Jacques Ruer - The Rossi Letter

• In criminal psychology there is something called the "dark triad" which is a trio of personality disorders -- narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy --that often cluster together. Of these, Rossi strongly displays both narcissism (grandiose, self-centred behaviour) and Machiavellianism (manipulation, callous disregard of others), and seems pretty high in one of the dimensions of psychopathy (boldness and impetuosity). These are personality disorders, and as such are core items of psychological structure that someone cannot simply turn on and off at will.

A narcissist treats all those around him as but bit players on the glittering stage that is his (or her) life. The adulation is important and whether he is wealthy or poor doesn't matter. So I wouldn't expect Rossi to stop his charades just because he has made some money at them. It goes a lot deeper than that.

• Rossi's nasty mental problems don't explain why IH team left full money ?

People like Dewey Weaver are very very very clever and know how to juggle with business.

I conclude that inevitably Rossi has proven them significant XH a day.

Another point of view, sometimes truth is less far than we think..

Rossi simply has cancer, because of his work, so who knows what psychological state would be in his case ?

He would seek to hide it because bad to his business.

• Probably he's just carrying on what he's always done out of habit - and he's in good company with a narcissist elected as US president - and he still might just beat IH if he drops the QX and SK plasma designs and starts producing larger versions (up to Kg) of his original powder E-cat designs using deuterium and Holmlid's recipe for UDD synthesis (KFeO2 catalyst). The plasma cold fusion designs I think are a red herring because its heading half-cock down the hot fusion pathway and loses any benefit gained from the lattice energy imparted by transition metals. But good for impressing an audience who believe in E-cats.

• Probably he's just carrying on what he's always done out of habit - and he's in good company with a narcissist elected as US president - and he still might just beat IH if he drops the QX and SK plasma designs and starts producing larger versions (up to Kg) of his original powder E-cat designs using deuterium and Holmlid's recipe for UDD synthesis (KFeO2 catalyst). The plasma cold fusion designs I think are a red herring because its heading half-cock down the hot fusion pathway and loses any benefit gained from the lattice energy imparted by transition metals. But good for impressing an audience who believe in E-cats.

Dear "Doctor", you should refine your judgment because japanese as G. Oshawa already made transmutations by "cold" plasma way. Na+O=K

• In criminal psychology there is something called the "dark triad" which is a trio of personality disorders -- narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy --that often cluster together. Of these, Rossi strongly displays both narcissism (grandiose, self-centred behaviour) and Machiavellianism (manipulation, callous disregard of others), and seems pretty high in one of the dimensions of psychopathy (boldness and impetuosity). These are personality disorders, and as such are core items of psychological structure that someone cannot simply turn on and off at will.

A narcissist treats all those around him as but bit players on the glittering stage that is his (or her) life. The adulation is important and whether he is wealthy or poor doesn't matter. So I wouldn't expect Rossi to stop his charades just because he has made some money at them. It goes a lot deeper than that.

I remember the case of Mr. Jan Hendrik Schön, a "real" scientist.

On the way to the Nobel prize.

Not really comparable to A. Rossi, because Rossi isn't a scientist, but some things match.

• Rossi's nasty mental problems don't explain why IH team left full money ?

People like Dewey Weaver are very very very clever and know how to juggle with business.

I conclude that inevitably Rossi has proven them significant XH a day.

Rossi has not proven real XH.

He used his tricky setups and maybe there was some help from reports, made by real scientists.

But I don't want to reactivate that case.

Another point of view, sometimes truth is less far than we think..

Rossi simply has cancer, because of his work, so who knows what psychological state would be in his case ?

He would seek to hide it because bad to his business.

How do you know that he has cancer?

From his own blog, where he is talking with himself?

1. Andrea Rossi November 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Rodney Nicholson:

1- yes

2- miracle (I had months ago cancer surgery to the head and have to wear a special wig designed to protect from radiations).

Warm Regards,

A.R.

Rossi simply has cancer, because of his work

Nuclear radiations and dangers about his stuff have been always excluded by himself.

You are confirming that he lies.

• I don't try to defend Rossi at all, but only to be fair and precise. BTW I find that you always find arguments that are in line with your theories.

About the "doral" case, D Weaver seemed to know pump technology as well ... so I could not imagine he needs the help of real scientists to check the Ecat.

People around me went to officially check performance of brouillin technology ( no more than 1.5 COP) , They only needed to measure electrical power, measuring hot water flow, water temperature input / output and time, that's all .. no need for more complicated expertise. to align full dollars ..or not..

• I don't try to defend Rossi at all, but only to be fair and precise. BTW I find that you always find arguments that are in line with your theories.

About the "doral" case, D Weaver seemed to know pump technology as well ... so I could not imagine he needs the help of real scientists to check the Ecat.

People around me went to officially check performance of brouillin technology ( no more than 1.5 COP) , They only needed to measure electrical power, measuring hot water flow, water temperature input / output and time, that's all .. no need for more complicated expertise. to align full dollars ..or not..

Cydonia,

I must disagree about this. Your argument is essentially "it is easy to check performance - IH must have done it".

That is absolutely not true of Rossi's devices which are all used in Rossi-controlled (more or less) systems with hidden built-in false positives.

For example, to take recent ones we know about:

• The December Ferrara tests were signed off by Levi and 5 other academics. They contained an error in how you measure input power with a 3 phase measurement instrument.
    • The Lugano tests were signe doff - with detailed scrutiny - by Levi and 5 other academics. they contained an error in how temperature was estimated using IT thermography.

These errors survived inspection by scientists. Why on earth do you consider Dewey or anyone else at IH would do better?

Key to these problems is that Rossi has (always) misused instruments, used them in non-standard ways, etc. (I can give you many specific examples). When instruments are used wrongly you can get weird results, and somone able to follow the standard equations will accept these weird results as correct. You need to be a much better expert - and a good generalist - to detect and understand the many different false problems Rossi has used.

Take a very recent example. Rossi claims it is Ok to use Wien Law to estimate temperature and then Black Body power to determine output power. To check whether this gives (as Rossi claims) a reasonable approximation or (as others have noted) a wildly incorrect rsult you need to understand the laws here - Wien's Law, Planck's Law, and then understand how they change when used with non-black-body data. as has been noted above, Rossi has become less inventive since Doral. This error is a very obvious one easy to understand compared with the subtle IR measurement error that defeated IH for several months when their devised should excess power when measured in the Rossi (and Lugano Profs) approved way, but showed no excess power when measured in other ways.

Scientists just don't expect things to be deliberately spoofed (the Lugano Profs actually stated that they would not check for this). Non-scientists tend to defer to scientists. A few internet critics get dismissed as anti-LENR trolls. People who come to demos wanting robust testing with the capacity to do this get ejected.

To take your list of things needed:

• electrical power - spoofed by Rossi in at least two known different ways in published demos, both not detected (by Penon and the Swedish profs respectively)
    • measuring hot water flow - flowmeters need correct siting or they can massively over-read when half full of water. Detecting this is not obvious
    • water temperature input / output - Rossi has in the past used water measurement probes in contact with housing so that the actual temperature measured is not the water temperature, and this can deliver arbitrarily inflated results.
    • time: I'll give you that - I do not know a case when Rossi has spoofed time measurement. but never say never...
  • Cydonia yes, I agree transmutations have been observed by Oshawa and others, and more recently in the SAFIRE experiments. But isn't the probability of these fusion reactions too low (given the much larger Coulomb barrier for multi-proton nuclei) for energy production (given that its already difficult/nearly impossible with mono-proton deuterium and tritium) ? Using transition metal lattice confinement of deuterons improves the reaction rate but this advantage is lost on entering plasma states (unless gaseous metallic particles can absorb deuterium in the same way as a cold lattice). The slight advantage in raising the temperature to Rossi's flawed estimate of 8000 degrees C or so is insignificant compared to the temperature of 15 million degrees required to initiate a break-even D-T fusion rate.

• I must disagree about this. Your argument is essentially "it is easy to check performance - IH must have done it".

That is absolutely not true of Rossi's devices which are all used in Rossi-controlled (more or less) systems with hidden built-in false positives.

In Doral, the people from IH did check the performance, and it was easy. They found no excess heat. The only difficulty they encountered was that Rossi tried to stop them. Some of the other systems have been more difficult to check.

measuring hot water flow - flowmeters need correct siting or they can massively over-read when half full of water. Detecting this is not obvious

It was obvious.

• In Doral, the people from IH did check the performance, and it was easy. They found no excess heat. The only difficulty they encountered was that Rossi tried to stop them. Some of the other systems have been more difficult to check.

It was obvious.

Jed,

I don't wish to argue about this. What is "obvious" to one person is not to another. All Rossi's spoofs are obvious when understood, to the right people. That a flowmeter specified to measure flow to a given accuracy does not always do so will not be obvious to somone not highly experienced in the use of flowmeters, even though cautions about siting are in the manual. Few people read manuals. And anyone, given a non-standard system, can forget to check one of the many ways in which it is non-standard and defective.

Cydonia is saying "it should have been obvious to Dewey". Well, in retrospect yes. At the time, no. Finding a suitable person to check Rossi's demos is not easy. For Doral they would need to be expert in steam systems, electrical measurement. And they would need to have had full cooperative access. I'm pretty sure at Doral that was not given.

• [utilisateur = '2533'] Cydonia [/ utilisateur] oui, je conviens que des transmutations ont été observées par Oshawa et d’autres, et plus récemment par les expériences SAFIRE. Mais la probabilité de ces réactions de fusion n'est-elle pas trop faible (compte tenu de la barrière de Coulomb beaucoup plus grande pour les noyaux à protons multiples) pour la production d'énergie (étant donné que c'est déjà difficile / presque impossible avec le deutérium mono-proton et le tritium)? Le confinement des deutérons dans le réseau de métal de transition améliore la vitesse de réaction, mais cet avantage est perdu lors de l’entrée dans les états plasmatiques (à moins que des particules métalliques gazeuses puissent absorber le deutérium de la même manière qu’un réseau froid). Le léger avantage que présente l'augmentation de la température par rapport à l'estimation erronée de Rossi, qui est d'environ 8 000 degrés Celsius, est insignifiant par rapport à la température de 15 millions de degrés requise pour déclencher un taux de fusion DT équilibré.

Thanks doctore ohhh sorry i'm joking :)

Now Seriously, if you are right about IH neglect, you told about Rossi's brain disease therefore in the same way what's about IH vs third capital sin ? :)

Now, you suggest that Rossi's plasma technology doesn't work because finally ITER spent 20 billions dollars to try that with no results ?

In the same way, for yourself classical Ecat Ht should be right therefore do you have a paper to share this ? Never i heard anywhere kilowatts with so few powder as Rossi ..

You speak about what we know currently about physics principles, Don't you think we still know too little about physics of nucleus even if this "too little" was enough to make bombs and electricity ? Currently the fashion "word/way of thinking" being "quantum", It reminds me 30 years back with the word "turbo", there was everywhere, vacuum cleaners, hair dryer, coffee grinders etc etc :)

• Its so simple but not as far as I know been tried: several workers now report a repeatable 2.5 W output of excess heat per g of transition metal catalyst - all I was suggesting is to boost the reactor mass to say 1 Kg, then we should obtain an output of excess heat of at least 2.5 kW using appropriate deuterium loading with supplement catalyst KFeO2 just in case we can densify the deuterium a la Holmlid, stimulate a few muons with laser irradiation and there you have it a reactor with a respectable kW extra heat output. There's nothing to stop Rossi doing this and coming up with something that actually 'does what it says on the tin'.

• Don't you think we still know too little about physics of nucleus even if this "too little" was enough to make bombs and electricity ? Currently the fashion "word/way of thinking" being "quantum", It reminds me 30 years back with the word "turbo", there was everywhere, vacuum cleaners, hair dryer, coffee grinders etc etc :)

I agree quantum, like turbo, can be over-used in everyday speech. But "turbo" has never to my knowledge been used to indicate a specific scientific theory whereas quantum mechanics is that, and widely used in science. QM is pretty well understood now. There are frontiers in the theory and also many systems so complex to calculate that approximations are used - but it is old and well-tested theory that works well over a wide range.

• Everyone knows that Weaver/Rothwell/IH are the same soup, therefore they could be right about Rossi,

However, I can't imagine Rossi spend so much money to try to fool "old foxes" ...successfully.

I well studied all of Rossi's technologies so i understood his first target by a lot of Ecat releases was to improve instabillities..

Probably power was there at the beginning at Doral therefore fell over time what Rossi tried to hide.

I understand that for most people truth must remain limpid...white or black, easy to understand to read for common people as for religion... :)

Probably power was there at the beginning at Doral therefore fell over time what Rossi tried to hide.

Or more simply, very likely never was.

• Yes we know enough about thermonuclear fusion to make bombs, but do we understand the underlying processes? Maybe a lot of nuclear research is still classified top secret information its always possible a lot more useful data exists concerning the last few microsecs of D compression by gamma rays and neutrons just before the weapon goes off. Wouldn't surprise me if they always knew mesons were involved in accelerating the fusion reactions for example, but could never publish the information. Could be the tip of an iceberg?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.