Reducing the cost of Johnny 5 / MacGyver experiments

• I don't have (yet) some to try myself and I'm aware that its oxide isn't easily reducible, but won't ordinary Ti wire become "spongy enough" after several oxidation-reduction cycles in an electrolytic cell?

• I'd guess that any conveniently shaped high-surface area titanium source would work. I think the main point of confusion here is that JohnyFive mentioned using "flakes" as well as "sponge". I'm not sure if he's using these terms interchangeably. With "flakes" I'd picture shavings like these ones or cut into smaller rectangular pieces:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sTEAAOSw1vlUy5CA/s-l300.jpg

Ti sponges on the other hand are usually synthesized from titanium compounds (e.g. Kroll process), or on a smaller scale made from Ti hydride or reduced Ti oxide (when possible).

• My thinking is that since the lattice parameters differ significantly, repeatedly forming TiH and oxidizing it back to Ti (likely obtaining also some Ti oxide in the process) will make the wire "spongier". Since the wire most likely will not become entirely Ti oxide but possibly will remain composed of a Ti metal core and various Ti oxide islands on the relatively thin "shell", perhaps this could work.

When looking at the subject of titanium oxide electrolysis on the internet most sources seem to refer about the reduction of TiO2 precursor material to pure Ti metal, mostly in the context of (possible) industrial applications, so complex methods like electrolysis in a molten salt are referenced. This seems different than what it's attempted to be achieved here.

Furthermore, is some amount of titanium oxide really harmful? According to Bernhard Kotzias, in a patent application that is also referenced in the one by Wyttenbach's that was recently linked on LENR-Forum, porous "titanium oxide" (not clear if TiO2, but the wording implies so. In either case, an imperfect lattice contained mixed oxide form would be more catalytically active) can be used as an "ultra-dense hydrogen" catalyst:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2017/0022055.html

According to an exemplary embodiment of the apparatus according to the invention, the catalyst coating has a granular and regular structure. Preferably it is a titanium oxide. Thus, a plurality of vacancies and cavities are formed on the surface. Furthermore, the formation of electronic surface structures (plasmons) is promoted and their coupling to the electromagnetic field in the cavity is improved. The catalyst can be introduced into the ceramic foam formed during sintering of the carrier material. This has a stabilizing effect on the ceramic so that increased mechanical forces can be absorbed. This can have a positive effect on the capacity for storage of ultra-dense hydrogen. The Casimir and capillary forces thus present have a positive effect on the condensation of the hydrogen. The specific surface can hereby be increased in addition to the foam structure.

[...] In a further exemplary embodiment of the apparatus according to the invention, the catalyst coating comprises a titanium oxide. This material is already produced industrially in large quantities as powder and is therefore readily available.

[...] According to the exemplary embodiment, the pore of the metal foam 4 is at least partially provided with a catalyst coating 6 in the inner side. The catalyst coating 6 here has a granular structure and, according to the exemplary embodiment, contains titanium oxide. The catalyst coating can also be constructed of Fe2O3, Ni, MnO and other materials which can be applied to the metal foam or the ceramic foam as a thin perturbed regular lattice structure having a layer thickness of 10 nm to 4 μm.

[...] 24. The apparatus according to claim 19, wherein the catalyst coating comprises a titanium oxide.

• Zeus46

I'm referring to electrolysis, for example by reversing electrode polarity. The idea is that when titanium hydride forms, there is significant volume expansion (this source mentions 17.2% for alpha-titanium to titanium hydride, see screenshot) which eventually weakens the material, leaving open cracks and gaps. Going back and forth between TiH2 and a partially oxidized Ti form could make the sample acquire an irregular surface at the microscale. This is just a hypothesis, though.

• Materials bought in bulk reduce individual experiment cost.

The minute quantities involved in J5M investigations greatly lowers the bar to participation.

I estimate $0.99 USD of Ti wire, 25 feet, suffices for 100 cells. Having invested the same amount for Ni200 wire of identical length gives less than two cents as anode cathode cost.

My cost for 110 mg of Li per CR2032 battery far exceeds Can's suggested LiOH source. Should his hypothesis re Na prove out, pennies cover consumables.

I hope today, I plan today, to stream cell prep on YouTube. Same Bat place, same Bat channel.

• Good job! All is looking great!

I only don't know what effect TiF3 has. My Titanium Sponge is stored in Argon all the time but once removed it is exposed to the air for at least one minute.

I am really looking forward for any results! Regarding measurement I only recommend to follow the way how I am measuring it. Because if a radiation detector is in direct contact with the cell you not only could damage the detector (at least because of humidity) but a paper or similar material is needed for trapping the particles. At least with Pancake detector.

Also take care that power is not too high so that paper is not visibly wet from the bottom even after prolonged run. It is better to set low current or a higher at the beginning and then to reduce it after a day or so.

By the way next week I will have results from EDX analysis!

• I remain puzzled by the lack of reaction between distilled water and the lithium screen from the CR2032 battery. Also tried CR2016 battery "lithium".

15 ml brown glass eyedropper bottle recently held cannabis oil. Cleaned using dish soap and copius water.

Possibly wasn't really lithium. Perhaps container insufficiently cleaned. Perhaps deionized water required inlieu of distilled water.

Will try washing soda electrolyte today.

Again, whatever it takes, I will do it to get to the bottom of this.

Will be in Los Angeles Nov. 1st through at least the 5th. Perhaps I can visit Magicsound Compound.

We can compare musical and electrochemical efforts.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.