Woodpecker, proof of concept

• Hi can

If I have you correctly, you now appear to be picturing a situation in which the radiation the geiger tube is seeing recently is from radioactive emitters attached to dust particles. These dust particles arrive in the neighbourhood of the tube by circuitous routes dominated by air currents. The ultimate source of the radioactivity is not known with certainty, but in the case of the radiation you saw yesterday it is unlikely to be associated with the woodpecker apparatus since it has been in a different room for several days. Any effects of the woodpecker itself would therefore be superimposed on this mystery source (probably radon).

Given what you now know, I wonder if you are now in a position to retrospectively rule anything out. For instance, can you now say that there does not appear to be any ionizing radiation arising directly from the woodpecker (i.e., radiation that travels in straight lines)? If so then I suppose this would leave open the possibility you have mentioned of some EVO-like entity that does not travel in straight lines like penetrating radiation but instead can drift around. Is there any way you can see to separate this sort of signal from a Radon-generated signal?

Final question -- one that I asked several days ago but maybe should be updated now -- do you think that the dustborne radiation signal you have now characterized so nicely fully accounts for the recurring fluctuations in background you were seeing last Fall?

• Bruce__H

I have never measured gamma emission directly from the Woodpecker-analogue or its components, but I previously found that the general area where testing was performed seemed to show a higher gamma radiation level, even taking into account that the Geiger counter itself was also showing (= had accumulated) an elevated signal.

I don't know how I could separate dust particles that are radioactive from radon/thoron progeny from those that could be radioactive from EVO/hydrogen clusters/etc. There's a speculative small possibility that the latter could easily go through materials and therefore that an air flow over a counter that is inside a large plastic case would still show a substantially unchanged signal, but the confirmation would be from gamma spectrometry.

In case of radon, convection currents or changes in seepage through the wall due to environmental temperature changes could possibly explain the previously observed daily periodic signal, or why opening the window (which I typically did during those tests which were kind of hazardous) often seemed to be followed by a slight decrease in Geiger counts. At that time I never observed values into the high-100, or 200-300 counts per minute, however.

Wyttenbach

The testing room is not in a basement, but in a room of the first floor (upstairs) of a detached house. After turning off the fans both the bag and the geiger counter eventually returned to the usual background level after the usual period of time.

Testing (and ongoing measurements) was previously performed in front of a thick load-bearing wall.