Russia and Eastern European LENR Developments

• Official Post

Many of the scientists who have reported strange radiation are of the highest caliber possible: they represent scientists who worked at the top levels of the Russian nuclear program and were even tasked with investigating the Chernobyl nuclear incident.

And also others outside of Russia such as Ken Shoulders. We do have some serious brainpower on it, but really when you add them up, there are not very many of them. Considering this SR is real, it has to be one tough nut to crack to have kept it's secrets this long...so do we have enough firepower to figure it out?

Then there is the problem of priorities. In a field lacking dedicated, full time researchers, and limited resources, does LENR focus on tracking down SR, the XH, transmutations, or the nuclear ash signature all at once? Or focus on one or two? Reminds me of the old adage "jack of all trades, or a master of none"...which one would you suggest we be?

McKubre, Jed, relative newcomer Abd, and many others from the old guard, have talked about how to allocate LENR's limited resources at length, for a long time. I am only touching on the topic.

• Hello Shane,

Great comments!

Absolutely we shouldn't forget Ken Shoulders. Interestingly, he wasn't (at least not initially) performing experiments with the goal of producing an anomalous energy source. Instead, he focused on learning how to repeatedly produce EVOs without destroying his cathode tip and then control, guide, manipulate, split, and launch them. So instead of building an LENR device of some kind that would randomly spray them out, he learned how to make them do his bidding -- at least to a certain degree. Due to his research, we know a lot about at least some variations of SR.

To answer your next question, I think we have the fire power to figure out a good hunk of the remaining mysteries of strange radiation -- if we can motivate people to actually perform experiments. SR generators don't seem to be too ridiculously complex. Once we have a pretty much "on demand" source of these particles, all sorts of experiments can be performed to learn much, much more.

The question about what I suggest is complicated to answer because it would depend on the team(s) that came together and their resources and capabilities. First of all, we cannot perform one off tests and replication attempts because they are problematic for a number of different reasons. Regardless what we decided to build and replicate, we would need to have the resources, time, and labor to test REPEATEDLY. And, once we get it working, we'd need to perform a large number of experiments by changing individual parameters one by one to cracking this "nut" and mastering the ability to harness these phenomena (which are all related in my opinion). On one end of the resource spectrum, we could try and build a SR generation device (not worry about excess heat, transmutations, isotopic shifts, etc) and really isolate and study the particles emitted: how they interact with matter, how they can be influenced by electric and/or magnetic fields, how we can shield them with various materials, how we can focus and concentrate them with reflective materials (allegedly pure germanium and silicon are reflective as well as some types of glass), and how we can induce secondary reactions. On the other end of the spectrum, if we had a moderate amount of resources, we could try and replicate Parkhomov's latest system and study it in every detail. Excess heat, transmutations, strange radiation: it seems to have it all. But such a project would require labor we might not have.

So your question is a VERY good one. I guess due to the fact the LENR community ALWAYS seems to have limited resources, I'd suggest that we try to crack strange radiation first. I suspect it's really the glue that brings together the isotopic shifting, transmutations, and excess heat. If we can learn how to control the strange radiation, we can use it to maximize excess heat production in optimized reactors. You see, like one of the scientists said in one of Bob Greenyer's videos, Parkhomov is wasting the strange radiation by letting it escape. I think we could use it to induce additional nuclear reactions by embedded the central reactor in additional LENR fuel -- maybe some lithium compound or a metal hydride like TiH.

When it comes to allocating the resources of the community, I've discussed that at length privately with other members of the community. One idea that keeps coming up is having a communal laboratory somewhere that would include very basic housing for researchers. I know of a PhD physicist that RIGHT NOW has the time and skills to perform LENR research and would be willing to sacrifice months of his life or longer in the process. His desire would be to share all of his findings openly. The problem is that he has no lab space and can't afford to rent an apartment near one of the few labs that he might be invited to utilize. He told me point blank all he'd need is a cot or a sofa somewhere to crash on.

• Official Post

When it comes to allocating the resources of the community, I've discussed that at length privately with other members of the community. One idea that keeps coming up is having a communal laboratory somewhere that would include very basic housing for researchers. I know of a PhD physicist that RIGHT NOW has the time and skills to perform LENR research and would be willing to sacrifice months of his life or longer in the process. His desire would be to share all of his findings openly. The problem is that he has no lab space and can't afford to rent an apartment near one of the few labs that he might be invited to utilize. He told me point blank all he'd need is a cot or a sofa somewhere to crash on.

Great post. You have some very good ideas. This part though, I do not see happening. Sounds like the Manhattan Project concept. That has been talked about in LENR for a long time. *IF* the mainstream ever comes to accept it, then yes, that type project will no doubt follow. Listening though to our resident mainstream critic THH, I do not see that happening anytime soon. Apparently, it will take more than a cheap bus ticket, and short ride to the truth, to get them onboard.

• It would be the Manhattan Project concept on a very small scale. All it would take is one person with access to a lab (or who has his own lab) to allow researchers to be guests in his home. This wouldn't work well for a married person or someone raising children. However, if the lab/home owner was a single person with a serious motivation to promote LENR research, it might be feasible. I don't see it as not happening, although I do recognize it's not likely.

I'd say there are probably dozens of people who'd be willing to participate in such a project, volunteering their time and labor -- perhaps even donating some cash towards parts, equipment, materials, etc. I think a bus ticket and a guarantee that they'd have SOMEWHERE to lay their head would entice not a huge but a fair number of individuals. I don't think we need a hundred scientists in the prime of their career getting paid high salaries to crack SR and LENR. Once we are moving in the right direction (I think we're starting to get on the correct path now) I think a small team of five to ten people working in a focused and cohesive manner could figure this out in a reasonable period of time.

• Official Post

Director,

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the "old guard"...well, are old. I do not see any of them willing to inconvenience themselves this late in the game by checking into a concentration camp.

That said, I am comforted by what I saw at ICCF21. The young interns, and Miley's/IH's associates were a refreshing inspiration. Then there was BG's video from Sochi yesterday of young, intelligent Russian physicists immersed in LENR, while enjoying themselves after hours. Good to see that, and promising, but just a drop in the bucket for what is needed to solve this mystery IMO.

• Hello Shane,

I doubt many of the oldest guard members would sleep on a cot or couch. However, I think there are many slightly younger members of the guard that would do so. Regardless, I think the barrier for strange radiation research is relatively low compared to building full and complete LENR systems with precise calorimeters, high tech data acquisition systems, and power management/measurement tools. You're basically building an SR generator and practicing on detecting, manipulating, and controlling the emissions. One cool experiment I read about was exposing two canisters containing a metal hydride to SR. Both canisters were positioned perhaps a meter (if my memory is correct) away from the reactor. The canister made out of steel absorbed the SR and the metal hydride inside was apparently untouched. However, the canister made out of aluminum (which in some cases can be fairly transparent to SR) allowed the SR to pass through and make the metal hydride decompose. There are tons of experiments like this which could be attempted very cheaply. I think the biggest barrier for some people would be a place to do the testing -- at this point it seems a little risky (but only a little) to do it inside your residence. Since more and more people live in apartments these days and don't have exterior buildings, a lot of people are just stuck without a way to proceed.

What's your opinion on how we should proceed?

• Official Post

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Will listen to BG's 6th day summation tomorrow. Thought I would post this before turning in for the night. Bob, IMO, along with the MFMP team, have made themselves an integral part of LENR. Can't have one, without the other.

• Race behind heat (steam) for the turbine is the most important mistake of physicists-researchers! It is necessary to use rotation of a spherical lightning plasma with a high density for receiving the generator of electricity. This our future!

Гонка за теплом (паром) для турбины есть самая главная ошибка физиков-исследователей! Надо использовать вращение шаровой молнии-плазмы с высокой плотностью для получения генератора электричества. Это наше будущее!

Images

Нефть - это кровь планеты, надо сделать модель планеты и мы получим генератор Тарасенко, эта энергия покорит вселенную! :lenr:

• Race behind heat (steam) for the turbine is the most important mistake of physicists-researchers! It is necessary to use rotation of a spherical lightning plasma with a high density for receiving the generator of electricity. This our future!

Гонка за теплом (паром) для турбины есть самая главная ошибка физиков-исследователей! Надо использовать вращение шаровой молнии-плазмы с высокой плотностью для получения генератора электричества. Это наше будущее!

• Official Post

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the "old guard"...well, are old. I do not see any of them willing to inconvenience themselves this late in the game by checking into a concentration camp.

Maybe I should rephrase that, as I am told the old guard is staying at a monastery for the 13th ISCMNS: 12th International Workshop on Anomalies in Hydrogen Loaded Metals 2017 - near Asti, Italy - 5-9 June 2017 And from what I hear, they like it. Except for the Wifi. So maybe a concentration camp would be an upgrade?

Interestingly, a spherical lightning plasma (ball lightning) is most likely a macro example of micro sized EVOs or strange radiation. If we consider EVOs as being spheromaks (torodial vortexes of electrons and positive ions) then the smallest ones will have the highest energy density. I think this is why the tiny EVOs or strange radiation particles produced when fracto-emission takes place in a transition metal. I think these tiny EVOs are extremely energy dense and can have very significant nuclear effects via multiple mechanisms.

What are your thoughts on ball lightning, EVOs, and these spherical lightning plasmas? I believe they are the key to virtually all forms of LENR and many exotic energy technologies such T. Henry Moray's devices and the Papp Engine.

• Maybe I should rephrase that, as I am told the old guard is staying at a monastery for the 13th ISCMNS: 12th International Workshop on Anomalies in Hydrogen Loaded Metals 2017 - near Asti, Italy - 5-9 June 2017 And from what I hear, they like it. Except for the Wifi. So maybe a concentration camp would be an upgrade?

A monastery with good wifi might be a great place to study LENR. I wonder if there are any monasteries where the goal may be to unravel the mysteries of the universe.

• Official Post

@Director Re your earlier comment about the 'old guard' and their reluctance to 'sleep on a couch' Russ's parting words to me were 'I think I will bring in a blanket while you're away and sleep on the (lab) couch a couple of nights'. One of my priorities was to ensure we had a comfy one - donated btw - because I knew we would be working round the clock at some point.

Edward Teller knew about strange radiation by the way. He called it 'mischugennons' . Russ thinks the particles should be called 'Tellerons'.

• Hello Alan,

I commend him for being willing to sleep on a couch in order to be closer to his reactors.

That account about the mischugennons is awesome, BTW. Do you happen to know the year of that incident? If it was before the term strange radiation became common or Kenneth Shoulders performed his first experiments, maybe it should be adopted more broadly to describe these particles.

• Interestingly, a spherical lightning plasma (ball lightning) is most likely a macro example of micro sized EVOs or strange radiation. If we consider EVOs as being spheromaks (torodial vortexes of electrons and positive ions) then the smallest ones will have the highest energy density. I think this is why the tiny EVOs or strange radiation particles produced when fracto-emission takes place in a transition metal. I think these tiny EVOs are extremely energy dense and can have very significant nuclear effects via multiple mechanisms.

What are your thoughts on ball lightning, EVOs, and these spherical lightning plasmas? I believe they are the key to virtually all forms of LENR and many exotic energy technologies such T. Henry Moray's devices and the Papp Engine.

I don't know. I want to learn from physicists, for this purpose I came to you! But I know geology and geophysics, help me to make model of the planet and I will save the world!

• I'm not qualified by any means to make a model of the planet. However, I think a good start would be to make a strange radiation generator, run tests to learn more about the properties of these particles, and then try to model them at each stage of their life to the best of our ability. I think starting small and working our way up to the Earth might be a good idea. You could still help save the world!

• The field is so wide when you go for exotic - unconstrained by normal assumptions - new particles (rather than exotic but vaguely constrained particles) that you need very clear experimental evidence to point the way.

I await with interest this evidence pointing the way.

May I recomnend to start with this article published in Plos One:

https://journals.plos.org/plos…1371/journal.pone.0169895

that provides "very clear experimental evidence" of the generation of relativistic particles from a tabletop experiment.

• Great post. You have some very good ideas. This part though, I do not see happening. Sounds like the Manhattan Project concept. That has been talked about in LENR for a long time. *IF* the mainstream ever comes to accept it, then yes, that type project will no doubt follow. Listening though to our resident mainstream critic THH, I do not see that happening anytime soon. Apparently, it will take more than a cheap bus ticket, and short ride to the truth, to get them onboard.

Shane, as resident skeptic I will attempt to fulfil my duty here.

The tenor of your remarks is inaccurate, or at least leaves out one crucial perspective.

Understanding anomalies in physics is not about "good ideas". I realise that many here will disagree, or think that statement hidebound etc, but let me explain why.

Science is about finding predictive explanations for things. Note the work predictive. Other disciplines, Anthropology for example, are about finding useful conceptualisations of things that inspire new thought.

But wait - I hear so many here say. With physics now fossilised unable to find new vision or explain the phenomena discussed here, surely we need to inspire new thought?

Well, suppose that is true , that physics for whatever reason is hidebound and not generating enough new non-standard theories. You will realise as someone who enjoys reading many of the the way out and nearly all wrong physics theories that get mainstream published I might not agree. For purposes of this post say I do agree.

There is all this evidence, of varying quality, discussed here. It provokes theoretical speculation from many people, again of varying quality. What many would like is some new theory that explains a set of phenomena previously not understood. My point is that unless this is predictive, it is not physics and of no use in showing where the behaviour of future systems will depart from conventional physics.

Those trying to explain anomalies with new exotic particles/forces/etc, and getting published, have two requirements:

(1) show how the new particle / force/ etc generates a better fit to prior observations than existing physics

(2) show (hypothetically) an experiment which could disprove the existence of their new particle/force/etc. That seems weird, but it is just a way of saying "show some tangible prediction the new theory makes".

There are BTW great scientists who manage (2) without ever needing (1). The theory breaks new unexpected ground not highlighted or anticipated by experimental anomalies, which are only found afterwards. But that is rare.

LENR "theories" for the most part, don't bother with (2). That does not mean there is no evidence for LENR, or that LENR can't be proven true (in the sense of clear over-chemical energy production from some systems, say). It means that speculation about LENR theories has no physical content, because they make no prediction. Specifically, such speculation cannot increase the confidence one might have of any LENR hypothesis, nor guide future experiments.

There are a few LENR theories - for example that LENR is a phenomena associated with the surfaces of metal lattices, that are testable, and disprovable. If, for example, all of the debugged LENR phenomena were associated with the surfaces of metal lattices, and different surface conditioning changed these phenomena is systematic ways, that would be decent evidence for this theory. The "surface of lattice" theory is predictive, a bit. If LENR is discovered in a system without metal surfaces it is disproven.

People here will probably disagree as to whether the surface of lattice theory is correct.

But, here is the thing. If you note that LENR phenomena also exist in systems without surface lattices, you can still try to explain some LENR in terms of surface lattice stuff, but now that explanation has no predictive power. It is no longer physics. It is ironic, but true, that by loosening the filter for what you reckon is real LENR phenomena you are likley to destroy what might be (in this example) a real disprovable LENR theory.

Those looking for magnetic monopoles posit a whole load of different ways in which MMs could exist and be compatible with other experimental observations. Being physicists they get traction by codifying other experimental observations as QM + standard model description of forces and then changing parts of this structure while keeping other parts. They argue that the changes do not obviously break known experiments. And they can find observations that would confirm or deny the existence of the changes. These get turned into experiments, and done. In the process many of these theories get rejected - or at least are required to make big modifications, becoming in the process much less attractive.

Nothing to stop you from being radical, throwing out QM + standard model, and starting from scratch. The problem then is that you have so many existing observations which your new theory has to predict accurately before it can begin to compete with existing theories. A new fundamental physics theory which on its own explains a few observations but wrongly predicts 99.99% of the world does not help anyone.

Coming back to magnetic monopoles and strange radiation. Nothing wrong with positing either to explain experiments. But to be useful, the hypotheses need to have some predictive power. I'm not sure strange radiation is even a hypothesis since I don't know what it means, but I certainly cannot see what would disprove it. Similarly, I can't see what observations would disprove the existence of the type of MMs advanced here, because I do not understand enough about their properties.

Is speculating about explanations that are non-predictive useful? I'd say no. It colours discourse pushing the imagination in specific arbitrary directions that have no particular merit and are highly unlikely to be real, making it more difficult to find a more predictive hypothesis.

Regards, THH

• PS - this is OT but relevant to possible comments on the above post.

What about a theory like Darwinian evolution, that cannot be disproven? I don't want to get involved in this discussion on another thread which would be about a more sophisticated notion of scientific hypothesis: in general terms Popper does not properly include induction in his ideas about disproof, when you do it is still possible to say that Darwinian survival of the fittest is a decent theory, though it needs more effort.

But, luckily, we now have mechanisms for neo-Darwinian theories of evolution. Thus we understand genetics, how genes propagate both via in-cell DNA and mitochondria. The details of this are all testable (and disprovable). A consequence of this and what we know in detail about genotype -> phenotype mapping gives us a neo-Darwinian theory that can be tested and disproven via DNA sequencing, as has now quite a bit been done.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.