QX Concepts - A less critical Rossi thread.

• Do you have any thoughts on QX replication?

I don't think enough is known to attempt to replicate it. In any case, the SK series seem to be the reactors going into production, and they would be the ones to replicate if the information is made available. As Rossi says he will not release it this is unlikely to happen,

The main point of replication is to prove if something works. We will know that soon enough by whether Rossi keeps his old customers and continues to have new customers.

• Is this still thought to be his/a workable recipie?.

I don't think anybody knows Rossi's formula, that anyway has changed over the years.

MFMP's formula was Greenyer;s guess from hints from various experiments including Rossi, but if it werethe answer we would probably have heard by now.

• I want to get this thread back on topic.

First, if you are going to participate on this thread, please try to assume that we have at least enough basic information to get us started on a replication.

Secondly, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions about where to get components, how to coat the nickel electrodes with platinum, how to produce a vacuum in the reactor, how to produce the field emitter tip, how to build a power supply, etc. We need to start at least putting together ideas on how someone could move forward on a replication.

• That would depend on the team. We don't know if anyone on the team that builds a QX will be skilled in electroplating or not. Also, we should probably look at the platinum layer produced by electroplating and see if it would hold up to a plasma well. There may be other methods of depositing a platinum layer that are better.

I really think it is up to the LENR community to make sure the QX sees the light of day. I don't expect Rossi will ever attract the investment he requires while maintaining such strict secrecy and refusing to share know how with partners.

As I've said before, I think the good news is that we have a basic understanding of the QX and the principles that make it work. Primarily, interested parties need to go back to the work of Paulo and Alexandra Correa and Chernetsky and learn about the abnormal glow discharge regime (the region between a standard glow discharge and an arc discharge).

• I am unsure what the cylinder might be made of. One possibility is synthetic diamond. I'm starting to think it is fused quartz after all and Rossi just wants to throw us off track.

• 20,000C is the temperature of the plasma. You can find tons of paper online where the temperature of a plasma is 20,000C or higher. This does not mean that the tube becomes this hot.

• Hello Everyone,

Gerold.s has provided a preliminary 2D drawing of the QX setup. The file can be found here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x53o…ation_concept_v1.pdf?dl=0

Please compare the contents of the above file with the image of the QX from the Rossi-Gullstrom paper.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.05249.pdf

I am not mechanically inclined, so I would like to request the users of LENR Forum to look at the image in the Rossi-Gullstrom paper and provide Gerold.s with better figures for the next draft.

• Not sure if this design draft fits to Rossi's claim, that all radiation (incl. gamma?) is thermalized. How would that work with the plastic parts from home depot?How can strong radiation from nuclear processes be thermalized in floating water? No shielding required because of no radiation? Many things don't fit together...

• Here are a few issues that I think need to be addressed with the 2D drawing.

1) We guessed at the size and shape of the electrodes. Comparing the 2D drawing to the image in the Rossi-Gullstrom paper, I think the platinum coated nickel electrodes need to be sized differently.

2) The cylinder needs to be transparent and we don't have any proof that any transparent from of boron nitride is available.

3) The possible usage of backing magnets should be included in drawing, but they should be listed as optional and not proven.

There are probably many other issues that need to be addressed as well.

I would really appreciate it if users of this forum could study the picture of the QX, figure out the sizes/shapes/distances of components, and make comments in this thread. We need to make this 2D model as accurate as possible.

• Not sure if this design draft fits to Rossi's claim, that all radiation (incl. gamma?) is thermalized. How would that work with the plastic parts from home depot?How can strong radiation from nuclear processes be thermalized in floating water? No shielding required because of no radiation? Many things don't fit together...

Let's not worry too much about theory now. Let's focus on using what we know and the image from the paper to make a more accurate 2D drawing.

• In Rossi's early years you can find a lot where he talks about a lot of gamma rays. This...it was once a big topic...nowadays all his devices seem to work without any radiation at all, although claimed to be nuclear. Probably the main reason there is no theory yet... :)

One sample:

Andrea Rossi
    May 7th, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Very interesting. After 2 hours we still have thermal emission, but still we don’t have radiations out of the reactor. Of course, the lasting of thermal emission means that readiation (gamma) continues to be thermalized. We ( Focardi and me) are convinced that neutrons don’t reach the energy to exit the nuclea, with some exception, which is thermalized in 20′,also because our shielding od boron and lead is much lower that you calculated.

Warm Regards,

Andrea Rossi

Edit --> a more recent one (but he is not mentioning gamma explicitly):

Andrea Rossi
    October 7, 2018 at 8:09 AM

Koen Vandewalle:

I think you have to read again my answer to Roy. It has nothing to do with your comment.

Anyway: the radiations inside the Ecat are thermalized.

Warm Regards,

A.R.

• I really want to get back on track so that we can produce a better 2D drawing of the QX.

However, I'll address the gamma issue.

The fact is that if cold fusion reactors (even fairly low powered ones) produced a quantity of gamma rays in appropriate measure to the amount of heat they produce that they would be extremely dangerous devices. However, most or all LENR devices produce only relatively low levels of gamma radiation. This means that the vast majority of the heat is NOT from "traditional" thermalization of gamma radiation that would come from gammas traveling through lead or another material. If the gamma rays are being thermalized, it is by some exotic mechanism that must be taking place near the site of the LENR reaction. Another possibility is that there are additional heat generation mechanisms we do not understand.

Rossi knows all of this and he is not an idiot. He knows there is another process taking place. However, the simplest thing to say without giving away any information that could help replicators is that the gammas are being thermalized.

• Official Post

The fact is that if cold fusion reactors (even fairly low powered ones) produced a quantity of gamma rays in appropriate measure to the amount of heat they produce that they would be extremely dangerous devices.

Damn right they would. The gammas are a signature of a nuclear event, but represent maybe 10-9 % of the heat generated or less. They are tiny wisps of smoke from a clean-burning fire.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.