cell!

LICENSE DISTRIBUTION

This recipe and related info is distributed under Creative Commons 4 license - BY-NC-ND. See attached file.

• It look like the effect is 100% reproducible.

The cell photographed yesterday is running just for 18 hours with completely everything new and I can get already clearly at least 2x background level.

The paper that is covering the cell can be left without any movement. It is enough to just put the pancake detector within 1 - 10mm vicinity from the paper and the Ludlums survey meter is clicking significantly more. Anywhere else there are no additional clicks. And yes, there are many similar papers with no activity around :)

I am just wondering what all the scientists were doing for 30 years!!! It is so easy and inexpensive and I am certain it is not artifact.

You do not have to perform any special cleaning nor use an inert atmosphere, etc. Any garage-man with clean hands can do this.

I tried also Anode/Cathode from other batches. And it just works. Still can't believe it, but yes.

I would really like to see face of some skeptic here.

• Official Post

JF,

I've not seen this Creative Common 4 License used for something like this before. As I read it, this is a contract between you, and we the readers, so as to protect your copyright to the recipe. Can you put in plain language what the terms and conditions are?

I have no problem with this. Pretty interesting twist really. I see it is usually enforceable in court, but not always. It might be of use to others, who do not have the money to go the more traditional, and expensive route of hiring a patent attorney.

• It is way to ensure that some clever scientist will not say it is his work and patent it again as they are doing it. Then everything would be wasted.

I would like to make it usable and freely available.

I think MFMP is using same license.

• There are multiple papers available online in which a current running between two electrodes separated by a short distance of water and lithium based electrolyte produces strange radiation that passes through the thin plastic tubing and produces tracks on a variety of media. One interpretation is that these are EVOs that are in a dark mode which makes them only semi-interactive with matter. I think there are a multitude of different ways to enhance the effect. For example, in one of these papers, permanent magnets augmented the effect. I think a rotating magnetic field would produce a more significant boost.

• Thanks! I can try to play with magnets around. Probably putting an AC heater with temp under 500 deg C could do the trick. Some time ago Andrea Rossi revealed AC is required, right?
    Nothing to loose with this simple test.

It is just unclear for me how I should treat the reaction products. It look like they could react with pretty anything in some way. When thinking it is reacting with air now, what it is actually producing? Maybe this could explain why I can notice a strange smell - I never experienced this.

And how is it safe actually? To continue in the experiments I would like to find answer for this first.

If these are EVOs or UDH it might react differently with different materials. So I could try to place a various things close to the source and to measure radiation.

Another thing I would like to find is - how to change wet cell to dry cell to get the same effect? The issue is dry cell would be very likely closed system. So measuring radiation like now is not possible. But if I'll find a material or way that could generate more penetrating radiation it could escape the chamber either in wet and dry reactor. So then I will be able to determine if this thing is working properly in all cases.

My wish is to produce Muons in some way. But how Russ is producing them? This is the question. Presence of EVOs/UDH is likely the very first step.

• Thinking more --- what if magnetic field intensity & polarity changes could somehow produce muons from EVOs/UDH?

What if it should be just at a proper intensity to get muons? Then having plenty of muons - muon catalyzed fusion could be pretty easy.

Love these speculations.

• Here are a few random thoughts.

Have you studied all the chemical reactions that could be taking place in the cell? A year ago I studied many of the reactions that can take place in ordinary HHO cells between electrode materials, vessel wall materials, electrolytes, and other interior components. There are quite a few reactions that can do well understood but odd things -- turning water blue and so fourth. Is there any chemical reaction that could be turning the liquid black?

Have you done anything to try and produce track marks of the strange radiation? There are a number of papers floating around the net where different films and materials are used to produce tracks. In some cases, layers of these films are used to track the movement of the particles three dimensionally.

I've heard magnetic materials can trap strange radiation. I've also heard that strange radiation can make some magnetic materials, such as iron, oxidize and rust very rapidly. Are you willing to see what would happen if you placed a piece of such material near the vessel?

To answer one of your questions, Andrea Rossi at one time was indicating that an AC was required. However, I do NOT think this is a strict requirement for powerful LENR systems, but my guess is that the alternating magnetic field produced could form and stabilize EVOs (strange radiation).

Also, have you tried to temporarily boost the voltage to see what happens?

Oh, can you send us pictures of the different stages of the water turning black and then crystal clear?

• Regarding color - the only chemical explanation that would satisfy me is from nickel oxides. Oxides will somehow dissolve in the solution, maybe. But where they are disappearing? There is nothing solid in the solution. For sure anode must leave something.

But the radiation level is or can be elevated even when water is still clear and anode with no visible mark of oxidation.

Yes, I was thinking about something to obtain a tracks. At least X-ray film would be helpful. Cloud chamber is the best I guess.

Yes, I tried to increase voltage rapidly. But nothing strange except more bubbles. And I did not wanted to destroy anode.

But since replication is not an issue anymore I can try whatever that seems to be clever.

• I've started assembling the supplies for a replication. I have Ni wire, and will order the D2O and Ti sponge from Sigma. I also have LiOH but that would leave H+ ions in the electrolyte, so I'll try dropping in a chunk of Li metal as described, standing well back!

Once the details are sorted, I'll run the experiment with a gamma spectrometer and a Li6-I neutron detector in close proximity to the paper cover. I also have a pancake GM detector but it may be difficult to cluster all three instruments close enough to the cell top. Maybe a wider jar would help, though more electrolyte would be needed and D2O isn't cheap.

The experiment will be streamed in some form on my server, probably 10-second snapshots of the data.

AlanG

• https://www.linkedin.com/pulse…ology-dr-matthew-moynihan

Here is more food for thought. My guess is that rotating magnetic fields create a rotamak like condition in LENR systems, producing various sizes of EVOs and the various stimuli (x-rays, electrons, neutrons) that have all been speculated to be inducers of LENR.

What I would find interesting is the setup described in this thread placed in a cylinder wrapped with a three phase winding to produce a rotating axial magnetic field.

• Very well! I am glad someone will try it too. I am sure you will not regret it. You should obtain the same results. If not I will help you until it will work but I guess chance for a failure is pretty small.

Don't worry about putting Lithium in a water. I am throwing one piece of pure lithium (100mg) there, wait for a minute - in distance - and it is done. Water will heat up and sputter little bit around.

The experiment is great because after all other I've seen there is direct feedback. This is telling me something is really going on. And it is great starting point to do something useful with it.

Moreover it is working in the air so many problems are avoided.

My neutron detector and NaI are blind to it. But I've never tried to put it as close as the pancake. I think that it must react with the particles in order to register it.

Moving pancake close to the top of the cell with the paper or putting the paper at the detector worked always for me. So I think the particles are just highly accumulated around.

Who knows, maybe high voltage sparks in the pancake emitted from background radiation actually triggers the reaction. If I am not wrong each such spark is emitting soft EM radiation to the environment.

What if I will put something stronger around?

• UPDATE: I tried to put a thin silver foil atop the paper that is covering the cell.

I waited for at least 12 hours and tried to measure radiation. There was nearly zero difference from background.

Then I've removed the foil and found that the foil had a lot of condensed water at the bottom side and so the paper was wet too.

No radiation was measured at the foil nor the paper.

Then I placed the folded paper again at the cell and waited few hours. And there was again nothing - no elevated radiation.

Then I replaced the paper for a new one (dry), again folded and waited for a few hours. And finally, radiation is 3 times of background.

So I highly recommend to use DRY and FOLDED PAPER. Wet paper is somehow eating the particles or whatever it is.

It look like a single sheet of paper is also not working well. Folded paper is just ideal.

• magicsound : I'm interested in the gamma spectrum. But some radiation is well above 3MeV.

Will you post the link for followers?

Yes, the data streaming will be real-time and public, as I have done for the Glowstick experiments. The link will be posted here and at other sites. My spectrometer is currently calibrated for detection of 50 KeV to 4 MeV.

Alan Smith I'm aware of past reports of possible neutron emission from Ti+D, though the paper you referenced apparently did not detect anything above background. Needs to be watched for though.

Millipore-Sigma notified me that Titanium Sponge is pyrophoric and cannot be shipped to me without a hazardous materials license. Their minimum quantity was 250 g anyway, far more than I need. I will use Ti "swarf" instead. That is, coiled lathe-turning scraps which can be twisted together into a bundle of appropriate shape and size, and is is easy to get. The surface area per mass will be substantially less, so a bigger cathode size might be needed.

AlanG

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.