Gamma Ray Fluctuations from Sun linked to Solar magnetic Field

• The Sun Is Spitting Out Strange Patterns of Gamma Rays—and No One Knows Why

Scientific American article

"Tim Linden, an astronomer at The Ohio State University, and his colleagues recently mapped

how the sun’s high-energy glow dances across its face over time.

Linden and his colleagues examined a decade’s worth of data from NASA’s Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope

""They found a potential link between these high-energy emissions, the sun’s fluctuating magnetic field and the timing of the solar cycle."

https://www.scientificamerican…ays-and-no-one-knows-why/

• I am happy to see a consensus develop in the LENR community that associates the production of energy from nuclear based reactions and magnetism.

That and the previous post are non-sequiturs. Solar flares, from known physics, accelerate ions to Gev energy. Not surprisingly, just as in a particle accelerator, that leads to large production of many energetic particles including gammas. it is sort of the opposite to LENR.

• Not surprisingly, just as in a particle accelerator, that leads to large production of many energetic particles including gammas.

Jokipii The cause of this poleequator shift in gamma-ray emission remains unknown. “I tried to find an interpretation and I came up—one of the few times in my life—totally without any explanation'"

Cohen""these trends might match, but says he cannot currently explain why.

Igor Moskalenko, an astronomer at Stanford University who was not involved in the study, agrees that there is no obvious explanation

Perhaps THHnewtral might enlighten these three astro physicists about what is the cause......

• Perhaps bocjin not neutral might try to distinguish between complex dynamical systems not understood and new physics?

In this case are you saying anyone doubts that flares generate high energy particles in the same way as an accelerator? Large magnetic and electric fields impart GeV of energy to ions?

Pray tell me what lack of understanding of such high energy turbulent plasma systems has to do with LENR? There are an awful lot of complex systems we do not understand... No-one is proposing new particle physics or nuclear reaction mechanisms as relevant here.

• :)

You are on a sticky wicket here!

How about YOU surprise them a lot more by your link between LENR and this stuff?

One of the classic logical errors made here is to suppose that "some stuff cannot be understood and is mysterious" is the same as "the nuclear physics underlying said stuff is probably broke and needs to be rewritten". Those two propositions are worlds apart and while both might be true, noting the first does not imply, or even make likely, the second.

Where have I claimed to understand what they do not? Nor have a claimed to be God, who according to most accounts understands everything...

• Perhaps the somewhat dogmatic attitudes that characterised 19th century scientific thinking are not always a comfortable fit with those of the 21st century.

T. H. Huxley was a great scientist and a great educator, but he was only human and he had his faults. His faults were common to many other people in the 19th century so perhaps he was blind to them. For example, he was terribly racist. Some of his statements about black people were shocking by modern standards. His views moderated by the 1860s, when he was 40, but he still believed "the average Negro was inferior to the average White" (Bibby, p. 25). He was also strongly biased against Jews and Irish people.

On the other hand, his sister lived in the U.S. lived in the south (Tennessee as I recall) and her son was in the Confederate army, but he supported the Union. (Bibby, p. 25)

He was dogmatic at times. I think 20th and 21st century scientists tend to be less dogmatic because they have seen the evil science can help bring about, such as World War I and thermonuclear weapons. The great hopes for a bright future brought about by science and technology ended in 1914, and I do not think they ever return. Nor should they, in my opinion. They were naive.

• Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

The article mentions gammas of up to 100 GeV. Wow. What physical process can lead to gammas of that energy knowing that the sun is mostly composed of hydrogen and helium?

Flares and other surface events are driven by large-scale collapse of magnetic fields which store an enormous amount of energy - that is a physical process for potentially very high energies imparted to ions.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mssl/res…Archive1516/SarahMatthews

• Flares and other surface events are driven by large-scale collapse of magnetic fields which store an enormous amount of energy - that is a physical process for potentially very high energies imparted to ions.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mssl/res…Archive1516/SarahMatthews

In the file that you attached, "very high energy imparted to ions" remains in KeV, e.g. hard x-rays, still 6 orders of magnitude short of the 100 GeV gammas. What did I miss?

Edit: I got the answer here:

https://www.sciencenews.org/ar…-rays-sun-magnetic-fields

The sun’s high-energy gamma rays aren’t produced directly by the star. Instead, the light is triggered by cosmic rays — protons that zip through space with some of the highest energies known in nature — that smack into solar protons and produce high-energy gamma rays in the process (SN: 10/14/27, p. 7).

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.