The Scientific Discussion of New Ideas

• It's okay. I don't mind. However, I think the kind of people we need on this thread are the ones that don't give a hoot if other people think they are nutty or mad. What we don't want are snoody intellectuals who would put their reputations and careers before scientific progress.

• Wyttenbach,

I'm going to review your paper and patent application again so that I can try to gain a better conceptual understanding of what you are attempting to explain. Please forgive me for my ignorance during this period. I really think that it would be helpful for non-professionally trained individuals if you'd attempt to produce an essay explaining the basic concepts using perhaps different language. What I've learned is that producing a mental model of the fields (magnetic and vector potential) and forces of a specific configuration and how everything is moving isn't easy. It took me a little while to "get" the concept of the spheromak and produce a mental model. If you have the time, please consider writing a "for dummies" version of your paper/patent.

• Wyttenbach

I attempted to give a quick look at it but I'm afraid that the model is too high-level for me to fully appreciate. I think most people here will be interested in the practical aspects for LENR experiments, similarly to how most people following Randell Mills directly go for the hydrino rather than the underlying GUT-CP theory. So, a thread focused on such aspects would be very welcome.

I believe one of such practical suggestions also highlighted in the recent patent application is that an external magnetic field perpendicular to those rotators (which appear to be similar in concept to Rydberg matter) would be helful stabilizing them, correct? Incidentally I had used one or two Nd magnets in my latest tests, but due to equipment limitations I'm not sure whether their contribution truly had a positive effect.

I did notice for example that low-voltage arc discharges would be brighter in some cases with one, but I don't really know if that was coincidental or due to other known effects. The magnetic field needed to be on specific orientations, for what it's worth.

I planned adding more observations following more electrolytic and semi-electrolytic tests, but I'm not sure anymore if this is the proper thread for them. The tests are naïvely performed and not really instrumented; I didn't think they would be really worth their own thread.

• I believe one of such practical suggestions also highlighted in the recent patent application is that an external magnetic field perpendicular to those rotators (which appear to be similar in concept to Rydberg matter) would be helful stabilizing them, correct? Incidentally I had used one or two Nd magnets in my latest tests, but due to equipment limitations I'm not sure whether their contribution truly had a positive effect.

Your thoughts are correct. I believe that within 1-2 months we will have a more deep understanding of LENR based on the given model. Talking about a model can be interesting, but knowing (how) it works will be much more interesting. I can only say, we see everything I said what could be seen.

• Wyttenbach

I attempted to give a quick look at it but I'm afraid that the model is too high-level for me to fully appreciate. I think most people here will be interested in the practical aspects for LENR experiments

Maybe irrelevant maybe not. Why don't you try if you can a pickle jar dc magnetron sputtering machine like this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    . no hard vacuum required if any. just hydrated nickel substrate in argon atmosphere on a lithium/nickel target and mesure for radiation.

• Official Post

Maybe irrelevant maybe not. Why don't you try if you can a pickle jar dc magnetron sputtering machine like this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    . no hard vacuum required if any. just hydrated nickel substrate in argon atmosphere on a lithium/nickel target and mesure for radiation.

Is ther any relation with "cathodic sputtering" ?

Didier Gras observed an extreme reaction that looks like a LENR burst with ZrO2 powder cathodic sputtered with Ni (0.1µm), then electrolysed as cathode (with Ni anode) with nickel sulfamate

Another key idea seems that he used a setup similar to "hollow cathode" , said to enforce higher than normal compression of deposited Ni...(I don't understand well what it means)

See (in French) RNBE2016: Couche mince de nickel realisé par pulvérisation cathodique par Didier Grass

• Another key idea seems that he used a setup similar to "hollow cathode" , said to enforce higher than normal compression of deposited Ni...(I don't understand well what it mean)

Wow thanks AlainCo for the video link.

Yes It is cathodique sputtering.

The hollow cathode technique because of the magnetic field shape allow better efficiency in the sputtering less mess in the chamber and uniform coating. it is a standard sputtering method. I dont know if it has anything to do with Didier observations.

I am not sure how Didier formed what i believe to be "UDH" without hydrogen in the chamber but my hypothesis is that it is what he activated during electrolysis later on. "UDH" was already present in the substrate.

The goal in this experiment is not primarily sputtering the substrate But load ing the target with "UDH" and activating it. the goal of the substrate is to provide the hydrogen.

although the substrate might be eventually coated with the target material and trapped "UDH".

Honestly i have no theory so i am not even sure about UDH that's out of my league just an observation .

Comme on dit "un accident industriel".

The setup is less than a $100 if you exclude the vacuum chamber vacuum machine , the argon. A lot less if you salvage a microwave oven and its idiot proof most people can built it.

• Unrelated with the (ongoing?) discussion: would it be plausible a mechanism where electrolysis occurring between two electrodes placed at a very close distance (in the order of microns) from each other and producing cavitation bubbles from the evaporating water (and possibly, hydrogen-oxygen recombination) would keep the anode more or less clean and produce at the same time thin film deposition on the cathode? Furthermore, that the higher the voltage the coarser the quality of the film produced?

• Official Post

As I understand the sputtering is done without any hydrogen.

The hollow cathode seems to be important during the electrolysis that is doing something not far from "co-deposition" wit Ni/H as Spawar did with Pd/D.

The "compressions" discussed during the conference maybe be because , since the metal lattice is growing from inside a fixed circle, and tend to keep the continuity despite the fact that distance are reduced...

Naively, without much knowledge of metallurgy, maybe (question to experts) :

• the lattice size is slightly reduced as metal is deposited?
    • maybe vacancies/twin-crystal appears to release constraints

In some engineer theory I've heard, key factor is twin-crystal defects (not cracks), and cathodic sputtering create much.

My own pet theory vision involve low dimensional defects (no idea what, crack, twins, vacancies, coupled defects ), with a Schrodinger-cat style of NAE (Hydroton-like). This is why Didier Gras' accident is inspiring me... why not.

• To add to Alain's explanations, in the case of Didier Grass, the sputtering was composed by a mixture of argon/nickel vapor. So nickel atoms were condensed on a ZrO2 substrate.

10% of argon atoms remained trapped in the nickel lattice in this case !

Sputtering creates also Ni dendrites 10Nm by 100 height...

Hollow cathode helps to create an amorphous state for deposited nickel.

Alain also talks about spinning and twinning, this is called "stacking fault energy". Here you go..

DF

• The hollow cathode seems to be important during the electrolysis that is doing something not far from "co-deposition" wit Ni/H as Spawar did with Pd/D.

Are you sure that what you call the "hollow cathode aka sputtering target" is the same cathode in the electrolysis that released heat or is it the substrate with ZrO2 with nickel and whatever else trapped inside. I am a bit confused by the video. The ZrO substrate is not the hollow cathode.

• Are you sure that what you call the "hollow cathode aka sputtering target" is the same cathode in the electrolysis that released heat or is it the substrate with ZrO2 with nickel and whatever else trapped inside. I am a bit confused by the video. The ZrO substrate is not the hollow cathode.

the hollow cathode remains the sputtering emitter, it was the first step to put amorphous nickel onto ZrO2. Then to increase deposit thickness DG used electrolysis so at this stage started the event..Hydrogen entrapped Inside nickel dendrites came from electrolyte nickel sulfamate.

DF

• i am not an expert but i routinely sputter various substrate with nickel ,chalcogenides like GeSbTe gold etc.. To build prototype Neuromorphic circuits. I have never seen anything exotic about the lattice size or structure on nickel neither with SEM nor with STM.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.