MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• When I prepare the equipment should I do it in a glove box? Must the glove box be filled with inert gas?

for the equipment/ tubes,....no, but I use rubber gloves to avoid finger prints. (clean with Acetone and cotton cloth, let air dry) just vacuum for a few days after assembly and after leaks are out. - Hint: with conflats, it seems best to tighten wait for some time (day??) and then retighten. They use copper gaskets and knife edges so they some time take a while for the copper to "flow". So the second tightening seems to help.

• Official Post

@Desireless : - On the topic of using an additional 'Inconel' sheath for the heater, the Mizuno type heaters are already sheathed in cupro-nickel alloy, which is pretty much what Inconel is. I can think of no reason to add an extra sheath except as a fixed and vacuum sealed thermo-well (A hot pocket) which is part of the reactor assembly. This would enable insertion and removal of the heater without disturbing the reactor vacuum, but there are IMHO few compelling reasons for doing so.

can. 304S 'free-turning' mild steel contains sulphur, phosphorus, and traces of lead. It's not much used however, except for making complex parts like gears.

• Official Post

Alan Smith I like when you talk steel. I came from town which had brotherd/sistered Sheffield.

And steel grade will be different between batches yet along manufacturers.

I am sceptical about Mizuno replication cause a think the reactor wall size and content can be a factor.

Everything Japanese do is very precise. It is a fine art. And it scares me. You can't build a business if you need.a dynasty of nickel mesh rubbers.

Jed and Mizuno should help the community by supplying all the parts.

All these stories about passing around 'good/lucky' platinum rods which work. It is not engineering it is a witch craft at best.

• Official Post

Jed is right about the Ni prep. Use a glove box, hood or something like that with negative pressure exhausting away from you.

Or maybe make one of these?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

I have some info. on the Japanese supplier's mesh. I have some samples but they are already promised to various people. One will be tested and compared to a mesh from China. Attached is the inspection form from the company that manufactured the mesh, Sakakura Kanaami Inc. Their web site is here:

https://sakakura-swn.co.jp/company

Hi Jed. Is your 'China' from amongst those I obtained? If not I would be very happy to send you a piece to compare.

• can. 304S 'free-turning' mild steel contains sulphur, phosphorus, and traces of lead. It's not much used however, except for making complex parts like gears.

I asked because in the past Francesco Celani had problems with stainless steel and sulfur contamination and at some point he switched to glass tubes also to mitigate this issue.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/c…/ACS-2010-Abstracts.shtml

[...] Several deleterious problems arose because S emission from the SS wall: S poisoned the catalytic proprieties of nanocoated wire. Now is under test a new SS reactor with internal walls covered by a further Cu (3N) tube. In principle, such improved new reactor can operate up to: 800° C, 50 bar. We will report the latest experimental results.

https://www.ilperiodico.it/pdf/fusione_fredda.pdf

The maximum internal temperature reached by the SS reactor wall is 110◦C, avoiding the sulphur degassing problem from the wall,as pointed out by Prof.Tatsumi Hioki (Toyota Research Centre, Aichi-Japan) since 2007 at ICCF13 [9]

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/CelaniFexperiment.pdf

The first wall of the pressurised reactor, at high temperatures, is made by shape modified (Vetreria Scientifica Spaziani-Italy) borosilicate glasstube (Schott DURAN-Germany), to avoid problems due to sulphur leakages of usual SS (even type 304 or 316N). The sulphur has deleterious effects on catalytic proprieties of almost any kind of materials.

All the component in SS are kept at low temperatures (<150°C), by thermal contact to room temperatures, to reduce Sulphur “leakages”: drawbacks are poor performances (70-75%) of energy recover of the calorimeter.

Paper from Hioki et al:

Hioki, T., et al., Effects of Self-poisoning of Pd on the Deuterium Permeation Rate and Surface Elemental Analysis for Nuclear Transmutation. J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 6: p. 64-76.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/B…JPjcondensede.pdf#page=73

• As far as I am aware of, all stainless steel grades contain at least limited amounts of sulfur (~0.03%). Some grades specifically contain more sulfur (up to 0.3%) to improve machinability as Alan Smith mentioned above. The question is whether even limited amounts of it outgassing can be a problem under in a mild-temperature, low-pressure hydrogen environment; according to Celani it can be. I'm assuming that with vacuum-grade steel parts this will not be a significant problem, but as some appear to be using more affordable sources for their stainless steel enclosures, this might have to be considered.

In this thread on LENR-Forum from several years ago the issue was mentioned:

"Poisoning" Ni reactive sites-- replicators note

According to user ogfusionist in that thread, silver getters could be used to mitigates such issues, but perhaps there are better choices or methods?

• I am welding everything from AISI 316.

Regarding sheath heater I really thought it would be plausible to make it possible to easily remove the heater. For this reason I asked about additional SS tube in which it will be inserted.

Overheating issue is resolved by usage of special liquid for heat transmission. Moreover when the heater is inside low pressure gas heat transmission is poor. So even if it is in the air it could be better than in a low pressure hydrogen. But it is something to verify from tables as Hydrogen is good heat conductor.

The sheath heater itself is made of SS or similar tube. So personally I think that adding another tube couldn't make a difference. This is aspect to verify. Technically it will just make the steel layer more thick. Who knows. Maybe electrons are involved in some way.

I am super excited about this experiment. Maybe in week or so I will be preparing Ni mesh. Within 2 weeks there will be first run.

• Hi Jed. Is your 'China' from amongst those I obtained? If not I would be very happy to send you a piece to compare.

Bob Higgins is doing the comparison. I think he already has a sample made in China, from you or someone else. The samples I got were made in Japan in 2009, as I said.

By the way, the mesh is kept in rolls. The vendor sent me a photo of one. So to send them, I put them in a plastic bag, roll it up, and send it in a mailing tube.

• can , you are right. It contains slight traces of sulfur approx. 0,015% dependent on which standard you take. I have a more detailed datasheet available unfortunatley only in German. 1.4841_de.pdf and the correct designation is AISI 314

• If the heating element is proving difficult to source or prone to failure perhaps consider electric bar fire elements. These consist of a wire element wrapped around a ceramic tube and are available as spare parts quite cheaply. Think you can get 1kW versions about about 12" in length. They obviously tolerate high temperatures as they glow red/yellow hot in normal use.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.