MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• A=17 is typically OH-, a common residual in high vacuum systems. But A=18 (H20) is more common and pernicious.

A likely cause of the missing A=3 is most or all of the D being stuck in the Pd, and the remaining A=2 being H2.

Jed, If you read this perhaps you can point to some relevant papers on the difficulties of unloading D from Pd.

• Jed, If you read this perhaps you can point to some relevant papers on the difficulties of unloading D from Pd.

This has already been noted by Ubaldo Mastromatteo in Assisi. After several times loading Hydrogen the cavities get larger and the loaded quantity increases each run. But after first time loading D it is not possible to repeat the D loading process - unloading D does not work...

• Interesting seems like the movement of deuterium through the metal lattice increases rate of interaction. With vacume and reloading it's like you are pumping the flow of hydrogen isotopes through the metal. Hence why more excess heat, dynamic introduction and interaction of moving isotopes with selected metal atoms may get best results. Hollow electrodes, liquid metal electrodes and dusty plasmas with energetic high electron/deuteron flux seem more likely to regularly produce excess heat, primed for reaction.

• Wyttenbach Yes that was one recent reference. There is also a wealth of experience with this question in P&F type cells that should not be ignored. In that case the unloading may be done by reverse polarity electrolysis. but I don't knw the literature with any depth.

In any event, I propose to pump out the cell again, since it is already hot.

New stream of the live data is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvTqro207Y

• There is also a wealth of experience with this question in P&F type cells that should not be ignored. In that case the unloading may be done by reverse polarity electrolysis. but I don't knw the literature with any depth.

Me neither, but McKubre has discussed this several times, especially reverse polarity. It is easy to reduce loading at first, but below the alpha phase it becomes more and more difficult.

This issue makes it difficult to replace H with D in palladium.

• I bought 50 liters of deuterium (D2) on ebay from Global Rare Gases, they shipped fairly quickly and were very responsive by email. They will sell to anyone.

this is how they described it:

$325, + $75 in shipping by FedEx Ground. Billed through PayPal on Ebay

Lecture bottle; brass CGA 350 valve; D2, 99.999 chemical, 99.7% enrichment; 50 liters; $325 + $75 shipping by FedEx Haz mat ground.

address:

Global Rare Gases, LLC.

2533 Tracy Rd.

Northwood, OH 43619

The status of my experiment is I'm still calibrating with Argon and stainless steel mesh. After that I'll calibrate with deuterium gas and the stainless steel mesh. I use the average surface temperature from 8 thermocouples to calculate the thermal emitted power. It is calibrated with a square wave heat pulse lasting 3 hours to get the specific heat capacity at different power inputs. The heater is tungsten wire wrapped around a ceramic tube which will reach 450 watts and probably more if I push it.

I still need to get palladium and create the nickel coated mesh - I have the nickel mesh that Jed gave me. I plan to buy a 30 gram ingot for about $2100. Does anyone need palladium for their experiment and want to share the cost of the ingot? here is a photo of my setup - though the RGA (residual gas analyzer) is not working yet. The turbo pump will get the pressure down to 6 x 10^(-8) Torr.

• Official Post

Just one side question. At the moment, during the COVID-19 pandemic, most people are getting familiar with video conferencing software.

JedRothwell do you think it would be possible to schedule a web/conference session with mizunotadahiko and magicsound to just clear up some details?

Maybe a weekly meeting would speed things up a lot, by simply exchanging some details and findings.

Don't know how familiar mizunotadahiko is with such things, but as he knows JedRothwell personally, JedRothwell could moderate that meeting.

Just my 2 stupid cents from the sideline, now go on :)

• j9381 Nice setup! Your gas plumbing looks comprehensive and flexible, though not easy to understand for the casual observer. Thanks also for the great tip on sourcing Deuterium.

Here's the RGA plot this morning, after running overnight with the cell closed and vacuum pump off. It demonstrates that the cell is still leak-free to ~1E-5 Torr, the detection limit of the RGA.

• magicsound

Now it works; a problem I have sometime had is that leaving the page while composing a comment and returning back to it later on apparently leaves any previously uploaded image visible from the browser cache, but does not preserve it in the actual comment when submitting it.

• I am now back to working on the outlet flow... and I recall how much this sucks from the last time that I was working on it.

I installed the SS 125 x 500 mm cylinder (that was covering the heater) over top of the 65 mm ID outlet tube, so that the increased diameter might work better with the vane anemometer. I did hot wire anemometer traverses for comparison, at the steady state 200W input conditions.

The results are as aggravating as with the original on the 65 mm outlet.

Results

65 mm : 6.5 m/s vane, 2.85 m/s HW traverse average

125 mm: 2.0 m/s vane average, 0.85 m/s HW traverse average

At 65 mm 2.85 m/s is 72% input heat recovery

At 125 mm 0.85 m/s is 80% input heat recovery

The Hot Wire anemometer shows substantially higher air velocity at the outlet when at ambient temperature rather than when heat soaked in the outlet tube at the heated temperature.

• Mizuno finally got a chance to answer my question about the palladium rod. From his answer, it seems he does not know the history of it. He said "I think" the round melted spot came from quenching. His response, translated:

The raw material rod is from Tanaka Kikinzoku.

I think it was partially melted by quenching 「焼き入れ yakiire -- also translated "unannealed"] (because unlike steel, palladium becomes soft when quenched). It can be heated in air with a gas burner. Such as this one:

https://www.monotaro.com/g/002…83i%81%5B%89%B7%93x%89%8A

• The Hot Wire anemometer shows substantially higher air velocity at the outlet when at ambient temperature rather than when heat soaked in the outlet tube at the heated temperature.

I assume they need calibrating for different flow temperature due to the way they work? Or are they meant to have compensation built in?

Google found a paper but I've not the time to read it...

https://iopscience.iop.org/art…0.1088/0022-3735/20/3/017

• I assume they need calibrating for different flow temperature due to the way they work? Or are they meant to have compensation built in?

Google found a paper but I've not the time to read it...

https://iopscience.iop.org/art…0.1088/0022-3735/20/3/017

Hot wire anemometers report velocity in Normal Conditions, rather than Actual or Standard conditions, so all readings are as if they were collected at 20 C.

The probe also needs to be at the temperature of the air measured, or it will report as if the air is at whatever temperature the probe tip is, which could be ambient, but could be between ambient and the moving air temperature. The difference could easily work out to 10% of the heat recovery.

• I did a photo tachometer test of the vane anemometer and it reports almost exactly the expected RPM at the reported wind speed. Within two RPM, which is probably my method error more than a real error.

So then I experimented with a second 65 mm ID outlet tube in series with the first, but with an adjustable air gap between the tube sections. I moved the outer tube (with the vane anemometer on the far end) closer to the inner (source) tube until the wind speed just began to increase with the anemometer attached compared to 5 mm away from the tube opening. Basically the secondary tube was set in place where the tube air pressure did not increase with the vane anemometer capping the end. This speed is very close to the average of several hot wire traverse speeds from the main outlet tube, which is encouraging. It also suggests that static pressure bothers the vane anemometer, and is probably the cause of the main discrepancy between the hot wire and vane anemometer. [Keeping in mind that the vane is measuring in units at Actual Conditions, while the hot wire is measuring units at Normal Conditions, which are slightly different (about 0.2 m/s difference) at these air velocities].

Oh, and before that I spent several hours making and modifying diffuser grilles for the outlet of the blower fan (before the 20 cm long 65 mm ID tube) to see if I could tame the velocity profile of the tube outlet. I did eventually make some progress there, but overall very little. The effects of the airflow interference were so counterintuitive that at one point I was getting opposite results to what ai wanted, so I flipped the diffuser upside down (reversing the left and right grille profiles) and got mostly what I was looking for, which was no outlet air traverse locations above 5 m/s and none less than 2 m/s.

• Checking the airflow out of the extended outlet tube confirms that the vane to Hot Wire ratio is apparently just reduced to smaller numeric values. 😕

However, the extended blower tube outlet air velocity profile is incredibly flat by the hot wire anemometer. Like 2.25 to 2.38 m/s everywhere in the 65 mm outlet.

That might lead to some progress.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.