Rossi: The final chapter

• Short answer: Aharonov Bohm theory paper is well known, the effect is controversial.

Now, please show me a paper where the electric Aharonov Bohm effect has been experimental verified!

I'm not sure the AB effect is controversial. It seems pretty well mandated from theory otherwise secure: one of the many beautiful and consistent weirdnesses of quantum theory

From wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…thematical_interpretation

Experiment:

1998: https://www.nature.com/articles/35808

I can't see any of the citations of this questioning that indeed this is experimental evidence of AB effect?

https://scholar.google.com/sch…sdt=2005&sciodt=0,5&hl=en

Clear periodic oscillations of the conductance are observed with a period of 5 mT, which is in good agreement with the predicted period for h/e oscillations. The relative amplitude of the Aharonov–Bohm oscillations at V = 500 µV is ∼5%, which is considerably larger than the results obtained for uniform rings6,7,8,9,10. The magnetic field not only pierces the hole of the loop, but also penetrates the arms of the loop in contrast to the ideal geometry proposed by Aharonov and Bohm1. This gives rise to aperiodic conductance fluctuations14, clearly visible in Fig. 2 as the slowly varying background on top of the Aharonov–Bohm oscillations. Because of the large difference in magnetic field scales, it is possible to filter out the aperiodic conductance fluctuations using Fourier analysis. In this way we can extract (from the conductance G) the Aharonov–Bohm conductance GAB, which we would measure if the field was applied only inside the ring.

THH

• Official Post

The Nigerian scammer technique. See:

Why Do Nigerian Scammers Say They are From Nigeria?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u…ay-they-are-from-nigeria/

Very good reference JedRothwell, perhaps the more amazing and baffling part of this strategy is that .... it works!!!

“By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor.“

• ok, ok:

Aharonov Bohm theory paper is well known, but the electric Aharonov-Bohm effect has never been experimental verified

The 1998 paper I referenced shows that it has.

The initial theoretical proposal for this effect suggested an experiment where charges pass through conducting cylinders along two paths, which shield the particles from external electric fields in the regions where they travel, but still allow a varying potential to be applied by charging the cylinders. This proved difficult to realize, however. Instead, a different experiment was proposed involving a ring geometry interrupted by tunnel barriers, with a bias voltage V relating the potentials of the two halves of the ring. This situation results in an Aharonov–Bohm phase shift as above, and was observed experimentally in 1998, albeit in a setup where the charges do traverse the electric field generated by the bias voltage.[27]

So some interpretation is needed, but as I say the paper is much cited and I could not find anyone disagreeing that indeed this showed electric AB effect in action.

The only people who would quarrel with the AB effect are those who do not like QM - but there is so much evidence that it would be surprising if other effects predicted by the same formalism are not also found.

• My guess regarding all this is that the paper came into Rossi's hands and that he then added sections 5 and 6 to make it sound more ECat-ish. The original author of sections 1-4 is a mystery and may not be in a position to object to Rossi's additions or claim of sole authorship.

That is exactly my worry, that Rossi has kidnapped the author and is holding him in his Miami Beach dungeon, feeding him cockroaches and forcing him to write more papers. Has anyone heard from Gullström lately? Poor guy.

• interested observer wrote:

It was utterly brilliant because it completely eliminated anyone with any capability of critical thinking leaving only exactly the people Rossi depends upon for his “business”.

JR wrote:

The Nigerian scammer technique. See:

Why Do Nigerian Scammers Say They are From Nigeria?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u…ay-they-are-from-nigeria/

Although I have not a great opinion of IH people, I think that they do not deserve such epithet i.e "incapable of any critical thinking"

• Official Post

I think you did not get the whole context, Walter Pegeto, the coment of interested observer was referred to a previous comment of we_cat_global in which he was refering to the SK demo (specially to the puppet show that preceded it), implying that the SK demo was the moment in which il dottore separated "the wheat from the chaff" in terms of gullible enough audience. I have previously commented that my interest in the whole e-cat affaire decreased greatly during the lawsuit against IH, and was definitively bloody murdered by the SK demo fiasco. By then, IH had long not been in the picture for il dottore.

• Official Post

I thought he was referring to the $11M paid by IH to Rossi as an example of a "Nigerian scam", because, as far as I know, nobody else has given money to Rossi so far.

No, he was refering to the idea that you have to be extremely gullible to keep believing the statements of il dottore, specially after the SK demo fiasco.

The Nigerian scam parallel was brought up by JedRothwell , IMHO with a very appropiate reference to an article to reinforce the point, posted by Microsoft, in which they explain that the rather obvious nature of Nigerian Scams is indeed on purpose, because it reduces greatly the false positives. You have to be a very special kind of dumb if you fall prey of a Nigerian email scam, and the scammers know it, so they craft their e-mails in a specific way to weed out a priori people that is smart enough to see through the obvious scam. I have to admit that I laughed so loud when I read the Microsoft Article that I startled my wife and had to explain her the whole thing.

The laughter arose out of the realization that a fraction of mankind, I hope small enough, is actually so dumb that it can fall prey of such an obvious scam, and that the scammers even use that knowledge in their favor, to let the potential scamee tag themselves.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.