Mizuno reports increased excess heat

• Does he place the mesh on a hard surface when he is doing the rubbing? This may be a dumb question, but this isn't specified.

• I'd also like to add that unless we have details on the area of the mesh that is actually full coated with the palladium particles, the weight reduction of the palladium rod because in adequate.

It is not the weight reduction of the palladium rod. It is the weight increase in the mesh. That is far easier to measure, because the mesh only weighs 18 g. How do you know this information is inadequate? How do you know we must have details on the area of the mesh? Mizuno has been doing this for a few years now. What he knows, and what he described in the paper, is adequate for him to repeat the experiment successfully. It was adequate for one other person to replicate.

Granted, it would interesting to have details on the area of the mesh that are actually coated. No doubt researchers will have to address that issue to make progress. But we do not have that information now, yet the experiment seems to be both repeatable and replicable. So I think you are inventing reasons why it will not work, and making demands without knowing what you are talking about. You are claiming it is inadequate with no basis for that claim.

Anyway, if you really want a detailed description of the surface, I suggest you wire transfer Mizuno $20,000 so he can repair the SEM that was broken in the earthquake. If you are not willing to do that, I suggest you make the best of the information we have. Mizuno and I doing the best we can with limited resources and antiquated equipment. I don't appreciate people telling us we should have hundreds of thousands of dollars more equipment. Or millions of dollars more. We know that. We don't need you to tell us that. Unless you happen to have a barrel of money you can spare, or leprechaun gold you can cash in, stop making impossible suggestions. It is useless.

• Does he place the mesh on a hard surface when he is doing the rubbing? This may be a dumb question, but this isn't specified.

That's not a dumb question. It is the sort of question I have badgering him with for years. Except, in Japanese. I think the answer is he does it on a table. There are not many free spaces in the lab. The tables are none too clean, but I expect he cleans off the surface as best he can. He has some sort of paper towels that he lays out on the table before working with cells. It is a blue box of laboratory grade towels that I have seen in U.S. labs as well. I don't recall the name. Some kind of sterile, high tech stuff that does not produce lint, similar to what the nurse puts under you before they do minor surgery.

As I said, it is important to wear gloves. Lab supply houses sell them. I prefer the plastic kind. Do not get oil from your skin on any cold fusion reactant or reactor! Or dandruff. Or organic anything. It is death to the experiment. I'd go with a face mask.

• Jed,

I lost my password and I just managed to get back on the forum today. But you're hostility makes me want to leave. If you think that I went over the line, that's fine. I don't mind you telling me that. But the whole attitude you project when you assert that I should send 20,000 dollars is uncalled for. I wasn't even suggesting he use an SEM or an extremely expensive piece of equipment. Bob Greenyer of the MFMP makes use of a USB microscope that costs a couple hundred dollars and discovers fascinating anomalies and track marks of strange radiation. If Mizuno was in need of one, I'm sure that this forum could collective scrounge up the cash. I totally understand that you are frustrated about the fact he has made such an amazing discovery but is working by himself (no help other than yourself remotely), in a structurally damaged and potentially unsafe building, and without the funding needed to not only buy optimal equipment but to even have some air conditioning. But please realize we would all like for this to be replicated far and wide.

• But you're hostility makes me want to leave

I think its burnishing rather than hostility.

You might look into burnishing

its a hand gilding technique from ages past... even older than gilding with gold leaf.

my view is that the Pd on Ni rubbing is in fact also work hardening...

not just leaving a thin layer of Pd

so Director.. if you are going to replicate

please be tough,.. burnish that Nickel.. hard

just as Jed has burnished you:)

And may God bless your burnishing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnishing_(metal)"

The plastic deformation associated with burnishing will harden the surface and generate compressive residual stresses.

Although these properties are usually advantageous, excessive burnishing leads to sub-surface cracks which cause spalling,

a phenomenon where the upper layer of a surface flakes off of the bulk material

• That's not a dumb question. It is the sort of question I have badgering him with for years. Except, in Japanese. I think the answer is he does it on a table. There are not many free spaces in the lab. The tables are none too clean, but I expect he cleans off the surface as best he can. He has some sort of paper towels that he lays out on the table before working with cells. It is a blue box of laboratory grade towels that I have seen in U.S. labs as well. I don't recall the name. Some kind of sterile, high tech stuff that does not produce lint, similar to what the nurse puts under you before they do minor surgery.

As I said, it is important to wear gloves. Lab supply houses sell them. I prefer the plastic kind. Do not get oil from your skin on any cold fusion reactant or reactor! Or dandruff. Or organic anything. It is death to the experiment. I'd go with a face mask.

Thank you very much for the answer! Perhaps he uses a lint free type of paper towel similar to the ones offered on the following website.

https://www.berkshire.com/shop/lint-free-paper-towels.html

• is as simple as Japanese knife sharpening

its different from sharpening

the rubbing is in fact burnishing

burnishing causes workhardening - sharpening does not

no water, no oil, lint and dandruff free.

no need of white socks

I think Celani may have similar precautions when

twisting his wires

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I lost my password and I just managed to get back on the forum today.

Welcome back!

But you're hostility makes me want to leave.

Your hostility -- ever the pedant. You're leaving so soon? Sayonara! Don't let the door hit you on the bum, as Martin Fleischmann used to say.

But the whole attitude you project when you assert that I should send 20,000 dollars is uncalled for.

I wasn't asserting. I was joking. HOWEVER, if you happen to have 20 grand burning a hole in your pocket, and you have nothing better to do with it, by all means wire transfer it! We'd love to have your money. We will spend it faster than anyone else. Edison's venture capitalist backers once sent their accountant to find out why he had spent much more than planned, buying all kinds of instruments and materials that seemed to have nothing to do with the R&D. The accountant walked in and Edison said, "It is about time you came. I hope you brought a lot more money!"

I wasn't even suggesting he use an SEM or an extremely expensive piece of equipment.

What else? This is the 21st century.

• THH, I appreciate your critical review of the experimental data which is all good but I am a bit baffled by real scientists with their much ado about nothing when the entire issue of air mass flow can be solved with a $20 engine part which measures mass flow of air with less than 2% uncertainty. The engineers that designed the mass flow meter can deal with Reynold's numbers and laminar flow issues, while all we need is the pulse output proportional to the flow. Also triple point calibrated NTC thermistors can measure temperature with 10mK accuracy so that should remove all reasonable uncertainty about the results here.

• Official Post

About replicating Mizuno, is it a good strategy to ask Mizuno to manufacture himself (why not to subsidize him, ask him sample for money) some NiPd foam, with his tools and products, and test them is a compatible reactor with a matching calorimeter (very similar as explained in the paper, to have the same temperature/pressure/dissipation behavior) ?

I'm not in research, but quite often in bug-research. The first step is to reproduce the anomaly with maybe absurdly similar conditions (not easy, sometime the key conditions are hard to guess because they often assume a bug theory that if you know it would lead to an "Eureka I'm so stupid moment", and a 5 minutes correction).

You try hard to reproduce even the most stupid condition, until it works at least a little.

Then only you change one parameter at a time, first the "not important" one (that often are very important in fact, or else you would have understood the problem since long). And when it works, you can add instrumentation, hoping you don't break the replication with the probes.

I imagine it looks funny for you, but when you have "voodoo bugs", you have to be really scientific... it is more biology than computer science.

It seems that here, with Ecalox, Cydonia, but also out in Google, IH, there are people with good calorimeters, good cells, thay may try to reproduce Mizuno with his sample?

Is there risk to break the replication with transportation.

• Official Post

About the preprint, there is an interesting par about testing at 3kW, above the calorimeter 1kW capacity.

What I see interesting despite the weakness of that "home heater calorimetry" method is that it can detect huge mistakes in the calorimetry... I remember of the Doral or Lugano questions, that may have been easily fixed with plain eye or short sleeves calorimetry.

• as I understand it Francesco CELANI uses Teflon coated wire

Thanks Alan I didn't know about the PTFE .. His alloy Cu55Ni44Mn1 appears to be supplemented at the knots with trace additions of Fe,Sr, K and Mn.

The minor elements appear to support the excess heat production.

The presence of other elements apart from Nickel in Ni200 may also be necessary.

So not just any nickel should be used,

And in saying that not just any manufacturer.

I guess 99.95% pure Pd, rather than any Pd also

I wonder what a 25 gram rod of Pd...costs nowadays ?

$1000, $1500.?

ask Mizuno to manufacture himself (why not to subsidize him, ask him sample for money) some NiPd foam

If I was going to spend $10,000 or more on the experiment replication setup I'd try to control as many variables as possible

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.