Mizuno reports increased excess heat

• Official Post

Ah, but you don't believe them, do you? I gather because you think the airspeed varied. Isn't that your reason?

After re-reading everything, that is my impression also. Hopefully I am wrong about that. Insinuating something like that without any proof whatsoever, is not the style of the THH we all know, and respect.

Understandable you getting pissed off. Hopefully we can get back on track now, to something more in line with the peer review process.

• I think there is a ton of low hanging fruit here to optimize.

Mizuno is likely using something recycled from long ago.

The sheath heater is probably something like this.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/rs-pro/8606899/70729044/

Are you going to replicate?

Yes No.

I am sure that Mizuno is very busy in his orchard,

Jed has put collated stuff here... maybe there are some cherries ..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19-OOsvCpeviu9jhUsKMIzjkvNCdFVx2RyWRgIMoPRbc/edit

• I don't have the money, space, or resources to replicate, but I'm in contact with someone who may have the opportunity to replicate.

• Jed, morning,

i understood that Dr Mizuno used same principle as Takahashi to "load" D.

Some people here suggest that manual method of Pd depositing seems decisive.

Could you tell if Dr. Mizuno advises this method rather than sputtering because it offers greater excesses or just cheapest ?

I'm not sure that manual method remains cheapest...

Another point, could you give heating system references ?

DF

• Imagine the quickest dirtiest replication possible. One that shuns most measurements. One that religiously follows TM construction and operation.

In such a QDR the most expensive part might be the stainless steel reactor tube. How to reduce this cost?

The most expensive tool might be the pump.

Thoughts?

• Does your calculation take into account the twill weave?

• what alloy are the reactor parts made from

SUS 316

more info from the 2017 paper

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTpreprintob.pdf

"

two pieces of nickel mesh (99.9%, Ni 200 alloy, 180 mesh,

Inada Wire Mesh Co. Ltd.) the wire diameter is 0.055 mm, the total wire length is 896 m, and the surface area is

0.31 m2. Each mesh was 300 300 mm2 and composed of 0.15-mm-diameter wire; the opening size was 180 mesh,

and the total weight was 23 g

• From Mizuno's earlier paper.

"Introduce D2 or H2 gas at 100–700 Pa, and lower the temperature to room temperature to absorb the gas."

Apparently, hydrogen worked in the previous experiments. I'm hoping he will address the issue of using hydrogen in the current paper.

• So Reactor walls are 316 Stainless Steel.

"What's the difference between 304 and 316 stainless steel? The simple answer is304 contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel while 316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum. "

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=863

I would guess the sheath heater tube is a stainless alloy.

I note that the various common stainless alloys differ in surface character and toughness which may or may not impact COP. An avenue for experimentation for the future.

• Official Post

By the way, seeing the home heater by T Mizuno, for someone who could replicate high power/high COP,

does it seem crazy to loop with a heat-engine.

I remember that J-F Geneste of Airbus innovation (he is now elsewhere) proposed a thermoacoustic heat engine

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016131917A1/en

but the efficiency, even great was around 30% at what I remember was high temperature.

The interest may be that it would close the endless calorimetry debate once for all. This was the position of J-F Geneste, saying that no engineer would doubt anymore facing a looped engine working for weeks, in a reasonably open blackbox experiment (hand on the wires)

I remember Jacques Ruer did a great job to estimate the requirement if such an engine.

http://iscmns.org/CMNS/JCMNS-Vol21.pdf#page=18

https://drive.google.com/file/…FmvhmdURNOUx4emVHenc/view

The maximum tested power for the reactor seems to be 300->3000W above 300°C, and with a good heat engine, like Stirling or good thermoacoustic, it looks worth verifying if it is possible...

In fact from Jacques Ruer presentation, I think an Ericsson engine would be the best engineering (max 500°C because of valves, but much space for heat exchangers)...

Maybe it could be accessible to car engineers? I know some car engineer fan of Ericsson.

COP of 10 above 300°C seems inside the acceptable performance, for a reasonably efficient heat engine.

Do you agree?

• 1) Have the specifications for the heater been provided? By studying the heater the magnetic field can be modeled.

Nope. I don't even have a photo of it. He just said "sheath heater." Good question. I will ask.

2) Can you provide info about the electricity fed into the heating element? AC, DC, voltage, waveforms, harmonics?

When I was there, we used an ancient Variac for the control. A sheath heater doesn't care what kind of electricity you use.

Oh, wait! As Robert Bryant points out, the spreadsheet shows DC. Anyway, I will find out more about the heater. That would be good to know. I want to know what it is sheathed with. You have to avoid contamination during the bake-out.

• Official Post

nickec

A suggestion- i don't think if money is tight that you should get hung up on using any particular kind of stainless steel. the cheap way to build a modest-pressure/high vacuum system would be to use some stainless steel truck exhaust pipe- this is available in quite short pieces. Then get 2 flat plates of thick stainless to make the ends. Drill the corners and hold them together with 4 pieces of threaded rod running from end to end of the reactor. Cut gasket plates from sheet silicon rubber. If they are not too close to the heater they will surive just fine. I have built some good and inexpensive vacuum chambers that way., and with care run such systems as high as 8 bar - but that risk is for you to decide on.

To remove the air use a standard 2-stage roughing pump -probably $250 on ebay. Flush the system with hydrogen (while cold) and vacuum several times. Then add a little more hydrogen and (here's the tricky bit) you need to have a little coil of vape wire inside the reactor that you can heat to bright yellow. This will encourage any minute traces of oxygen left as gas to combine with the hydrogen and become water vapour. Vacuum and flush with dry hydrogen a couple more times and I think you will be anoxic. I suspect that a 1hp roughing pump will do everything you need. This is the one we use.

• A GoFundMe:

Mizuno R20 Replication.

This may not be a wise idea. I do not think a person should try to replicate this unless he is "skilled in the art." That would mean he probably does not need $900. He has all the instruments already available, and he knows how to use them. Mizuno's turbomolecular pump is a ULVAC model YTP-50M, now discontinued, so I don't know what it costs, but I think it is around $9,000. His power supply cost $16,000. A cheaper one will work, of course, but that is what lab grade equipment costs. You have to have ~$100,000 worth of miscellaneous stuff to do this experiment. More important, you have to know how to use that stuff. Which I do not!

"Skilled in the art" also means you know many things without being told, such as never, ever touch a reactant with your bare hands. Especially not palladium. The oil from your skin is likely to screw it up. It can be difficult to get rid of the oil, even with a bake-out. Even skilled scientists make mistakes like that, if they are not electrochemists or at least chemists familiar with materials. There was a famous failed replication in 1989 at Kamiokande cost gazillions of dollars and featured on NHK news. The researchers were shown holding the palladium foil in their fingers. Mizuno and others saw that and groaned.

This is much easier than any previous cold fusion experiment I know of. Assuming it is working, it is also much easier to replicate, and more reliable, and it produces more power. But "easier" does not mean "easy."

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.