QX Concepts - A less critical Rossi thread.

• Thanks Jed, that is my mistake, I should have said 100,000 BTUs.

• Hot water heaters are 34,000 btu/hour. A large home furnace in the U.S. is 100,000 btu/hour. 134,000 btu/h = 39 kW, not 100 kW.

Jed, I had just posted that my house used ~15 kW. Why on earth would I suggest 1 kW would be adequate?

100,000 BYU/hr is 29 kW.

Anyway, the QX is on hold and it is the SK production line that is being built.

An SK 20kW is overkill for a water heater so there may be a market for the QX.

• Although the QX doesn't operate in a vacuum, I wonder if this effect is at play with the platinum coating of the nickel manganese electrode.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/740627

The behaviour of vacuum arc discharges at hydrogen impregnated electrodes

Abstract:This paper is concerned with experimental studies of the behaviour of vacuum arcs at hydrogen impregnated electrodes. The arc discharges were analysed by high-speed photography, registration of arc voltage and current and measurements of the erosion upon dependence of the level of impregnation for a wide range of arc currents. The results show that impregnation of electrodes with hydrogen reduces the erosion rate, causes smaller crater dimensions, changes the macroparticle size and decreases the current per spot. For a given current, the arc voltage depends on the degree of impregnation with hydrogen. The voltage of low current arcs decreases with increasing impregnation. Furthermore, the arc discharge burns more stably on impregnated electrodes. The total erosion rate decreases significantly due to the reduction of the droplet fraction. The spot movement is mainly faster than on nonimpregnated electrodes.

Published in: Proceedings ISDEIV. 18th International Symposium on Discharges and Electrical Insulation in Vacuum (Cat. No.98CH36073)

• 20kW would be ok for a water heater. Many electric showers here in the UK are 8-12kW but the flow rate isnt great. 20kW would be pretty decent. Enough for body jets etc.

A typical water heater in the US has ~5 kW and a 80 gallon tank. I changed to gas as it is cheaper.

So 20 kW would be overkill & more expensive due to the heat exchanger required.

An Sk might work for a tankless on-demand system. I haven't done the sums.

• A typical water heater in the US has ~5 kW and a 80 gallon tank. I changed to gas as it is cheaper.

So 20 kW would be overkill & more expensive due to the heat exchanger required.

Jf to days fuel was not a "market price" stock market driven lets get rich modesty would you still be interested in the percentage gain?

• PforD.

You have NO hint, let alone proof that a factory is not being built.

Please follow the thread guidelines and refrain from posting your unsupported negative opinions. Rossi ws offered financial help to build a factory in PA earlier this year and turned it down saying he was already committed.

Ruby

November 8, 2018 at 8:20 AM

Dear Dr Andrea Rossi,

Will you make other validation tests on the Ecats?

All the best,

Ruby

Andrea Rossi

November 8, 2018 at 8:26 AM

Ruby:

No, because now we are at the industrialization phase. The “validation” is made by the Customers. This said, our R&D activity obviously will continue, as it happens for any industrial product, as well as we will continue our strong effort in the theoretical field related to our technology.

Warm Regards,

A.R.

• Here is a question for everyone.

What is a reactor tube material that is transparent to optical light and x-rays?

• I think most sufficiently thin light materials will be "transparent enough" to X-rays, unless we're dealing with very low energy X-rays, conceivably on the order of 1-2 keV or so, which would need truly special materials to be technically useful as an optically transparent container (unlikely) or as a window component.

• Rossi said today:

"The aim of the January 31st presentation is not to get a validation. We are presenting a service that is based on an industrial production, not on a prototype that needs to be validated. The goal of the presentation is commercial, not scientific and has to be object of clear distinction from a work of R&D,

The assembly will start at the beginning of the year 2019."

Tehre will be inevitably be some debugging required and I hope he will test some early units for a reasonable time before putting them to work.

• Adrian, forgive my ignorance (because I have missed much of the latest eCat banter) but what does SK stand for? I recall Rossi evaluating his Quark X based on what he called a Sigma rating, and if I recall after some time it reached a sigma 5 (although I was not sure what that meant, but presumably some kind of measure of reliability). Anyways it seems the SK came very soon after, and in a moment of musement I imagined it stood for Sigma Killer. That is, it was inherently stable or reliable. But this is just my imagination at work.

Off on a tangent now; back in the day when I was following theses things, when Rossi was working at Dorval overseeing the plant operations, that's when he came up with the Quark X. It was announced right around the time when his relationship with IH was going sour, or south. I always wondered if Rossi started working on his new project (the Quark X) because 1) he got wind that Industrial Heat did not have his interests at heart with his then existing IP, so he decided to launch into something new with the Quark X, or 2) Rossi started work on his Quark X and was not sharing that IP with Industrial Heat, which then ticked off IH, or 3) the same timeframe for the invention of the Quark X and the souring of relationship between Rossi and IH was just a coincidence. Thanks for any insight you might share.

• what does SK stand for?

SK stands for the physicist Sven Kullander (headed the Skeptical Soc.) who viewed one of Rossi's reactors working in Europe and who Rossi said had been most helpful to him.

Suggest you read my comment #24 on page 1 about the origins on the SK.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.