Unconventional electrolysis

• magicsound

A while back I posted an excerpt from a blogpost from a person with an SBM-20 tube who made polarity reversal tests with a Cs-137 test source and found that the response at the "wrong" polarity was lower, similarly to what I observed, even if in theory it should haven't. That's what motivated my hypothesis. However, that is no Am source.

Relevant quote below:

http://uvicrec.blogspot.com/20…0-geiger-muller-tube.html

At the moment I don't have any known/certified radioactive source to check for myself.

• A while back I posted an excerpt from a blogpost from a person with an SBM-20 tube who made polarity reversal tests with a Cs-137 test source and found that the response at the "wrong" polarity was lower, similarly to what I observed, even if in theory it should haven't. That's what motivated my hypothesis. However, that is no Am source.

Relevant quote below:

I missed that part of the tube analysis before, and it does show my hypothesis about the polarity is wrong.

My pancake detector is wired with the correct polarity, but the shielding is referenced to the positive terminal. This may only have been needed because of the coax wire's vulnerability to RFI. Sorry for the distraction...

• magicsound

No worries, that was a good occasion for updating the thread with more information.

I took a couple photos for manual long term averaged CPM verification.

From EXIF data:

00:21:31, 7159

00:52:08, 9217

2058 counts / 1837 seconds = 1.120 CPS = 67.218 CPM

This seems to agree with logged data as seen from the latest graph:

I've had problems with the script I made. Every once in a while it appears there's a race condition in the multithreaded code which causes it to fail.

• Regarding the schematic, I agree with the analysis from Magicsound, but noticed a few other things.

The high voltage circuit is just a simple boost supply which drives current through the 8.2 mH inductor, then shuts off the current to drive high voltage to the caps and the tube. The processor (Atmel ATtiny2313) drives the circuit but with an unknown waveform. I would guess that it is not a square wave but a pulse with duty cycle that is adjusted during calibration. In a boost supply, the output MOSFET is driven with the duty cycle required to supply the set output voltage.

The problem I have with this circuit is that there is no feedback to communicate the high voltage level to the processor. Regulated supplies always have voltage or current feedback to set the levels. Without feedback, the output voltage will vary with temperature of the components, component aging and supply voltage. This circuit is even worse because they rely on an internal RC oscillator for the clock instead of an external crystal or oscillator. That will also cause the high voltage to vary based on the temperature of the processor.

They also leave the RESET line floating. A very bad practice, especially in a circuit with non-isolated high voltages.

To me, this looks like a hobby circuit, not a piece of professional equipment that could be trusted to give repeatable results within fixed error bounds.

• Robert Horst

It is indeed a very cheap instrument: https://netio.stores.jp/

The pre-assembled version is 72 USD, while the kit version is 52 USD. Both include the SBM-20 GM tube.

The manufacturer claims:

GC10 was designed early days after 3.11 to explore and investigate highly contaminated area in Fukushima.

Focusing on simple feature and good manufacturability for nuclear catastrophic situation, few parts for high reliability and circuit's understandability.

The reset button does feel "energized" to the touch, this I noticed.

EDIT: as for the experiment, so far the magnitude of the periodic component of the signal seems largely unchanged. What's interesting is that short-term variations in background GM readings seem to track to some extent those also present in solar B-flux data. However, it could be just an impression (or wishful thinking).

Solar B flux data here:

https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/s…/full/2018/10/goes15/csv/

https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/s…/full/2018/11/goes15/csv/ (soon here too)

EDIT2: what's even more interesting is that those short-term variations in solar B-flux data occurred almost 40 hours earlier. To make it align with my Geiger data, I'm shifting it forward in time. This means that daily solar data would have some predictive power on the behavior of the measured background signal. Hopefully I'm not making some mistake somewhere.

• I did a different test today.

1. 2018-11-01 15:35 CET: Finished mounting rig on a movable "cart" in the middle of Room B
    2. 2018-11-01 15:46 CET: Moved cart just outside of Room B in front of a thick divisory wall
    3. 2018-11-01 16:17 CET: Moved cart inside Room A in front of thick perimeter wall and side of window
    4. 2018-11-01 16:33 CET: Moved cart below desk where experiments have been conducted and in front of thick divisory wall
    5. 2018-11-01 16:54 CET: Moved cart inside bathroom on the opposite side of the floor relatively to Room A, in front of thick perimeter wall with ceramic tiles
    6. 2018-11-01 17:26 CET: Moved cart inside large Room C in front of 7 cm thick radiator alongside outer thick perimeter wall, next to Room A (thick divisory wall between both rooms).
    7. 2018-11-01 17:53 CET: Moved cart in front of glass pane of large door-window of Room C
    8. 2018-11-01 18:28 CET: Moved cart back in the middle of Room B

• magicsound

Thanks. A solar activity signal is still very difficult to see in the data. To make any possible signal clearer, I used a 4-hours average CPM calculation. I tried superimposing scaled/shifted solar B-flux data, using the same offset I use with my graphs, minus roughly 8 hours (the time zone difference, with some wiggle room for the long moving average). Several short-term peak sequences curiously look similar but the long term daily changes do not seem to.

• magicsound

Thanks. A solar activity signal is still very difficult to see in the data. To make any possible signal clearer, I used a 4-hours average CPM calculation. I tried superimposing scaled/shifted solar B-flux data, using the same offset I use with my graphs, minus roughly 8 hours (the time zone difference, with some wiggle room for the long moving average). Several short-term peak sequences curiously look similar but the long term daily changes do not seem to.

I neglected to say that the time stamps in the background file are CET. I think you compensated for that in your graph, but mention it to be certain.

• magicsound

I pushed solar data back to take into account that your location would see solar emissions earlier but I forgot to consider the timezone of your data. However since your data has CET timestamps while mine uses UTC, everything more or less correctly aligned as intended.

• After testing at different locations yesterday I left the "cart" at a corner of Room A but facing the door of the room instead of the wall (second vertical dashed line in the graph). I think I'll keep it there and let it record the background for a few more days. The photo is showing it just outside of Room B.

The general trend and smaller features still seem to track solar data.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the wall where I recorded the highest signal was one which has had a slightly damp (recently used) bathrobe in front of it for a while, but that could be coincidental. The bathrobe itself, tested in a separate location away from walls, didn't seem to cause an elevated signal.

• I took the GM counter for outside testing to make sure it works correctly. I think it does.

EDIT: it might be worth pointing out that for the GM counter DIY enclosure I used cardboard paper that was inside Room A, and the room shows elevated radiation. So there's the possibility of contaminated dust causing briefly elevated readings following wind gusts, etc.

• it might be worth pointing out that for the GM counter DIY enclosure I used cardboard paper that was inside Room A, and the room shows elevated radiation. So there's the possibility of contaminated dust causing briefly elevated readings following wind gusts, etc.

I think that MagicSound said he used a transparent static-free bag to enclose his GC. Great idea!

BTW ... I accuse you of having way too much fun!

• I think that MagicSound said he used a transparent static-free bag to enclose his GC. Great idea!

BTW ... I accuse you of having way too much fun!

For the long background sample, I just covered the detector with a folded paper dust-shield. The paper surface is about 3 cm above the mica window. I also moved the detector about a meter away from the 200 kg lead scintillator cave and kept the nearby computer monitor and other potential RF sources off.

• Bruce__H

I do have some of those static-free bags, but not transparent/clear enough for the GC display to be properly photographed under difficult conditions. In any case, I never got such low values here in my premises, so that should hopefully clear questions on whether the GM tube is functioning properly, regardless of measurement oscillations it might possibly have on its own.

I'm still trying to determine if I live in a naturally slightly more radioactive environment than average (a few times over background) or if somehow my testing produced radioactive product of some sort which apparently affects humidity-collecting spots more than others. Fun in a way, but not so fun in others. It doesn't seem like it's Radon, or readings would more quickly change with environmental conditions, ventilation, etc. Or wouldn't they?

Below are attached the data for the above graph, from photos I took at various intervals, in addition to a different version of the same graph with annotations.

• Official Post

....and kept the nearby computer monitor and other potential RF sources off.

I can assure you that Nett10 Geigers are absolutely bomb-proof as far as RFI goes, the SBM-20 tubes themselves (not so much the boards) however are quite temperature sensitive. All Geiger tubes are heat-sensitive to a certain extent but - for some unknown reason these are more affected than many others. We use the Russian SiB-8B 70mm (approx) diameter pancake detectors and have found them more stable than most.

• Alan Smith

I did a 6 minutes test with a 1.8 kW hair drier blown towards the general area of the setup, but couldn't get readings to oscillate visibly more than they usually do. Possibly they increased slightly, but there was a substantial temperature increase over the previous baseline. The metal parts (screws on the corners) of the GC10 counter were getting moderately warm. What kind of relationship to you usually observe with temperature?

• Official Post

I don't think we ever put the boards anywhere where they would get above 40C. We always rewire everything so the detectors are on long leads of equal length. Sitting on top of a reactor they might get up to 60C, and then they read high, requiring us to add local insulation. This problem has been eliminated by the new reactor design with its more substantial insulation, and by placing a square of 50mm thick PU foam between the top of the reactor and the detector. This keeps them below 40C.

• Alan Smith

Understood. Since normally I'm getting the highest readings in the early morning/late night I guess that would rule out temperature effects driving the periodic changes I've observed so far under relatively stable temperature conditions. Speaking of which, I tried plotting the latest 9 hours or so of data and the short-term changes in solar B-flux (from about 39 hours earlier - I've adjusted this slightly over the previous graphs. I don't know about what to make of this delay) here do really look similar in behavior to those in Geiger counter readings.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.