QX Concepts - A less critical Rossi thread.

• The development of the QX was a mistake on Rossi's part. We all know that many thousands of QX sub units would be a nightmare to control and a waste of material to manufacture. He must have been greatly affected by the failure of the wafer based reactors and entered a state of inventors neurosis. So Rossi designed the smallest reactor that he could build without regard for power density, the most desirable feature of a reactor's design. Rossi must have been thinking about the home reactor as a QX application. But a home heating system still needs to produce about 100 kilowatts which is extremely unwieldy for the QX to meet.

I will bet that somebody other than Rossi came up with the SK design. The SK is recognition that the QX development was a waist of time. There must be an as yet undisclosed high flying reactor designer working incognito in Rossi's crew or in the employ of Rossi's customer.

The more power that the SK can generate makes for a better reactor system's design. The 20 kW E-Cat SK is a good system's design and I have my doubts that Rossi was disposed to think of producing it having been traumatized at Doral.

• The development of the QX was a mistake on Rossi's part. We all know that many thousands of QX sub units would be a nightmare to control and a waste of material to manufacture. He must have been greatly affected by the failure of the wafer based reactors and entered a state of inventors neurosis. So Rossi designed the smallest reactor that he could build without regard for power density, the most desirable feature of a reactor's design. Rossi must have been thinking about the home reactor as a QX application. But a home heating system still needs to produce about 100 kilowatts which is extremely unwieldy for the QX to meet.

I will bet that somebody other than Rossi came up with the SK design. The SK is recognition that the QX development was a waist of time. There must be an as yet undisclosed high flying reactor designer working incognito in Rossi's crew or in the employ of Rossi's customer.

The more power that the SK can generate makes for a better reactor system's design. The 20 kW E-Cat SK is a good system's design and I have my doubts that Rossi was disposed to think of producing it having been traumatized at Doral.

Designing the QX is what kept Rossi

going.When he realized it worked that drove him to improve on it

and work on the SK with input from

others.

• The development of the QX was a mistake on Rossi's part.

Axil,

Your whole comment is close to babble territory, something I hoped would be avoided on this thread.

Rossi was just experimenting to see what happened with a plasma reactor and certainly didn't have enough information to "design" one with known output at that stage.

The QX has an output of 1 kW that would be suitable for home heating. Yo don't need 1 100 kW.

You have no basis for claiming Rossi didn't design the SK reactors.

• These 500 are phases of matter, not states of matter. There are only 4 or 5 known states (if you include BEC). They don't undergo phase transitions which can be exothermic. They are simply different quantum states due to things like extreme pressure and confinement. And they are highly theoretical. How does this have anything to do with LENR? Which of these 500 states do you think have anything to do with repeatable unrepeatable gammas? Can you show me anywhere in these non-validated theories where they discuss phase transitions that can generate gammas? This is starting to sound like string theory nonsense.

• Let's try to get a little more on topic.

The Rossi Gullstrom paper provides some information about a specific QX setup.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.05249.pdf

Here is a list of what I think are the basic components.

1) Two Nickel 212 alloy (with manganese) electrodes with rounded ends coated in platinum with very small field emitter tips.

https://www.alloywire.us.com/products/nickel-212/

2) A transparent cylinder surrounding the two electrodes. Rossi claims this is not quartz but is custom made. Since a few of his submitted patent application titles mention a transparent x-ray emitting reactor, this material may be transparent to x-rays.

3) LiAlH4 and perhaps argon gas or supplemental hydrogen.

4) Possible backing magnets behind the nickel electrodes (samarium cobalt).

5) Power supply capable of providing high voltage initial pulse and 100 khz DC impulses. This power supply should also have the ability to withstand back spikes of power.

6) A setup to apply vacuum to degas the components.

7) A heat exchanger utilizing water or oil.

Here is how I think the device works.

A) A high voltage pulse is applied that triggers a brief arc discharge or close to an arc discharge to produce an abundance of altered hydrogen atoms (there could be many terms to describe these but "small hydrogen" seems to work). During this pulse LENR reactions may also occur due to lithium or other elements in the plasma absorbing these altered hydrogen atoms.

B) Once the plasma is established, several seconds of MUCH lower voltage pulsed DC impulses are applied at 100khz. Each goal pushes the plasma towards an arc discharge. The circuit should have enough resistance to make sure that an arc discharge state is not achieved. During each of these pulses the electron space charge issue is minimized and the reaction rate climbs.

C) The power is cut for a few seconds to prevent over heating.

D) The cycle repeats.

• 7) A heat exchanger utilizing water or oil.

A low melting point metal/alloy would be better ti get a high enough temperature for a gas turbine.

A liquid metal might cope with EVOs if there are any.

• Designing the QX is what kept Rossi

going.When he realized it worked that drove him to improve on it

and work on the SK with input from

others.

I got the impression that Rossi was about to enter the manufacturing phase involving the QX. Then the Sk come out of nowhere. Why would Rossi undercut the QX with another competing product? It sounds to me as if the SK was never in the product plan, sort of like the SK was a side project of one of his team.

• Here's what we need to remember.

The QX produces power in three forms -- heat, light, and electricity. Right now, he claims to be transforming the light and electricity into heat. In the future, I suspect QX like devices could be inside every major appliance to provide copious electricity.

Right now though, I don't think we need to worry too awful much on theory. What we need to do is figure out the details needed for replication. I think we know many of these. What we really need is for someone to work on a tentative design for a power supply, for example.

• I got the impression that Rossi was about to enter the manufacturing phase involving the QX.

Read what I wrote "Origin of the SK" at the bottom of the previous page.

Our house, near Philadelphia, used a peak of 14900 cu.ft. for the coldest month, for heating the house and water. That is 4367 kWH for the month. 15kW us a long way from 100 kW.

For practical reasons it would be better to have separate heaters for he water and the house.

• No extra heater coil needed to heat plasma and dissolve LIALH4?

Any additional magnetic containment besides permanent magnets near each electrode?

Why frequency has to be set to 100kHz?

GLOW discharge only. NO arc discharge?

Size of inner reaction chamber where glow discharge happens. Length & diameter in mm?

• Gerold,

1) According to Frank Acland's account there is no coil present.

2) I don't think there is any magnetic containment except for the magnets behind each electrode (if they are there) creating a magnetic mirror effect.

3) From other papers I've read about technologies utilizing related concepts, the pulsing effect is important in producing nuclear reactions. It may work at other frequencies but we know Rossi used 100khz at the Stockholm demo.

4) I highly suspect the device utilizes the pulsed abnormal glow discharge regime between normal glow discharge and arc discharge. This is a negative resistance zone in which the current can rise while the voltage drops.

5) The plasma column is very small. I believe it is only one millimeter in diameter. However, the inner diameter of the transparent tube is larger.

• But a home heating system still needs to produce about 100 kilowatts which is extremely unwieldy for the QX to meet.

The QX has an output of 1 kW that would be suitable for home heating.

Good grief! Both of you need to go to Home Depot and look around. 1 kW??? Really? An electric heater that barely keeps one small room warm is 1.5 kW. They cost $15. See:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PELON…c-Space-Heater/1000378947

100 kW?? The average home furnace in the U.S. is rated at 80,000 to 100,000 btu. That's 23 to 29 kW.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/…e-btu-furnaces-88602.html

These number are common knowledge, and available on a million internet sites. Yet both of you were wrong by factors ranging from 4 to 20.

• Good grief! Both of you need to go to Home Depot and look around. 1 kW??? Really? An electric heater that barely keeps one small room warm is 1.5 kW.

I wasn't suggesting single QX. But consider how tiny they are. It would not be a problem to put 15 in a box. Wake up!

• I wasn't suggesting single QX. But consider how tiny they are. It would not be a problem to put 15 in a box. Wake up!

If that is what you had in mind, I think you have said so. How would anyone reading this know that is what you mean?

"Wake up" is an odd thing to say in response to someone who has pointed out that on the face of it, your claim is wrong by a factor of 20.

Anyway, it would take 20 or 30, not 15.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.