QX Concepts - A less critical Rossi thread.

• Speculation but...Im wondering if the clamps are pressing on the electrodes which actually slide in the tube thereby compacting the powder between them? Otherwise I can't see why such clamps were used. Over centre clamps can produce a lot of force.

I don't think the system uses any powder other than perhaps a tiny bit of LiAlH4 or LiH that may be vaporized.

I'm actually wondering if the electrodes may be inserted into the tube in a glove box filled with hydrogen to prevent atmospheric contamination. But there must be some way to then lower the pressure in the reactor so that a discharge can take place at lower voltages.

• San,

Thanks for the link.

It is pretty obvious that Director has never invented anything, or at least tried to bring it to the market, Or he would know how difficult it is and not be so critical of Rossi.

I can imagine that inventing something and bringing it to the market can be extremely difficult. But I think what's even more difficult is trying to capture one hundred percent marketshare when you are unwilling to disclose the IP required to prove your technology works so that you can obtain adequate funding. If I came up with a radical LENR technology (which won't happen because I don't have a lab to do any testing) I'd open source it. However, if I were trying to commercialize the technology, I'd try to find a huge company that I could exchange all the IP to in exchange for a written guarantee that they'd have X amount of units on the market within a certain period of time. If they failed, I would be given the IP back along with additional funds.

In Rossi's case, unless I am mistaken and he has somehow found a cure to inventors disease, he has not shared the IP of the QX/SK with anyone. Until he does so, I seriously doubt he will be able to mass market the technology.

• That might work but it's not the arrangement Rossi demonstrated in Stockholm. I think his is much simpler. Unless I'm wrong....

Didn't the arrangement in Stockholm reportedly contain 3 QX, all with a "hair-like" (what he said during the event, which appeared to contradict what he told Mats Lewan later on) plasma region?

https://animpossibleinvention.…cat-qx-demo-in-stockholm/

The clamps appear to be used for the electrical connection to the electrodes as well as mounting because I see no wires going in elsewhere.

The clamps and connecting exposed metal parts were live and both Rossi and Fabiani were really concerned about people potentially touching them.

• CWatters

I recall (I should be linking some references for this) there were even discussions/speculations on whether the reactor "cores", likely in the form of capillary tubes due to the reported plasma size, were placed in series or parallel inside the entire assembly. I don't think he meant that there were three separate devices (for example as spares. That was the story for Lugano, although the testers later on claimed in their report that they didn't want to run it too hard to avoid damaging it, which seems odd if spares were indeed provided).

But the bottom line is that the device shown in the Gullström paper and the one of the demo in Stockholm (or Stockolm?) should not be confused with each other. I think if one really had to replicate a QX, even though very little practical details are known, in many ways the latter should be easier and require less resources.

EDIT: see this comment in the old QX demo thread and others following that.

• Thanks for input. Yes could well be that the design is even simpler ...

Please refer to following info what I have received on ECW http://disq.us/p/1xdrj07

• We now know - if the author of the new article on Infinite Energy magazine's website is correct - that BLPs Suncell works in the Pulsed Abnormal Glow Discharge Regime. I expected this but did not have confirmation, because previously BLP had only stated that an arc discharge was being utilized. In addition, the author discloses that the input is pulsed in the abnormal glow discharge regime. I think this is very important news in our understanding of the QX.

His description to how the Suncell works is in my opinion very similar to the QX. The following is how I see the QX operating.

First, a powerful impulse is applied to establish an ionized environment consisting of hydrogen, vaporized lithium, vaporized aluminum (if LiAlH4 is used), and perhaps a noble gas like argon.

Secondly, after the resonant discharge plasma is created, a series of lower voltage DC pulses are applied in a frequency that is optimal for inducing additional reactions.

Thirdly, during the initial impulse and additional impulses, hydrinos are being slammed into lithium to induce nuclear reactions.

The nuclear reactions are what allow a QX to operate for extended periods of time while a Suncell must have a continual supply of hydrogen.

(Of course we need to replicate a QX to confirm it works at all.)

Basically, I see the QX as an optimized Suncell that utilizes LENR reactions to avoid the need for a constant supply of hydrogen.

• Here is the quote.

"For purposes of gaining some insight into the SunCell, we
    pay attention to the region of arc discharge, specifically the
    region where impedance is negative, between I and J (Figure
    4). This is where the cell operates (although the cell is not a
    vacuum), where current increases as voltage decreases, more
    specifically, slightly to the left of J, with minimal voltage.
    The line is dashed in the area where the reaction can occur,
    but where it is not stable, due to the extreme negative resistance.
    The voltage is low because the conductor has very low
    resistance, being silver or gallium, with a fairly large crosssectional
    area, enough to conduct many thousands of Amps.
    Voltage is minimized, yet current flow is massive. This is an
    area perhaps mostly explored by welding engineers, who do
    not want to have hydrogen get near the metal, and certainly
    not water."

The area of negative resistance is considered the abnormal glow discharge zone. There are many different papers online that spell this out. However, some of the different charts will vary somewhat. In some papers, the green area that you boxed is considered a transition zone between abnormal glow discharge and arc discharge. The pure arc discharge does not begin until the negative resistance ends after the letter J.

Probably, the term abnormal glow discharge is not a good term to describe this regime because it is very different from a glow discharge due to the negative resistance, the sudden transient current spikes that can be produced, etc.

• @Director

I tried searching on the Internet various non-Wikipedia sources for voltage-current discharge graphs (try searching on google images for "abnormal glow discharge" to find the same graphs) and it appears that the Correas are the only ones referring to the region where resistance quickly decreases as the abnormal glow region. Besides, the graph provided in their patent in general does not look entirely correct since the arc region appears to be at just a slightly lower voltage than the glow region, whereas it should be significantly lower (unless they're using log voltage).

From the text provided in the article you posted, BLP claim they're running the reactor in the the stable arc discharge regime region where voltage is the lowest and resistance is not decreasing anymore.

If this is where the actual anomalous reaction occurs the best as BLP are suggesting, the Correa system where would then only reach it transiently. In their case (if I understand correctly) these would be analog to brief shorting events.

BLP are running their reactors in a region where the normal operating condition is for all intents and purposes a short-circuit, which is a big difference.

• The following makes it clear to me that they are pulsing the electric current instead of producing a sustained arc discharge.

"These videos are of a reactor with a fixed, small amount of
    hydrogen in an almost all inert argon atmosphere. This is to
    limit the heat and concussive energy generated, which has
    been destroying reactor vessels. By having a small “inventory”
    of hydrogen, and pulsing the electric current across the
    liquid gallium electrodes
    , the reaction is of short duration,
    and the concussions do not build into a resonance that
    destroys the reactor. Mills mentioned high speed video of
    the vessels being destroyed, which I expect shows increasing
    oscillatory behavior (resonance) that resulted in shattering."

All of the devices that are alleged to operate in the abnormal glow discharge regime (the negative resistance zone) have the goal of pushing as close as possible to a true arc discharge as possible and then stopping.

• @Director

I think BLP are simply pulsing current on-off into the arc regime to avoid quickly self-destructing the apparatus. It would probably be difficult for them to have any sort of controlled glow discharge due to the solid metal particles suspended in the environment and the fact that they generally use pressures around atmospheric, not a moderate vacuum (mTorr-a few Torr range) as the Correas describe in their patent applications.

References to pressure being around atmospheric for BLP devices can be also found here: https://brilliantlightpower.com/plasma-video/

EDIT: bottom line is that BLP devices don't seem to be all that similar to Correas': gas pressure among other things is an important parameter in defining the mode of operation of gas discharge tubes. More importantly for the intended purpose of this thread, not knowing what pressure range Rossi's QuarkX uses would make replicating it a shot in the dark, but if it does use pressures above atmospheric as some suggest (or even Rossi by implying that his granted patent also covers it), then it would be more similar to BLP's and arc lamps/HID lamps in general.

1. Andrea Rossi November 21, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Toussaints Francois:

Yes.

Warm Regards,

A.R.

2. Toussaint françois November 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM

Dear Andrea Rossi,

I wish you a great success at the January presentation, when you will fire up this “beast” will we see the incredible light emitted from it ?

Warm Regards,

Toussaint françois

3. Viktor Shipachev
      November 21, 2018 at 7:58 PM When and where will be published the paper reporting the tests of the last week?
      Thanks if you can answer,
      Viktor Shipachev
    4. Andrea Rossi November 21, 2018 at 8:02 PM Viktor Shipachev:
      Premature. First, we have to analyze the data and study the theoretical implications, eventually, if there will be the necessary bases, we will make the publication, that will be signed by all the participants and where to publish we will see.
      Warm Regards,
      A.R.
  • Child's new video tells us a lot more about plasmas, measuring thing in and around a plasma. Tells us more than Rossi so far. Doing that kind of research is more valuable than replicating the QX. If Rossi will show the SK working it will be commercial in 2019.

http://e-catworld.com/2018/11/…port-published-new-video/

It shows a number of surprising things such as the temperature and density and that it produces many different elements.

I wouldn't be surprised if plasma was not the basic mechanism for LENR.

• suspect that LENR can happen in most or indeed all phases of matter. It has no respect for rules that you or I might devise.

I agree. I worded it badly calling it plasma although it may be.'There seems to be some nuclear reaction that is ,missing from standard theory, that takes place in many situations at such a small scale that it has been missed. I don't find any of the current theories particularly convincing.

• I think BLP are simply pulsing current on-off into the arc regime to avoid quickly self-destructing the apparatus.

Reading their papers would be more helpful...

They use capacitor banks to generate up to 16k Amps. The can fire about 10x/sec. And the initial voltage is below 15V...

Today with super caps, may be they can do it much more frequently and with higher currents.

• The more I think about it, the simpler the basic mechanism of the QX/SK seems to be.

In the simplest terms, you are producing a system in which atomic hydrogen and metal vapor (lithium and traces of platinum/nickel) can be made to come into contact during a high current spike (during a period of negative resistance) which also self produces a magnetic field that produces a pinch effect. The first pulse has to be of a high voltage to initially ionize the environment in the reactor. However, subsequent pulses can be of a much lower voltage due to the fact that the reactions are continuing to ionize the environment.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.