MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• Report from Deneum:

"We have gone up to 300C and no excess heat has been detected as of now. Will be pumping out again at this temperature and inject a new, larger portion of Deuterium, ~30mbar or 3000Pa. Will leave it for the night and upon tomorrow results will put all records together and post a video report here."

What stage of testing are they in? They stated no excess heat... were they expecting it?

I.E., if they were simply in the "baking stage", they would not be expecting excess heat to my understanding.

So the comment about no excess heat found would indicate they were at a stage where it was expected.

Can they provide a testing procedure outline along with what stage they are in? That would assist us in the peanut gallery in understanding where they are at.

Thanks.

• There seem to be dozens of teams or individuals preparing replication. If replication turns out to be easy, one of them will be reporting success. If, on the other hand, it turns out to be very sensitive to parameters such as the brand of Palladium used, then it may be awhile before success is achieved. The Pd that Deneum used had Cyrillic lettering and the Estonian language uses Roman letters. Is the Deneum Pd from Russia?

Everyone so far has varied from the original. Is anyone here planning to do an exact duplicate including the calorimeter and the $400 set of Pd mesh from TM?

Should I wait for the official Mizuno mesh hand rubbed by himself?

Should I construct an identical calorimeter just in case it is part of what makes the R20 work?

Will there be any more information coming from TM?

Is he working on a replicate himself? Any chance we get to see a video of it being constructed like the video Deneum made?

• Official Post

There seem to be dozens of teams or individuals preparing replication. If replication turns out to be easy, one of them will be reporting success. If, on the other hand, it turns out to be very sensitive to parameters such as the brand of Palladium used, then it may be awhile before success is achieved. The Pd that Deneum used had Cyrillic lettering and the Estonian language uses Roman letters. Is the Deneum Pd from Russia?

Everyone so far has varied from the original. Is anyone here planning to do an exact duplicate including the calorimeter and the $400 set of Pd mesh from TM?

Should I wait for the official Mizuno mesh hand rubbed by himself?

Palladium was Russian.

Would you prepare Fugu yourself after reading wikipedia or let it to somebody who trained 10 years?

• Official Post

They did see an anomaly at the higher power setting, and say in the video "this leaves a little bit of hope". Message to us is that they are open to feedback from Mizuno/Rothwell. A similar message is captioned in the video.

They also wrote this comment under the video:

"Deneum focuses on working out its own hypotheses as well as on picking hypotheses made by other researchers, all these followed by an honest and efficient in-house experiment(s).
    If you have a strong hypothesis, but don't have a well-equipped lab with skilled experimenters - DENEUM might be the right place to get it verified quickly. To apply for verification just send us the details at [email protected] or via any social media."

• Looks like a very thorough replication, although with some thermocouple trouble-maybe only Mizuno's meshes work? Disappointing results. Maybe some internal oxidation of the stainless steel is required to form ultra dense deuterium as a precursor to fusion reactions. Could try adding some KFeO2 catalyst maybe. Lets see what happens next over longer timescales.

• They also said that the temp went up 30 deg C suddenly. Even though they replaced the thermocouple and got the same temp, it could be some weird issue with the TC moving or failing (or even things moving inside the reactor) I think this shows again the issues with relying solely on thermocouples.

• There are a few discrepancies in the Deneum report that should be mentioned: the heater hasn't been described and it's visibly not the same as the Mizuno spec. The video shows them making the feed-through joints with gas torches and what appears to be silver solder. I suppose that could be OK if it pumps down and holds vacuum well, but it would add other elements into the cell that were not in the Mizuno R20. And the temperature control by a large variac implies they are using AC heater power. Also, the Mizuno R20 paper specified 100-300 Pa for the D2 pressure, and made it quite clear that attempting to load the Ni mesh by using D2 at 6 kPa (60 millibar) or more should be avoided, or the cell will not work. According to the video, they added 30-50 mbar in the final test.

That said, It's a good first attempt, and their adding additional D2 pressure at the end is an understandable use of opportunity following the initial null result.

• Here is another difference. Notice the big difference in the color of the sheath heater referenced in the Mizuno Rothwell paper and a screenshot of the heater in the Deneum video. The sheath heater is a much darker color, making it a better blackbody radiator.

Below is a link to an experiment where someone measured the IR from a cube with different colors on different faces. The difference between shiny black and shiny silver was a factor of 3.7.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/ztpm7p3/revision/1

• I've been looking up emmisivity spectra of various heating element materials.

Definition of spectral emissivity: (https://www.shimadzu.com/an/ft…/letter13/emissivity.html)

"Emissivity" is defined by Japanese industrial standard JIS Z 8117 1) as "the ratio of the radiant emittance of a body to the radiant emittance of a black body at the same temperature as that body." "Spectral emissivity" is defined as "the result of expressing the emissivity as a function of the component wavelengths (wavenumbers or frequencies)."

Personally I suspect the 19-36 micron wavelengths are a good target...

You can find silicon carbide heating elements at various places.

Here is a cool paper about experimental and theoretical emissivity of silicon carbide (see sci-hub):

https://www.sciencedirect.com/…abs/pii/S0955221913005761

Curiously, aluminum oxide (a.k.a. alumina) is prominent in this chart (...Rossi). He wrapped hydrogen and nickel in an efficient THz emitter.

It would be nice if we had a better photograph of the Mizuno wire. How dark is it exactly? https://www.monotaro.com/p/7075/6017/

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.