New Preprint - "Forbidden Nuclear Reactions"

• A new preprint elaborating on a possible new, non-intuitive quantum theory of LENR -

"Forbidden Nuclear Reactions" -- https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.04398

Excerpt:

In low-energy nuclear reactions (LENR), a new and problematic field that emerged after the notorious ”cold fusion” publication by Fleischmann and Pons in 1989 [3], results are reported that are in conflict with (1). Despite the fact that even the possibility of the phenomenon of nuclear fusion at low energies is received with due skepticism in mainstream physics [4] low-energy nuclear reactions (LENR) are dealt with in a great number of laboratories and publications (mostly experimental), conferences and periodicals have been devoted to various aspects of the problem. (For summary of the field see e.g. [5], [6], [7], [8].) The aim of this paper is to show the possible reason for anomalies of cross sections of nuclear reactions of particles of like charges at low energy in general.

• Official Post

Woo, not easy. Could someone explains in more clear terms?

As I understand the idea is that if the usual direct transition (fusion) is practically forbidden (coulomb barrieer), maybe it is possible via a "2nd order" reaction where two bosons instead ) instead of one are involved, like simultaneous correlated phonons...

When you eliminate the impossible, then it is the improbable that happened...

The idea proposed as I understand involves an intermediate step involving an impurity... something to be defined...

A 3 body system, in atomic state...

Then I don't understand the math...

Is this just a general discussion ? or proposing a possible core of a theory, like hydroton or Widom-Larsen-Srivastava ?

As I understand this proposes the theory is not a collective phenomenon, but a 3 body story, involving something like 2 hydrogen atoms, and an impurity...

There is something said about chemisoption which remind me usual Hydride systems...

Something about energy of outcome below 7keV which I don't understand well...

My core question is if the theory, which proposes a way for the reaction to happens, also explains why it is not producing MeV gammas?

A side question is also if that 3 body mechanism, could be "integrated" into a multi-body theory like hydroton/WLS?

• Official Post

Wyttenbcah's theory explains (putting it simply) why we see no high-energy gammas, since a large part of the photon energy is dissipated as magnetic flux coupled to other nuclei in the system -acceptor nuclei if you like - where it is expressed as heat. ETA He tells me he thinks that this paper is very much 'old news' and based on some unreliable theoretica evidence.

• He tells me he thinks that this paper is very much 'old news' and based on some unreliable theoretica evidence.

My core question is if the theory, which proposes a way for the reaction to happens, also explains why it is not producing MeV gammas?

The ''strong force'" is supposed to mediate one of their reactions..

how the deep strong force gets out to overcome the Coulomb force is obscured in the math.

Alain's question is not addressed.. these guys need to put that into their theory.. how fierce 2.2 Mevs become docile <4eV warmth

I shall ask them if they have an alternative explanation to Wyttenbach's

They said recently that NOW there is no barrier to Cold fusion experimental research.

I'd be interested to hear how their expts are going..

Woo, not easy. Could someone explains in more clear terms?

Forbidden transitions are these ones prohibited by Gauss nonradiating condition. Spherial antennae cannot radiate - only elongated dipoles. The electrons therefore cannot jump between spherical concentric orbitals and their energy transitions are thus "forbidden"- it manifests itself by missing or very weak spectral lines.

Experience in atomic physics indicates that in case of forbidden transitions the second order process may play an important role. As e.g. in the case of the hydrogen 2s1/2 −1s1/2 transition, which is a forbidden electric dipole transition, the largest transition rate comes from a two photonic process [11] in which the sum of the energies of the simultaneously emitted photons equals the difference between the energies of states 2s1/2 and 1s1/2. The mean life time 1/7 s of the 2s1/2 state due to the two photonic process is much longer than the lifetime 1.6× 10−9 s of state 2p1/2 for which electric dipole transition is allowed. Thus one can conclude that a second order process from the point of view of perturbation calculation can result small but finite transition rate. In the second order process the state is changed in first order and states, which can produce allowed electric dipole transition rate, are mixed with small amplitude to the initial 2s1/2 state meanwhile two particles are emitted.

Similarly an essential change of the initial eigenstate of ε = 0 may happen due to any perturbation since it can mix states of ε 6 = 0 with small but finite amplitude to the initial state resulting much smaller (compared to neutron absorption) but finite rate of the nuclear reaction originally forbidden in the ε → 0 limit. Consequently, cross section and rate of processes to be considered should be calculated by the rules of standard perturbation calculation of quantum mechanics. Our statement applies to every nuclear process for which σ (ε) has the form of (1) and limε→0 σ (ε) = 0 holds, and as such it concerns low energy nuclear physics with charged participants in general.

• Article further links the forbidden electron transitions with anomalous electron screening of three body system:

Extraordinary observations in cross section measurements of dd reactions in deuterated metal targets made in low energy accelerator physics which can not be explained by electron screening are named anomalous screening. Systematic survey of anomalous screening effect was made by Huke & all a decade ago, however the full theoretical explanation of the effect is still missing...

The basic article idea as I understood it is, if two electrons forming spherically symmetric orbitals (like the d(d, n) 3He2) cannot leave the orbital and to excite to higher energy state easily, they're forced to resonate inside their orbital in such a way, both electrons occasionally emerge between proton nuclei, thus shielding their repulsive force, so that their cold fusion can happen. Authors of article attempted to calculate the probability of this situation and cross-section of fusion from quantum equations of two electron and one proton state.

The article is intriguingly linked to Zitterbewegung Model for Ultra-Dense Hydrogen and Low Energy Nuclear Reactions presented recently at Vesela Nikolova's blog. The connecting point here is, if the electrons are constrained in doing normal electron transitions, they refrain to anomalous oscillations called quantum zitterbewegung, which - as authors believe - may promote both establishing of subquantum states of hydrogen, both their LENRs. In scientific literature the German term Zitterbewegung is used to indicate very fast swing / rotation of a quantum particle constrained in its free motion as Dirac has said in 1931: "It is found that an electron which seems to us to be moving slowly, must actually have a very high frequency oscillatory motion of small amplitude superposed on the regular motion which appears to us. As result of this oscillatory the velocity of the electron at any time equals the velocity of light".

• The basic article idea as I understood it is, if two electrons forming spherically symmetric orbitals (like the d(d, n) 3He2) cannot leave the orbital and to excite to higher energy state easily, they're forced to resonate inside their orbital in such a way, both electrons occasionally emerge between proton nuclei, thus shielding their repulsive force, so that their cold fusion can happen. Authors of article attempted to calculate the probability of this situation and cross-section of fusion from quantum equations of two electron and one proton state.

Two electrons as seen in 4-He (3-He) do a spin pairing - something STDM cannot explain as in fact the electron current (charge) according STDM must be repulsive - what it is not. If you use the 4D orbit configuration you directly get the spin-pairing energy by applying the standard rules for the weak spin force...

The paper above is based on traditional 3D,t math than cannot express 4D orbits. This math has failed for 80 years now to explain any nuclear effects. Explain means to calculate any quantity with more than 4 digits precision just from basic constants!

Two electrons as seen in 4-He (3-He) do a spin pairing - something STDM cannot explain

Because electrons are fermions, the Pauli exclusion principle forbids these particles from having exactly the same quantum numbers. Therefore, the only way to occupy the same orbital, i.e. have the same orbital quantum numbers, is to differ in the spin quantum number. This limits the number of electrons in the same orbital to exactly two. Which other theory explains, that electrons in orbitals must come in pairs (link)?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.