MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• If I might be so bold, why not show a calibration Delta T instead of a calculated one?

The calibration Delta T temperature is shown in other graphs. This particular graph was intended to show the temperature contrasts.

This is Slide 9, here:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTincreasedea.pdf

It is similar to the Slide 7, except that Slide 7 has actual calibration data for 50 W. I do not have any calibration for 216 W input. I probably have 200, 250, 300 and so on, but not 216 on the nose. So I have to extrapolate.

• Is that a new version? I see it had the bubble foil installed photo I have been dreaming of.

Anyways, on Slide 13, Calorimetry, I think the “Blower A” column is actually the voltage drop of the 3 ohm sense resistor, so current is actually 1/3 of the values in that column.

• Anyways, on Slide 13, Calorimetry, I think the “Blower A” column is actually the voltage drop of the 3 ohm sense resistor, so current is actually 1/3 of the values in that column.

Yup.

As noted, the spreadsheet has many more columns. This is just a sample made to fit the slide. The columns on the left show data as recorded, without any adjustment.

• Yup.

As noted, the spreadsheet has many more columns. This is just a sample made to fit the slide. The columns on the left show data as recorded, without any adjustment.

Can you confirm if the Saito blower voltage is the voltage directly to the blower, or if there is a sense resistor in series included in the 10.57 V (and whatever resistance that resistor is, if any)? The 10.57 V and 0.48 A is consistent with a 3 ohm sense resistor in series, at least as far as my San Ace B97 blower measurements go. Mizuno had 10.42 V to the blower including the 3 ohm sense resistor, so the final blower voltage was lower, based on the equations we went through a couple months ago. I don’t think it affects the experiments much, as long as things are consistent, but it means that I should put my fan voltage back to where it was to do a more correct calorimeter replication.

• I reset the fan and series 3 ohm resistor total voltage to 10.45, which puts the blower fan at 9.05 V, and exactly 1.40 V for the resistor drop.

The taped on (still) vane anemometer reports 6.30 m/s compared to 7.06 previously. That probably will be still 2 m/s high compared to the hot wire results if I took the vane off again. The hot wire anemometer can’t test the outlet properly with the vane blocking up the opening, which is now three wedges. I can stick another 65 mm ID tube onto the vane to fix that up. I also don’t think I should spin that vane for countless hours (unless it has magnetic bearings), but if I burn out the bearings working out why it seems to read high maybe that is covered by warranty...

Also I variably blocked the air outlet to check the fan current draw under adverse conditions and it actually drops. Almost half the normal current consumption when the air outlet is blocked completely. Voltage remains the same.

• Official Post

Almost half the normal current consumption when the air outlet is blocked completely.

That is no surprise. I remember long discussion with a plant fitter in years gone by about speed variations of the industrial version of a turbo vacuum pump, he couldn't understand why it would speed up when there was a good vacuum and drop when there wasn't - he was sure there was something wrong with it. I tried explaining that if the turbo-fans aren't moving much air then they are doing little work, when they are pumping air there's more load. He could never see it.

• That is no surprise. I remember long discussion with a plant fitter in years gone by about speed variations of the industrial version of a turbo vacuum pump, he couldn't understand why it would speed up when there was a good vacuum and drop when there wasn't - he was sure there was something wrong with it. I tried explaining that if the turbo-fans aren't moving much air then they are doing little work, when they are pumping air there's more load. He could never see it.

I also sort of found this out already when doing the voltage steps with the fan outlet unhindered a few months ago. At some higher voltage, the fan current plateau-ed as it seemed to reach the peak efficiency RPM of the fan.

• Everything is prepared for Mizuno replication, first run.

To ensure best condition of the mesh I did the palladium rubbing today. BUT rubbing process was not smooth at all. It took few hours.

Palladium was too hard. And annealing (multiple times with slow cooldown) was of zero help. Finally after long time I was able to deposit recommended mass.

On the other hand I am afraid that grinding step with a sandpapers was useless because palladium rod completely changed surface. I was carefull to cover mesh completely so likely original surface was somehow damaged.

So it was actually quite shiny after applying palladium. So if it will fail, I fear this is due to this problem. I was measuring weight of Pd rod to make sure it is going well.

Anyway I dont know how to resolve the problem for future.

Mesh is inserted in the reactor and evacuation step is in process. Everything is connected, nothing more to do. Just to complete cleaning and open valve of Deuterium supply.

• If that delta T (blue, excess) on slide 7 was from my calorimeter, (which is not exactly the same and possibly slightly more efficient), it would represent about 210 W input. For the 50 W calibration trace, the delta T seems low but extrapolates OK from fan heat data. I can’t run as low as 50 W stably with the present heater arrangement, but serendipitously I can hold 30V which is 72 W.

• 72 W and 50 W calibrations done. 50 W was fairly stable, much better than expected.
    Seems comparable to the figure 7 plot calibration, discussed above. One It cools down I’ll check the real data.

Edit: For some unknown reason the input power turned off for an hour, right at the beginning of steady state for the 72 W run, and then started right back up again. So the 72 W delta T results are questionable, but at least 4.5 C. The 50 W run worked out fine, and has a solid 3.95 C delta T.

Probably the heater cartridge connections are getting oxidized and will need inspection.

• In Mizuno's runs I see the air blower with a 66 mm diameter tube attached to the output on slide 15 of this:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTincreasedea.pdf

My question:

Where exactly are the RTD's or thermistors located for the output air flow? Are they inside the calorimeter box in front of the fan (i.e. upstream of the blower) or are they in the white 66 mm diameter tube?

I assume the flowing air temperature is not measured with thermocouples because those are not accurate enough for this type of calorimetry.

If the RTD or thermistors are inside the 66 mm white tube then that tube should be insulated to keep room air from cooling or heating it since that will be transmitted to the RTD's or thermistors.

• First update from the run. It is running just for 2 hours and the reactor is just slightly over 100°C. As far as I can tell, there is no excess heat.

But during one instance related to the pressure - I try to maintain constant pressure in the cell - there was clear burst of gamma radiation that correspond to over 2 times of background.

So many counts were never measured during normal circumstance. The readings returned within 10 seconds back to the background. This never happened earlier and I am convinced this is due to the pressure change as it happened exactly when pressure was increased by my intervention.

This is telling me the fuel is somehow active.

Next step is to increase the temperature.

• Official Post

that would be consistent with the observation of a gamma ray in the MFMP replications of Celani, which was also observed by Biberian.

• I am at 180W now. The temperature is still rising. I can't say we have excess heat. But I can say the temperatures are higher beyond error than during calibration.

Temperature inside the core (heater temperature) is 675°C 677°C now. It should be 652°C or less which mean there is +23°C difference. At the outside, at the end of the shell temperature is 138°C and was 132°C during calibration.

Now I will wait for steady state. It still mean nothing and could be an error.

Radiation is monitored outside the cell in 2 meter vicinity from the reactor. This mean it passed through reactor which imply it was in range of 100s keV.

• Although it is very small difference, I am now rather inclined there is excess heat. At 200W power I am getting readings from calibration at 180W or slightly better. So there is at least additional 20W coming out of this.

Since all 3 temperatures are higher than from calibration at the very same imput power and ambient temperature is same there must be something solid about it.

Radiation readings are at background.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.