MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• Official Post

Do you know if any of the successful replications mentioned used self-prepared mesh rather than supplied by Mizuno?

Mostly what I and Alan have been told, is what has been done wrong. Which implies indirectly, on how to do it right. Nothing unfortunately, so specific as preparation of the mesh...sorry. Early on, Rothwell gave detailed info on that, but of course you knew that already, and incorporated that into your mesh prep. We know nothing in addition to that.

That said, we specifically are being told why many of the replications are *not* working, and that is because of substandard equipment, water calorimetry instead of air, and improper sensors. Then there is the all encompassing "unknown reasons" provided us. It covers those like yourself doing everything
    right from what they see, but still unsuccessful.

• Official Post

It covers those like yourself doing everything

I am sure that the situation, and the process knowledge of replicators will improve due to redoubled efforts by Mizuno and with the help of his new team of assistants. Everybody needs to be a bit patient avbout this, we are not working in normal times.

• It seems that the appearance of Calcite crystals on the treated mesh depends on the volume of water used for the one-hour soak. The MR1 mesh was processed using about 3 liters of tap water and no crystals appeared. For a test today I heated just 500 ml of tap water, and added about 300 ml more over the hour to replace evaporation loss. After cooling, the pH of the water had increased from 7.02 to 7.96, indicating substantial concentration of dissolved minerals.

The mesh samples had plentiful crystal deposits after this treatment. So add this to the many unknowns in the protocol.

So many questions could be asked, but were the calcite crystals visible to the naked eye like the microscope photos appear to suggest? I guess I'm imagining a situation similar to the photo attached below.

• Mostly what I and Alan have been told, is what has been done wrong. Which implies indirectly, on how to do it right. Nothing unfortunately, so specific as preparation of the mesh...sorry. Early on, Rothwell gave detailed info on that, but of course you knew that already, and incorporated that into your mesh prep. We know nothing in addition to that.

That said, we specifically are being told why many of the replications are *not* working, and that is because of substandard equipment, water calorimetry instead of air, and improper sensors. Then there is the all encompassing "unknown reasons" provided us. It covers those like yourself doing everything

Here is the real question and somewhat the "elephant in the room"....

Is Mizuno himself replicating with high success?

If so, why no data or reports to assist? That data would be invaluable to replicators.

If not then it is not surprising others cannot replicate and casts a shadow on the first results.

I have asked this before, but never a clear answer. Can Mizuno replicate at will? Not necessarily the exact same COP, etc. but clear and documented excess heat?

• Official Post

You have not paid attention then. Mizuno has been able to get excess heat but not at the levels of the R20 reactor. This has been stated by JedRothwell even before ICCF22.

• You have not paid attention then. Mizuno has been able to get excess heat but not at the levels of the R20 reactor. This has been stated by JedRothwell even before ICCF22.

Why I do not post here regularly as of late, I have kept a general eye open.

Almost a year ago, it was reported of the Mizuno "lower COP" replication. However, few specifics and nothing since that I am aware. I.E. Long term, viewed and reviewed by others, etc. etc. My understanding is that Mizuno sent some reactors out to replicators, but little has been reported and nothing formal that I am aware of.

So I would ask you,... is Mizuno currently running a successful reactor? It it being visited or reviewed by others? (Probably not currently due to Covid19) but what about in December etc? I have heard of no self replications since almost a year and it had greatly reduced power out. No data reported would indicate no current replications?

• Official Post

Almost a year ago, it was reported of the Mizuno "lower COP" replication. However, few specifics and nothing since that I am aware. I.E. Long term, viewed and reviewed by others, etc. etc. My understanding is that Mizuno sent some reactors out to replicators, but little has been reported and nothing formal that I am aware of.

What reporting has been done is mostly private, but it has been inconclusiv (for various reasons)e in general. However, there is a new initiative underway which might produce some good news for general consumption.

Mizuno has had some further success, but nothing approaching the 3kW mentioned originally. you can find more details/data in the forum.

• So many questions could be asked, but were the calcite crystals visible to the naked eye like the microscope photos appear to suggest? I guess I'm imagining a situation as in the attached photo.

Probably not unless the viewer has exceptional eyesight. The crystals are typically 5-10 microns and contrast less in visible light compared to SEM imaging. A compound loupe or small optical microscope should be able to see them easily.

• Official Post

A compound loupe or small optical microscope should be able to see them easily.

I doubt even a compound loupe would do much for 10 micron particles, but as you say a small microscope -especially with dark-field imaging potential- would show them clearly. These are 3-5 micron gold particles in a carbon-particle suspension darkfield at 800X

• magicsound

I indeed got tricked by them being visible in high contrast in the SEM photos. My main point was that if such crystals were clearly noticeable (perhaps even in the form of an opaque layer if seen from a distance) they would have probably been mentioned in Mizuno's report for the burnishing step.

CaCO3 is poorly soluble in pure water (source), so increasing its concentration should increase the phenomenon. However it's soluble in acidic solutions, so I think the Pd plating solution (pH=1.5) used in alternative to the burnishing step could have dissolved the crystals at least to some extent.

• magicsound

I indeed got tricked by them being visible in high contrast in the SEM photos. My main point was that if such crystals were clearly noticeable (perhaps even in the form of an opaque layer if seen from a distance) they would have probably been mentioned in Mizuno's report for the burnishing step.

CaCO3 is poorly soluble in pure water (source), so increasing its concentration should increase the phenomenon. However it's soluble in acidic solutions, so I think the Pd plating solution (pH=1.5) used in alternative to the burnishing step could have dissolved the crystals at least to some extent.

Maybe check and see if the carbonate is fluorescent in SW or LW UV.
    Pure CaCO3 generally isn’t, but if it has picked up a bit of Ni or Pd it might.

• Maybe check and see if the carbonate is fluorescent in SW or LW UV.
    Pure CaCO3 generally isn’t, but if it has picked up a bit of Ni or Pd it might.

Calcite crystal is both fluorescent and birefringent. IIRC, its polarization splitting extends into the deep infrared. That is one reason I think it might be an active agent in the Mizuno system.

Attached image copied from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…uorescence_in_calcite.jpg

220px-Fluorescence_in_calcite.jpg

• My understanding is that Mizuno sent some reactors out to replicators, but little has been reported and nothing formal that I am aware of.

We have not heard back from most of them. Only Saito reported significant success.

is Mizuno currently running a successful reactor? It it being visited or reviewed by others?

He is as far as I know. He was last year. See Slide 8, here. Note that it describes a vister.

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTincreasedea.pdf

• Calcite crystal is both fluorescent and birefringent. IIRC, its polarization splitting extends into the deep infrared. That is one reason I think it might be an active agent in the Mizuno system.

Will the calcite crystals (crushed by the burnishing step) retain their structure in a low pressure hydrogen atmosphere in contact with nickel/palladium (i.e. by extension, catalytically-split atomic hydrogen) at elevated temperatures, or after prolonged vacuum cycles? If these operating conditions favor their decomposition to CaO, there could be similarities to experiments by Iwamura et al—CaO was an active agent/promoter in their case. This would also imply that more efficient methods of introducing this compound in the burnished layer of Mizuno-type materials could be found.

https://mospace.umsystem.edu/x…ermeationPresentation.pdf

A previously mentioned alternative is that the deposited CaCO3 will for the most part serve as an inert impurity favoring gap generation according to Storms' theory (by incorporation in the burnished/deposited layer), regardless of other properties it may have in the form of calcite crystals.

• Official Post

I think this is the proper place to convey very good news that we have been made aware of, through the back channels, from a person working directly with Dr. Mizuno:

The Hokkaido replication team is currently able to reproduce close to 1 KW excess heat, at will, with their current version of Mizuno’s R20.

These are indeed great news, that come as a relief in these very challenging times where the world is struggling, and the efforts being made to follow with this development in these complex circumstances have to be celebrated and heralded.

• I think this is the proper place to convey very good news that we have been made aware of, through the back channels, from a person working directly with Dr. Mizuno:

I wouldn't call this news. I would call it rumor.

What Curbina should really have written is something like 'I think this is the proper place to convey yet another interesting rumor that aligns with our preconceptions'.

• Official Post

I wouldn't call this news. I would call it rumor.

What Curbina should really have written is something like 'I think this is the proper place to convey yet another interesting rumor that aligns with our preconceptions'.

This is not rumor, the source is direct, just not to be disclosed. Please refrain to make accusations of us spreading rumors.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.