MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• They both look good and likely will serve well though I have reservations about the glove ports. You could fashion covers for those openings. I also question whether access into the box serves any purpose. Perhaps I overlook some advantage.

• can

I strongly suspect that the Pd rod was used to sputter the mesh. It has tool markings on it. Then he decided to rub it on clean mesh.

Palladium being dear, conservation of material shows thrift. That's how I would do it. How about you, Can?

Is this a reasonable conjecture on my part? No disrespect intended. Your posts consistently enrich our understanding, Can.

• I strongly suspect that the Pd rod was used to sputter the mesh. It has tool markings on it. Then he decided to rub it on clean mesh.

No, he never sputtered this particular mesh. He only used the two methods described in the paper, rubbing and electroless deposition.

If he had sputtered it, we would have said so in the paper. He did sputter with previous configurations, but you can see in the schematics and photos that was with Pd wire, not a rod.

• I strongly suspect that the Pd rod was used to sputter the mesh. It has tool markings on it. Then he decided to rub it on clean mesh.

Palladium being dear, conservation of material shows thrift. That's how I would do it. How about you, Can?

Is this a reasonable conjecture on my part? No disrespect intended. Your posts consistently enrich our understanding, Can.

I thought that perhaps the relatively deep indentations on the rod might make the burnishing process harsher and deposit more material on the mesh.

Personally I would try doing the burnishing process on a large hard cylinder instead of a flat wooden plane, so that more pressure could be applied on the mesh and perhaps some of the curvature as seen in the report photos be restored, as the "as-received" meshes can be floppy and not expand as nicely along the reactor tube walls. Perhaps with this sort of arrangement the process could be partially automated somehow.

If it was for me I'd use a Pd-Pt alloy as used in ordinary catalytic converters, but then others would complain that would not really be a replication. Pt should be slightly softer than Pd but it's not clear to me if alloying both together would yield a softer material.

As a side note, here's a related old post on Vortex-l from Jed Rothwell on "Type-A" palladium:

https://www.mail-archive.com/v…@eskimo.com/msg34410.html

• Don’t want to splash out a few grand on a fancy vacuum pump?

Don’t mind splashing a bit of mercury round your garage instead?

...Before the turbomolecular pump, there was the Sprengel pump:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yes, he manages to contaminate his experiment with mercury, but I’m fairly sure that’s just an issue with his plumbing.

• My mistakes Jed. Thank you for clarifying these things. Electroless deposition not sputtering.

The rod seems to have both concentric notching and a nodule almost drip-like. Any idea how it came be that way?

I agree with your observation. It appears that on the right end of the rod, there might have been wire wrapped around it. There is a Pd rod mentioned on page 5 of the 2107 paper that states:

There is a Pd rod to supply high voltage current under the heater, and a thin wire is wound around it.Could this rod used in the 2017 experiment be the same rod that is now being used to burnish the nickel mesh?

This might imply that the rod has been preprocessed in some ways. Annealed?

• Official Post

As a side note, here's a related old post on Vortex-l from Jed Rothwell on "Type-A" palladium:

https://www.mail-archive.com/v…@eskimo.com/msg34410.html

Hopefully everyone reads this. Fascinating topic. Just a few years ago, Biberian remembered he had an old sample of this JM Pd Fleishmann had given him, and tested it. Showed transmutations. Reported it I believe, at ICCF21.

• I wonder if he rubs the tip on the mesh? My guess, yes.

I wonder if he rubs the length of the rod on the mesh? My guess, possibly.

Re annealing: I would guess, emphasis on guess, you are correct dartin.

Perhaps the funny little handle in the rod is actually where the screw attached the referenced high-current wire to the rod. It is the portion to the right of that that seems to be scarred by a wire winding upon it.

• There is a Pd rod mentioned on page 5 of the 2107 paper that states: "There is a Pd rod to supply high voltage current under the heater and a thin wire is wound around it."

Could this rod used in the 2017 experiment be the same rod that is now being used to burnish the nickel mesh?

I think it's a different rod, although the source material might be the same. In the same paper it's also mentioned:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTpreprintob.pdf

In Fig. 4, the electrode on the left-hand inside the reactor, which was for discharge, was a 50-mm-long, 3-mm-diameter palladium tube wound with 200 mm of 1-mm-diameter palladium wire (weight 2.82 g)

Here it refers about it as a 50mm tube however. A related diagram shows a rod:

In the previous 2019 paper there's a more detailed (although still blurry) photo, but it might be an even different rod as it's here quoted to be 250mm long.

It could be I'm getting confused by having skimmed the papers too quickly however.

• It could be I'm getting confused by having skimmed the papers too quickly however.

The fact that we cannot identify the exact place that it was used in the past is of less concern than the fact that the Pd rod being used is definitely seen at least one past battle and shows the resultant wounds and scars. (Wounds from being wound?)

Anybody that has tried to replicate LENR experiments knows that if the past predicts the future, the chances of success are slim. As a result, we are all looking for the reason that our replication might fail.

Pounding endlessly on the calorimetry hasn't show any signs of success (or should I say 'signs of failure'). I am convinced that there is at least one R20 unit working in Japan. That I will be able to reproduce that R20 device given the information that I have is doubtful, however. But questions remain as well such as how the heater was bent and subsequently positioned? The question now under discussion is "How was the Palladium Rod pre-treated?" Even if the "pre-treatment" was unintended and simply due to reuse of a valuable piece of metal left over from a previous trial.

• Remember as well that there were two previous cruciform experiments under the title of Excess Heat form Palladium Deposited on Nickel (J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci. 29 (2019) 1-12) where it is stated:

1. Summary of Old Results

1.1. Old Method

A reactor with a cruciform shape was first used in this project (Fig. 1). It weighs 50 kg. Later, a 20-kg versions of this reactor were used, as well as cylindrical reactors. All have palladium rods in the center.

In other words, we are dealing with a history of larger and smaller reactors all of whom contained palladium rods in the various configurations. Presumably the larger reactors had larger palladium rods and might be the source of the rod being used to burnish the nickel mesh in the R20. Cold Fusion is often a history of 'good' and 'bad' palladium. MFMP's Bob Greenyer is supposed to get some of us the Official Mizuno Mesh burnished with Official Mizuno Palladium. I have not gotten an update on this. Has anyone else heard anything?

• Official Post

AFAIK Bob did the survey in order to provide a number to JedRothwell , who in the end was going to put the request to Dr. Mizuno. Remember that the proposal was to pay US$400 plus shipping per unit, as a way to help Dr. Mizuno also.

• PALLADIUM NICKEL PLATING

Palladium is a precious metal that has long been used as an alternative to gold electroplating. When combined with nickel — a material known for its corrosion resistance — the resulting alloy resists stress and heat in many heavy-duty applications.

While palladium on its own is often viewed as an acceptable alternative to gold plating or platinum plating because of its lower cost and greater hardness of the deposit, palladium is not without its challenges. Perhaps the most prevalent issue is because palladium is more stressed than gold, it is more susceptible to cracking. Developing a palladium nickel alloy is an effective way to reduce the stress of the deposit, particularly in heavy-wear applications. The typical palladium nickel alloy consists of a palladium deposit in the range of 70 to 80 percent and around 20 to 30 percent nickel.

Might be an interesting option in the future.

I am looking into the option of Palladium only on nickel mesh. Obtaining a quote.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.