MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• Official Post

One of the things that replicators are going to have to get to grips with is Vacuum systems. I must confess that my experience has been limited to 'roughing pump' territory and I found this free book (which is around $150 on Amazon) really helpful.

http://dmf.unicatt.it/~gavioli…cience_and_Technology.pdf

Particularly useful perhaps is this section.

The Measurement of Low Pressures 257
    3.1.1 Overview 258
    3.1.2 Direct Reading Gauges 260
    3.1.3 Indirect Reading Gauges 265
    3.1.4 Calibration of Vacuum Gauges 286
    References 288
    3.2 Mass Analysis and Partial Pressure Measurements 290
    3.2.1 Overview and Applications 290
    3.2.2 Inlet Systems 300
    3.2.3 Ion Generation and Ion Sources 303
    3.2.4 Ion Separation Analyzers 308
    3.2.5 Detection of Ions 323
    References 326
    3.3 Practical Aspects of Vacuum System Mass Spectrometers 335
    3.3.1 Historical Insight 335
    3.3.2 Expected Gases in a Vacuum System 336
    3.3.3 The Ion Generation Process 340
    3.3.4 Techniques for Analysis 351
    3.3.5 Calibration of Vacuum System Mass Spectrometers 364

• “There can be only one”

(please forgive the Highlander quote)

Regarding the replication of Mizuno’s R20, I understand that Jed and Mizuno (both whom have my greatest respect) wish for this to be replicated. I do too. I feel it is appropriate to prove this technology to mankind.

As I understand the meaning of “replication” in this context, more information will need to be released before replicators can even start.

There are those who have stated that they are doing a replication; however, I question how they will do so. If they are willing to do something similar to R20, I encourage them to do so, and truly wish them the best, but a replication it won’t be.

The list of questions I have are here:

bit.ly/30ob3qa

I will update that page with any further information I receive, with hopes we, the CF community, get enough to do a real replication.

skip

• Official Post

I will update that page with any further information I receive, with hopes we, the CF community, get enough to do a real replication.

Hi skip.

You say 'Whereas a deep vacuum is required to degas the system, a turbomolecular vacuum pump has been recommended. A “roughing” vacuum pump to do the initial extraction would ease the turbo pump’s work." You need a roughing pump for more than that, TM pumps are not happy pumping any appreciable volume of air -they are happiest working from a few millibars down. Using them without a roughing pump shortens their life considerably.

• Official Post

Hi skip.

You say 'Whereas a deep vacuum is required to degas the system, a turbomolecular vacuum pump has been recommended. A “roughing” vacuum pump to do the initial extraction would ease the turbo pump’s work." You need a roughing pump for more than that, TM pumps are not happy pumping any appreciable volume of air -they are happiest working from a few millibars down. Using them without a roughing pump shortens their life considerably.

Indeed, it is a stage race to deep vacuum, we used to have a high vacuum pressure meter and we used the first stage vac pump to get it to 0 and then a second, digital vacuum meter was in range of thousands of a millibar and we started the deep vacuum pump only then.

• Hi All,

I've just joined but have been thinking about this situation for a while now.

1st off, as has been said, but no updates yet, that Pd bar looks like it has some fairly idiosyncratic history :- not exactly off-the-shelf, is it.

We need a run down on exactly what it is and where it has been. These experiments are notoriously tricky to replicate, and that bar, focussing on the fact that it is so crucial, isn't helping.

Jed Rothwell reckons that the notching is from the rubbing. Well I don't reckon that. The spacing is way off. What I see, judging by the 5mm diam. is 3 notches on the left with 2 different gaps of around 7mm. On the right are about 7 sections which are rounded, or barrel shaped, like the profile that is rolled onto heat exchanger tubes, but without the spiral. We are dealing with 180 mesh here, and any effect from the limited amount of rubbing it has done would surely be far finer than that, probably noticable only as a bit of polishing or wear on the edge opposite to that strange nodule, which looks suspiciously like a cleverly formed handle. I did wonder how he was gripping a 5 mm rod without using tools that would introduce the likelihood of wiped contamination.

Still on the subject of the totally vital Pd on Ni mesh : I might get a bit of grief from Jed here, ( if I haven't already from the first comment :) ), and this is only a thought. It probably would take him a fair bit of preparatory work, but as this is all about rubbing a bit of Ni mesh with about 2k currency units worth of Pd rod, would it not be possible for a couple of us to produce rubbed mesh, and for him to test it in his set up first. It would be much more efficient than everyone investing in turbo molecular kit and mass spec or rga. Then, if he gets similar results, we can get our meshes back and invest in the kit, knowing that all we need to do is get the details right and we are sorted. If he doesn't, we need a full on forensic examination of that rod ! Whereas, if people fail now, it will be called a case of bad replication or a one-off that can't, or likely will never, be replicated. If we take this suggested route, it surely offers cover both ways.

Finally, nice find and share by Alan Smith, it's in my SSD, thanks for that!

• the equations are incorrect. They should be:

Generation of Deuterium Gas

Mass D2O = 100 ml * 1.107 g/ml = 110.7 grams

Molar mass D2O = 20.0276 g/mole

Moles D2O = 110.7 g / 20.0276 g/mole =5.53 moles

One mole D2O is equivalent with a volume of 22.4 liter D2O vapour

5.53 Moles equal 5.53 x 22.4 = 123.87 liters of D2O vapour

D2O gas <=> 1 (D2 gas) + 0.5 (O2 gas)

1 mole gas <=> 1.5 mole gas

mole ratio = 1.5

The volume of the elemental gases is: Volume D2O gas x mole ratio = 123.87 liter x 1.5 = 185.8 liter or 123.9 liter D2 gas and 61.9 liter O2

gas are formed by electrolysis.

The average price of 100 ml heavy water 99% is about 120 USD, hence one liter of Deuterium gas (after electrolysis) for amateur fusioneer

use costs about 0.969 USD.

• How can we organize ourselves to produce and distribute Deuterium gas?

This would reduce costs and speed replications.

This cooperation could go further. If a member has the tools, skills, and supplies to make some part of the experiment, like the reactor body, then they make them, thereby further honing their skills in that arena, and we all support their efforts by paying for the materials and their skilled labor.

Bartering between members makes sense too.

• Official Post

I have not found a suitable heater to be used like in the original R20. Any ideas as to how I should proceed?

magicsound and Alan Smith are sourcing directly from the same company that made the one used by Mizuno, perhaps you can source from them closer to you?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.