MacGyver (aka JohnyFive) LENR experiment

• Again I have to mention that the pancake detector is really sensitive for this kind of radiation. BUT the radiation source must be really close. It looks that the particles are annihilated by anything metallic. But putting any metal at the paper will actually not change the counts (from other side than what is measured) - counts are still clearly elevated.

On the other hand I have tried other tests to exclude some static electricity charging by grounding surface of the paper. And grounding is not affecting it at all.

Moreover my Pancake detector is powered by Ludlums survey metter - from batteries. I like this survey meter a lot because it is really immune to any kind of RF.

Great thing about the Pancake detector is that you can really see discharges so there is no doubt about radiation presence.

• Thanks @JohnyFive for the replies.

It could be that the relative background could be interesting even if it is a bit contaminated. Actually maybe even more relevant in some ways.

But I can also understand if you may also be concerned about using that if it relates to other experiments you are running that you prefer to keep close at this time.

Could be interesting to do your self if you haven’t already . Just in case it gives some clues.

It’s Interesting that you used LiOD... I wish I had more time to keep up with things. I miss some details like this sometimes even though it’s clearly stated. My Apologies for that.

Lithium is interesting if it produces two 3.4 MeV alpha. Some times the broad spectrum aspect of these kinds of plots seem to me to look like they correspond to a Q value not far off this. But how that would correspond to the half-life behavior you see on the paper when you remove it.... I have no idea.

Given your thoughts about gamma... It does seem it could imply beta or alpha are generated in and from the paper. It would be strange for Be8 to continue to be captured or generated there in the paper after the paper is removed though... I suppose activation of carbon etc by bomardment would have similar constraints...

It’s a good experiment for its simplicity and the questions it raises..

I’m enjoying following when I can. Good luck with It.

• Well, for example yesterday I've made measurements, got 6 times of background. The activated paper was out of the cell. And it was left in place. 12 hours later I was able to measure background level, occasionally 1,2x of background level. So it seems to be not perfect background, but under measurement error. But with increased time it returns at background level completely.

In my POV it could be UDD ...... OR ...... T2O or DTO.

If it is UDD then it is ejecting a particles because of EM stimulation coming from the Pancake. If yes, then it would be enough to design a similar device but with more generated pulses.

If it is tritium based vapor then it is measurable just until it is evaporated in the air. Then it would look like a half life is so short.

Or did any of you worked with Tritiated water?

• Precision is approximately 3keV per bin.

But why do you think there must be something visible with NaI scintillator? Why UDD should radiate gamma rays?

• Here I have Ludlum 44-103 3x3" detector with small mod. Unfortunately I have no calibration source here at the moment. But it is not hard to identify peaks

That is a large and sensitive scintillator, and although it doesn't appear in the Ludlum catalog, there's a description and photos here.

But that doesn't tell us anything about the calibration or the scale of the plot you displayed. Can you please further describe what the Ludlum scintillator is connected to, and how the software is set up to generate the plot you posted. You hinted that you captured another plot showing the K40 peak(s), which led you to believe there is an offset in the K40 peak of ~150 KeV. Which direction? Can you share that plot with us?

If the horizontal scale of your experiment plot is within the 150 KeV you mentioned, I found these possible corresponding signatures from the data at

http://www.radiochemistry.org/…mma_spectra_htm/index.htm

29Al 2028 & 2426 KeV 6.6 minute half-life

56Mn 1811 & 2113 KeV 2.6 hour half-life

AlanG

• It would be easy to get a thoriated welding electrode, isnt it? Likely I have more than kilo of KOH and even more of NaOH.

Maybe I will get uranium ore.
    But again, why do you think NaI must see something? It is technically impossible that NaI with metallic cover will register particles with energy under 20keV.

But yes, it is required to measure everything possible.

On the other hand Pancake can detect it without any problem - 6x background. With some tweaks it could be one order higher. BUT only within close vicinity which again confirms it is low energetic particle.

And yet I still don't know about many other kind of particles that any of my detectors can't pick up but could be present.

• Originally I can connect NaI scintillator with my Ludlums survey meter as I can set basically any voltage there.

But presently I have some converter from Gamma Spectacular that is used widely for sound scintillography. Not the best but is versatile. It is connected to a computer and due to length of the cables it is hard to manipulate.

• @JohnyFive I don't think NaOH will do much good here. You are after enough potassium to overcome the very low flux of decay (1.26 billion year T1/2) for the 0.012% 40 K likely in the KOH or in the banana for that matter-- but unlike thorium (alpha emitter) the emission there is a 1.3 MeV beta (and a beta + that converts to gammas). Thoriated electrodes for TIG welding are quite common. Depending on the thorium content in such welding rods, you might get somewhere with this alpha emitter. Natural thorium has an even longer half life of 14 billion years (so nearly 12 fold lower inherent flux rate), but essentially the radio thorium is 100% of the natural isotope, so the 12 times longer half life is more than balanced by over 800 times as much radioisotope present. But, the thorium concentration in such rods is important, and whether a 4 MeV alpha serves as a checksource, may be another question. "White gas" lantern mantles are a famous source for radio thorium. I suspect the concentration of thorium in those is far higher than the welding electrodes.

• Official Post

It would be easy to get a thoriated welding electrode, isnt it? Likely I have more than kilo of KOH and even more of NaOH.

Thoriated welding rods are seldom a good source in my experience. I suspect they contain less than the claimed 2% concentration. If you can get some yellowcake that would be helpful, but it is rather closely controlled in Europe. Get a smoke detector, they have an Americium slug inside that can be useful, also Fiesta Ware pottery with a radioactive glaze is worth hunting for on Ebay.

• also Fiesta Ware pottery with a radioactive glaze is worth hunting for on Ebay.

That's hilarious! What's their advertising slogan?

"Have a memorable Fiesta at your next festive party with glow-in-the-dark dinnerware."

It reminds me of the radium drinking craze of 1900:

For that Healthy Glow, Drink Radiation!

https://www.popsci.com/scitech…lthy-glow-drink-radiation

(Yeah, yeah, I know the plates don't actually glow in the dark.)

• @IobseRvable no. It wasnt meant to be my nick.

UPDATE: Today new experiment was started with everything identical except instead of D2O - H2O was used. Maybe tomorrow I will have some results.

I am very curious.

• I'm very interested in learning if H2O produces the same or similar results. If not, I think a modification of the setup, fuel prep, electrolyte levels, voltage, or other factors would allow it to work in the same manner. For example, if it doesn't work with straight DC voltage (is that what you are using) square waves or certain frequencies with RF piggy backed on the signal may enhance spheromak formation. I also wonder what would happen if the cathode was first exposed in a sealed tube with an atomic hydrogen source such as LiAlH4 or even from a hydrogen cracker device (a hot tungsten filament, an arc discharge, etc).

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.