MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• Official Post

You need to be lucky if spending anything under $5k IMO. The spec I have (and was seen working before collection) is elderly, and getting it back into top-line condition will take a little time. Fortunately we have a software wizard who is working on updates for the system, After some initial concerns at least it has responded to a bake out and some tender loving care. If you buy an old one, seeing it working is vital, because the filaments etc may be burnt out. I replaced the vacuum gauge with an ebay find, as it was flakey, but they can also be stripped and serviced, which I will do with the old one, as you need two- one for the mass spec and one for the reactor. A little practical engineering knowledge is vital I think. You also need to be sure you get one configured for low-mass, preferably a machine that has been used for helium leak detection or similar. All QMS systems are not identical.

• So finally I have everything tested. I will perform Mesh preparation this week and start the experiment.

Mesh will be analyzed prior and after preparation with SEM/EDX.

• Can you also please look into the material used for the outlet tube?

The outlet tube is still paper as far as I know. It goes from the rectangular outlet of the blower to a circular orifice 66 mm in diameter.

Notes on blower:

"A SanAce B 97 model blower 109 BM 12 GC 2-1 was chosen . . . A rubber O-ring was put between the blower and the box wall, and was fixed with an adhesive glue. This seal prevents air leaks and keeps the vibration of the blower from affecting the box."

Here is a photo.

• Thanks, but that photo looks like it shows wrapping foam wrapped around a clear tube of some sort.

wrapping foam

• Thanks, but that photo looks like it shows wrapping foam wrapped around a clear tube of some sort.

That is insulation. The tube under that is made of paper. Plastic can also be used. Additional text from my notes and an upcoming paper:

"The blower exit is rectangular, 58 × 38 mm. The wind velocity in a square outlet is uneven. It is better to measure it some distance from the fan, so a 200-mm long cover pipe cylinder made of paper (Fig. 1-4) was attached in front of the blower outlet. One end is rectangular to fit the blower, and the other end is circular, 66 mm in diameter. This cylinder can be made of paper or plastic. 2-mm-thick urethane insulation is wrapped around the outside of the cylinder."

(The photo above is Fig. 1-4.)

• Desireless, can, Paradigmnoia, Alan Smith, Alan Goldwater .... and, it seems, many others. All Mizuno replicators.

Is anyone keeping a list of M-replicators?

Will LF have a thread that is only for these M-replicators to report results?

• That is insulation. The tube under that is made of paper. Plastic can also be used. Additional text from my notes and an upcoming paper:

"The blower exit is rectangular, 58 × 38 mm. The wind velocity in a square outlet is uneven. It is better to measure it some distance from the fan, so a 200-mm long cover pipe cylinder made of paper (Fig. 1-4) was attached in front of the blower outlet. One end is rectangular to fit the blower, and the other end is circular, 66 mm in diameter. This cylinder can be made of paper or plastic. 2-mm-thick urethane insulation is wrapped around the outside of the cylinder."

(The photo above is Fig. 1-4.)

Is it a sheet of thick paper rolled and seams taped up, or a something more like a cardboard mailing tube?

Just wondering how it is kept consistent in cross section (after mating to the fan).

• Desireless, can, Paradigmnoia, Alan Smith, Alan Goldwater .... and, it seems, many others. All Mizuno replicators.

Is anyone keeping a list of M-replicators?

Will LF have a thread that is only for these M-replicators to report results?

I am only going to be replicating the calorimeter.

It may take a while to get it running since I will be far from home for most of the summer. I expect the acrylic box to be completed on Thursday, I have both types of fans used (Servo and San Ace) on the way, and found a pretty clean 12V regulated power supply to run them. An anemometer is also on the way, but not quite as nice a one as the CW-60.

Currently I am rounding up a selection of outlet tubes for outlet air calibration.

(See: Mizuno reports increased excess heat )

• The two ends have to be different sizes, and different shapes (rectangular to circular). That's the whole point of having the tube.

I understand that. There has to be some sort of transition.

Most paper is flimsy, and sealing/smoothing the inside seems awkward, so wondering how it was done. I mean, I am actually trying to replicate as best as possible.

• You need to be lucky if spending anything under $5k IMO. The spec I have (and was seen working before collection) is elderly, and getting it back into top-line condition will take a little time. Fortunately we have a software wizard who is working on updates for the system, After some initial concerns at least it has responded to a bake out and some tender loving care. If you buy an old one, seeing it working is vital, because the filaments etc may be burnt out. I replaced the vacuum gauge with an ebay find, as it was flakey, but they can also be stripped and serviced, which I will do with the old one, as you need two- one for the mass spec and one for the reactor. A little practical engineering knowledge is vital I think. You also need to be sure you get one configured for low-mass, preferably a machine that has been used for helium leak detection or similar. All QMS systems are not identical.

There is a local company: SRS that advertises a line of RGA QMAs starting at $3700 for a new unit.

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/rga.html.

I have not looked into all the details, but they may work for LENR needs. Pfeiffer Vacuum also makes what appears to be a nice unit, although it's approximately 2x as expensive.

Jeff

• I understand that. There has to be some sort of transition.

Most paper is flimsy, and sealing/smoothing the inside seems awkward, so wondering how it was done. I mean, I am actually trying to replicate as best as possible.

When building a flow calorimeter I machined 1/2" plexiglass to accept the square hole pattern of the fan on one side and a 2" PVC pipe on the other side. Plexiglass can be bonded to PVC with the plumber's cement sold at hardware stores.

Jeff

• When building a flow calorimeter I machined 1/2" plexiglass to accept the square hole pattern of the fan on one side and a 2" PVC pipe on the other side. Plexiglass can be bonded to PVC with the plumber's cement sold at hardware stores.

Jeff

I tested heating and shaping one end of a 75 mm white PVC pipe today.

It gets burn marks very easily, is quite malleable when hot, and holds heat surprisingly well (stays hot a long time).

65 mm pipe in ABS or PVC seems to be unusual around here.

• There is a local company: SRS that advertises a line of RGA QMAs starting at $3700 for a new unit.

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/rga.html.

I have not looked into all the details, but they may work for LENR needs. Pfeiffer Vacuum also makes what appears to be a nice unit, although it's approximately 2x as expensive.

Jeff

Nice find Jeff . It look similar to the MKS e-Vision2 and about $1k cheaper.

AlanG

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.