MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• Note that most of the heat is now opposite the nickel mesh and it is done without needing to extend the electrical wires to the heater inside the reactor where it is very hot.

The heater rod that I ordered has leads that are only good to 350 deg C. If I place the rod in the center of the reactor opposite the nickel mesh, I would have to design an extension out of ceramic or something like that.

Then I will have to seal the ceramic from vacuum leaks. A lot of problems were solved by Mizuno by his 2 meter heater design. I am assuming that the heater design he uses is easily sealed on the end cap to prevent leaks in the vacuum system.

Does anyone know what kind of connectors he uses and are shown in the picture. I would like to know both the heater connector and the vacuum lead connector. It would be nice to have a reactor that was free of the vacuum and only needed the heater to get it started. I would like to see how easily it restarts after having been run.

• Do we really want to focus all the heat in the centre of the reactor? If the fusion reaction is in response to THz infra red stimulation as the evidence suggests, surely a uniform IR irradiation along the length of the reactor mesh region would be more effective? I'm more in favor of the 2m heater having just one bend to fit a 1m long reactor completely lined with Ni/Pd mesh,

This is what would be nice to find out from Mizuno.

• we shouln't care about heating type, guys, or its length. the main thing is not to exceed 3W / cm2 to make FIR.

By surrounding a simple, short resistifive wire by a big metal tube would do the same thing.

If you are correct, the simplest solution and one worth trying is a thermowell down the center axis of the cell, with a cartridge heater inserted from the outside. This avoids the potential leakage problems of power pass-thru fittings. However, the IR emission of the heater is thought to be an important part of the reaction process, so surface area of the folded sheath heater may be essential for a successful replication. Heat conduction from the thermowell tube into the end cap also complicates the calorimetry and internal heat distribution.

AlanG

• Official Post

I am assuming that the heater design he uses is easily sealed on the end cap to prevent leaks in the vacuum system.

I suspect that the end cap is outside the reactor and only the body is inside. The heater and the vacuum flange would need a leak-proofed pass-through.

The heater rod that I ordered has leads that are only good to 350 deg C.

The insulation is normally the problem, the wires should be better than that. Furnace builders use these little ceramic beads (fishspine beads) to create continuously insulated lead-ins in very hot places.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-…SPINE-No-52-/301046903964

• Official Post

This might sound OT, but in the end I think is not, so bear with me.

I have been doing some digging for the past few days, specifically, I begun to look for research that supports the idea that cavitation can cause nuclear reactions. This all stems from my recent interest (turned quasi obsession) with the exotic transmutation results reported by Ohmasa with his vibratory water bath. The thing is, when you "Google Scholar" it, you find a range of nuclear oddities have been found when looked for in the middle of cavitation rich experimental or observational environments, mostly when water is present. The other thing is, no one normally looks for these anomalies, and those who do, focus on the idea that is the mechanical force of the bubble collapse that creates somehow conditions for "breaking the Coulomb barrier" and fuse nuclei together. Hence, the ones that propose this, are always looking for neutrons and radiation, and celebrate every bit found as support for their idea. The ones that dismiss the idea from the outset, or the ones that looked at it and found weak support, specially due to the lack of neutrons or radiation, easily brush it off as Bullshit.

Then you compare that obsesive and scantly succesful focus on the mechanical force for smashing nuclei together trough cavitation, with what is written by this gentle Japanese octogenary, Dr. Ohmasa, who candidly states in his patent application that he can transmute calcium, magnesium, Cesium and Copper salt solutions in his low frequency vibratory apparatus, which has a reciprocating motor of 50 Watts if I recall correctly, and creates abundant cavitation and vortexes with the array of stainless steel fins perpendicular to the surface of the water (and works better when the solutions are deuterated and the fins are palladium/platinum coated). He wonders in his patent how this can happen without the emission of radiation and without heating the aqueous solution more than a couple of tenths of a Celsius degree, but instead of worrying about this, he realizes is a great thing, and very practical.

This had me thinking. I know most of who come here, me included, don't like the more "Out there" explanations for LENR, meaning the ideas that Axil and Director constantly rant about (EVOs, electron clusters, Negative resistance, to put some names on it). However, after giving those exotic ideas a chance, mostly after the experiments of Kenneth Shoulders and others in his trail, included the more elaborate from a theoretical POV as Lutz Jaitner, it makes perfect sense that no radiation or energy release happens under these conditions because the mechanical force applied (broadly including heat as one form of mechanical force) has nothing to do with the nuclear phenomena, but creates an environment where water (or any solid materials in pressence of electron "donors") is affected in a way that EVOs can form and persist, and those EVOs are what, as was experimentally reported by Shoulders and has been experimentally confirmed by others, in turn can affect the matter in forms we didn't know that could happen, no one had ever predicted, and thus require a completely new focus. So, and here is where I wanted to connect with the Mizuno experiment, if we begin to hypothetize that the underlying phenomena to LENR is more electromagnetic than classic nuclear, then we have to be very accurate and carefull in the replication of an already succesfull experiment, and this has been the reason behind my concern for knowing exactly what heater was used by Mizuno, because it could be very the case that the IR radiation and magnetic field of this heater in particular (specially after knowing that putting it inside the reactor instead of outside was the main difference that boosted the previous weaker effect) what could be triggering whatever causes the LENR in the end.

I know this post will be met with more than skepticism, and probably you'll think "Curbina finally lost his marbles", but I could not mean more what I am saying here.

• Everyman’s Turbomolecular Pump 

What can you do with a very good vacuum pump? You can build an electron microscope, x-ray tubes, particle accelerators, thin films, and it can keep your coffee warm. Of course getting your hands on a good vacuum pump involves expert-level scrounging or a lot of money, leading [DeepSOIC] and [Keegan] to a great entry for this year’s Hackaday Prize. It’s the Everyman’s Turbomolecular Pump, a pump based on one of [Nikola Tesla]’s patents. It sucks, and that’s a good thing.

The usual way of sucking the atmosphere out of electron microscopes and vacuum tubes begins with a piston or diaphragm pump. This gets most of the atmosphere out, but there’s still a little bit left. To get the pressure down even lower, an oil diffusion pump (messy, but somewhat cheap) or a turbomolecular pump (clean, awesome, and expensive) is used to suck the last few molecules of atmosphere out.

The turbomolecular pump [DeepSOIC] and [Keegan] are building use multiple spinning discs just like [Tesla]’s 1909 patent. The problem, it seems, is finding a material that can be made into a disc and can survive tens of thousand of rotations per minute. It’s a very, very difficult build, and a mistake in fabricating any of the parts will result in a spectacular rapid disassembly of this turbomolecular pump. The reward, though, would be great. A cheap turbomolecular pump would be a very useful device in any hackerspace, fab lab, or workshop garage.

I have been doing some digging for the past few days, specifically, I begun to look for research that supports the idea that cavitation can cause nuclear reactions.

This is OT but you should look up the Nanospire people. I have "deprecated" them on forums before and my opinion has not been changed by their 7 year lack of producing anything relative to LENR. Nonetheless, that is their area so check with them.

• Ultrasound treatment is a fascinating process. When nickel particles are exposed to ultrasound in a bath of something like hexane, the crust of oxide can be removed leaving behind a very catalytic surface. However, if exposed to oxygen, this newly cleaned surface can become rapidly oxidized. I do think that once the basic Mizuno technique is successfully replicated a half dozen times, experimenting with ultrasound treatment of the mesh would be a logical path to follow. Interestingly, you can use ultrasound to embed smaller particles into larger particles. I really wonder what would happen if you put the mesh into an ultrasound bath with properly sized palladium particles? My guess is if you could get the frequency, bubble size, and particle size just right the nickel could be peppered with palladium very thoroughly.

• Official Post

I'm reluctant to do that nickec - there are two reasons - one is trivial -if it doesn't work I don't want to get the blame. The other is more fundamental. Burnishing knocks oxides off the surface of the nickel for sure- that may be a factor for success. Exposed nickel re-oxidises very rapidly and I think that it should go straight into the reactor to minimise the problem.

• Last call for Sakaguchi flexible sheath heaters as specified by Mizuno. I'll be placing the order tomorrow (18 July) at around 20:00 UTC. Cost plus shipping and customs fees comes to $120 each for US delivery. Contact me thru PM here or alan at magicsound dot us

AlanG

• Official Post

A quadrupole mass spectrometer is a mass analyzer - particularly a gas mass analyzer, able to detect infinitely small amounts of gas and work out what they are- helium, deuterium, etc etc. It requires a very high vacuum environment - possibly as low as 10-8 or 10-9 torr. This one comes with all the required vacuum equipment, roughing pump, turbo pump and so on and hopefully just needs re-calibrating. You hook it up to the reactor, to check for helium production from deuterium - and other things too, for example to check how clean the inside of the reactor really is. .

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.