MacGyver (aka JohnyFive) LENR experiment

• Do the CD/DVDs work well with normal radiation/particles?

I have some nasty strong radioactive stuff available (nothing too outrageous, NORM stuff, but hot, like 2 billion year old pitchbende) to try them with, and a stack of DVD discs.

DVDs are not that great because made of polystyrene that should be blend with fluorescent compounds in order to better absorb radiation energy. See e.g.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23353088/

For an inexpensive plastic scintillator, you may try PET instead. PET has excellent scintillation properties though its detection threshold is high, higher than the usual CR-39 and LR-115. See e.g.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.4890700

Meaning that at the end this will depend on what is your "nasty strong radioactive stuff".

• Thanks for interesting messages.

From my measurements I have feeling that in order to pickup clearly elevated radiation (at least with Pancake) a movement is necessary.

I tried to perform a static measurements as magicsound but it never turned out to be useful.

But I was always successful when the paper or other previously activated material was moved close to the detector. Or ideally when the paper was placed at the detector and at the top of all there was Ag foil. Then readings are at least 5X of background. Without a foil it is at least 3X.

This reminds me story that Bob G. shared few hours ago from Sochi conference. Yes, it seems to be a kind of magic but it is how it is. Moving activated paper from the cell to a stationary Pancake detector is just enough in this case.

What I recommend is that when you will not get any interesting readings in 3 days, place the paper at the Pancake. Ideally so that Pancake is placed horizontally.

• What I recommend is that when you will not get any interesting readings in 3 days, place the paper at the Pancake. Ideally so that Pancake is placed horizontally.

Yes, I will do that after 3 days. How thick was the Silver foil you used?

I see that the cell resistance increased slightly overnight. I have adjusted the voltage, to maintain ~50 mW.

• WOW, very nice work CAN!

One thing I have noticed in hours of staring at the numbers: there seems to be a time-delayed correlation between short-term increase in the 6Li-I neutron count and short term increase in the GMC count. I think this might result from "cosmic-ray" spallation of the lead shielding mass. The neutrons so generated could cause activation of the surrounding materials, with short half-life unstable products generating detectable gammas after delay of seconds to minutes.

It would be interesting to see if this correlation could be plotted, time permitting of course.

Thanks again for your valuable contribution to this work

AlanG

• Another curious event happened while I was a way sleeping: the cell current had dropped to ~zero. The electrolyte has turned milky-white, and the anode is covered with an amorphous white deposit.

The power supply will not current-regulate below 5 ma, so I have changed it to constant-voltage mode. The cell is now drawing ~7 mA at ~8 volts (~65 mW). The cell resistance has increased to around 800 ohms, and there seems to be a non-linear conduction barrier below ~ 6 volts. THis is a dynamic system, with the conduction behavior changing as I write.

• Sounds like 'hydrous TiO2' (Cotton and Wilkinson, Adv. Inor. Chem. 3rd ed., p.810-811.

Sadly, I have limited knowledge of electrochemistry. The deposit appearing at the anode (Ni wire) has now started to turn black. At the cathode, if there are free oxygen ions in the water, would the chemistry promote the oxidation of the bulk Ti at the low cell voltage used? Whatever the process would also have to promote migration of TiO2 thus created into solution.

The electrolyte level has dropped about 1 mm, with white particle deposits up the cell wall around the cathode, and a witness line showing the level drop. I suspect the deposits there are solid LiOH.

• Magicsound,

Big thumbs up for sharing this work. I wish you the best and success!

It would be logical that any black or white residue might be due to oxidation, but I do not remember if the cell is open to the atmosphere or not?

On the outside chance that there is any transmutation going on, is it economically feasible to have any of the residues analyzed?

If I remember correctly, J5 stated previously that he saw the same or similar conditions. If so, this is encouraging that we may be witnessing your official replication of an unknown nuclear event. (I am not sure J5's findings are LENR as he has been detecting radiation instead of heat.) But hopefully a repeatable device that can open the door.

Thank you again and as always, I am impressed with not only your openness, but method of clear communication!

:thumbup:

• "The precipitates obtained on adding base (LiOD) to Ti(IV) solutions are best regarded as hydrous TiO2. This substance dissolves in concentrated alkali hydroxide (lithium deuteroxide, although your electrolyte may not be concentrated this much), to give solutions from which hydrated "titanates" having formulas such as M(I,2)TiO3.nH2O and M(I,2)Ti2O5,nH2O (possibly like Li2Ti2O3 or Li2Ti2O5) but of unknown structure may be obtained." (C&W, p. 810, my specific suggestions as to identities of compounds in parentheses)

Pure TiO2 is white. Impurities like Fe can color it however, often making it black. (An alternative to the black color J5 saw could be nanoparticulate Ti or TiD2, as adding hydrogen to H-absorbing metals causes swelling which leads to decrepitation (small particulates flaking off) in brittle materials.)

Ti would dissolve as ionic Ti(IV) due to base leaching of the typical Cl- contaminant in typical 'Ti sponge' to maintain charge balance. I examined several 'Ti sponges' many years ago (which are manufactured electrolytically using MgCl2 IIRC) and found the Cl- concentration of all of them to be in the several hundred ppm range. That also suggests the possibilities of Cl precipitates. Also IIRC, AgCl precipitates readily and is white. Any Ag present in your system?

• I do not remember if the cell is open to the atmosphere or not?

Thanks for the compliment Bob. The cell is covered with a folded piece of ordinary printer paper, but is not sealed. So any gasses released by electrolysis will escape, including possibly a small amount of water vapor. The white deposits on the cell wall above the cathode suggest some bubbling occurred, though none has been visible.

It's hard to observe the cell contents, due to the tight placement of the detectors and shields around it, and visual distortion by the glass container. I'll add a small video camera for the next run (with LiOD).

• The precipitates obtained on adding base (LiOD) to Ti(IV) solutions are best regarded as hydrous TiO2. This substance dissolves in concentrated alkali hydroxide (lithium deuteroxide, although your electrolyte may not be concentrated this much

I calculated the electrolyte to be .04 molar concentration, and measured the pH as 11.6, reasonably close to the expected value.

Any Ag present in your system?

Only as impurities. The Ni wire is described as "Ni 200 alloy" which would typically be 99+% Ni, with traces of Mn and Fe, but no Ag. No assay was supplied.

The Ti is from a US source and was advertised as "99.99%" but again there was no assay included. The Li pellets were obtained from an Amazon seller in China, and came with an assay reference "Reinheit: 99,9% (Versand inkl. Reinheitszertifikat)"

These and other details are available in my on-line lab notes at https://goo.gl/4pW1T8

AlanG

• Described behavior is likely same with mine observations. I also can confirm changes in resistance. So I am using constant voltage regulation always and change when needed.

Also I can confirm water will change to white and then rather suddenly to black. At this point I was always able to measure elevated radiation, but also sooner in some cases. I think that if the paper will be placed at the Pancake (as described earlier) you will get some interesting readings even now. But you can still wait until it is black.

The Anode should be black quite soon. And from that time it will be brittle too. But it will still work well.

From my observations water is evaporated much faster than anticipated. That is interesting due to so low current.

• Described behavior is likely same with mine observations. I also can confirm changes in resistance. So I am using constant voltage regulation always and change when needed.

Also I can confirm water will change to white and then rather suddenly to black. At this point I was always able to measure elevated radiation, but also sooner in some cases. I think that if the paper will be placed at the Pancake (as described earlier) you will get some interesting readings even now. But you can still wait until it is black.

The Anode should be black quite soon. And from that time it will be brittle too. But it will still work well.

Thank you. The Ni wire is now black, extending even above the electrolyte. The liquid is still milky white.

I expect to leave the cell running for another 12 hours, at least until the color changes. So the radiation test will occur at around 16:00 UTC on 9 October. For that part of the process, I do not have Ag foil available, but I do have metal foils of Nickel, Iron and Indium available, all about 0.1 mm thick. I will try them each in sequence.

• Well, the ‘N’ does stand for ‘nuclear’...

True indeed!

A bad phrase on my part. My intent was that most reported classic "LENR" has not reported any radiations. Although, to be honest, I do not know what "classic" LENR would be! ;) There have been a few different forms. F&P palladium, Celani's nickel wires, others use powders and probably a large number of different materials.

Anyway.. so far at least things are looking a bit interesting. :thumbup:

• It looks like the current live stream ended.

I tried to manually sample as time progressed cell voltage and current. It looks like cell resistance decreased over the past 12 hours or so. I noticed that sometimes there would be relatively quick swings in the reported values, so the graph below doesn't tell the entire story.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.