MacGyver (aka JohnyFive) LENR experiment

• UPDATE: I was able to measure activated paper alone without affecting detector by any other particles from the cell.

By repeated measurements I can now conclude that what I am measuring are really Alpha particles and likely nothing else.

There is another possible explanation that you should try to rule out. Geiger counters are sensitive to electrostatic fields. Here is a report of someone who discovered that the static charge on plastic bags was enough to increase the apparent background counts on their 44-9 Geiger-Müller (GM) pancake probe.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q10421.html

It is possible that your experiment is depositing charged particles on the paper and that is creating a high enough electrostatic field to increase the counts in your Geiger counter. This may be a more likely cause than alpha particles.

You could test this theory by trying to charge up a paper with a static charge and see if it produces similar counts. Or you could buy or borrow an electrostatic field meter of the type used in clean rooms and see if the paper from your experiment has a higher electrostatic charge after activation.

• nickec

The closest is 700 Km away, unfortunately. Anyway, the impression I got is that it seems mostly a Mizuno- or Japanese-specific term and that not many people besides Longview (due to search hits from LENR-Forum) must have read his book.

• nickec

I have no idea, to be honest. From Wikipedia it looks like it might be the case, but it sounds like it's a laborious process. In either case, I think it would be best if the information was available to everybody and if there was more than one source for it other than Mizuno.

I was interested mainly because in another comment on the subject (also from LENR-Forum) it was mentioned that the Nernst pressure is equivalent to the fourth power of current density, which would not imply that the higher the better, but also that over a certain threshold this would quickly lead to astronomical equivalent pressures. On the other hand, generally speaking in electrolytic cold fusion experiments very high currents are avoided to not to not boil off expensive D2O and damaging the anode.

In some of my personal tests (not related with JohnyFive replications with Ti sponges, flakes or wires) I've been using very large currents in what could be defined as "unconventional" electrolysis, but that's off-topic here. EDIT: I'll create a dedicated thread once I'll get suitable monitoring equipment and confirm that there's indeed something.

• @JF

Do you monitor energetic particles continuously during an experiment?

Can you please share more about the trend?

For instance:

First hour, same as background

Second through 71st hour, same as background

72nd hour till today, for a week, 2-8 times background

• I have a friend, Larry Ollud, who has several semi trailers full of books. I avoid this by borrowing from libraries. The number of books I might otherwise need to store would add to many tons.

Besides, librarians love to work for patrons. I do my best to keep as many of them busy as possible.

That said, Jed, others may invest in a copy and donate it to some library.

• After replacing a failed CPU and updating most of the software, my lab computer is finally working.

I'm collecting background data with the cell in place but not yet filled with electrolyte. Streaming data can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMmOI5BWO5c

until U-tube shuts it off anyway. Quality seems much better than the last time I used it (for streaming the LION replication in May).

The cell is assembled and connected but no electrolyte yet. In the second image below you can see the NaI scintillator on the left in its lead cave, and the GM pancake detector in its yellow box on the right.

I expect to start the active run at around 16:00 UTC

AlanG

• magicsound I wish you a good luck!

All is looking identical with mine.

The only question is, if you will be able to take the paper from the cell and place at the Pancake detector?

If so, don't forget to place it so that top side of the paper is closer to the mica window. I guess that 1-3 days exposure time is enough.

And you can always put the paper back to make another exposure.

I am using metallic tweezers to manipulate the paper. And I try to avoid any unnecessary or fast movements or contact with the activated surface.

Remember to not use too high power, 50mW is just enough.

• As expected, the U-tube live stream shut down after 4 hours. Restarted now - here's the new link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oxaidZJBdI

At 09:00 local (16:00 UTC) the overnight background data was saved, then 15 ml of electrolyte was added to the cell. The DC power supply was set to constant-current mode and adjusted to supply 50 mW at 3.0 volts.

@JohnyFive My pancake detector is less than 1 cm from the cell and only 2 mm from the edge of the paper cover. Did you ever measure at the edge of the paper in your tests? It seems to me that there should be a detectable signal there.

• Thanks!

I have to admit that I never measured radiation in this way. But my pancake detected very slightly elevated radiation also 20-30 cm further from the cell - at least with D2O. I didn't tried it with H2O. But clearly it was dependent on other factors such as air flow around the cell..

Then I was focusing just on the activated materials to get the highest possible counts.

The particles are detectable just within few mm from the paper (with Pancake). Maybe it will work, but placing it at the window is the easiest way to get clearly excess readings.

This is the thing that the most people will not do. For this reason probably just few people found it. Who would expect the paper will be radioactive and there will be half life?

• magicsound

Approximately when will the active run be concluded?

As I write you are about 2 hours into the active run. Any preliminary comments on similarities/differences with the no-electrolyte run?

According to J5, it will take several days before the expected radiation signature appears. So the active run will continue for at least four days, or until something interesting is seen. The Youtube stream will be refreshed as time permits, with the link updated here. At the end of the run, the raw 10-second numeric data files will be posted for analysis and graphing.

If nothing is seen after four days, a second run will be done with LiOD electrolyte.

• It must work with H2O for sure.

If no the most probable is that detector is just not sensitive.

What Pancake detector you have? I can't find anything about LN7317.

• In 2 weeks I will be trying new Si-8B and Si-14B from Ukraine. Background is around 120 CPM so very sensitive.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.