MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• I'm not sure what you mean by sensitivity here. Leaks mainly seem to (substantially) affect the time constant. They seem to have a pretty much undetectable effect on the eventual steady-state deltaT (I think because the intentional leak out of the exhaust opening in the top of the calorimeter is so much bigger in comparison). I assume that the increase in sensitivity appearing as the difference between the blue and red traces in Paradigmnoia's plot is due to the use of extra insulation.

The leak at the fan, which is ‘sucking’ air ideally from the inside of the box, lets in unheated air, reducing the apparent outlet temperature, and therefore reducing apparent power across the whole experiment.

A leak of air almost anywhere else, inside the box, is not much different than coming in through the inlet. There is not much pressure difference to drive substantial leaks compared to the large (75 mm) inlet hole. The small leaks add up to a small decrease in overall calculated output efficiency, which is true.

The removal of about 20 kg total mass from inside the calorimeter envelope gave all the rate increases.
    Heat only the air, ideally.

• Today the box is merrily making a Delta T of 0.7 to 1.0 C with no heat source.

It was making it without the fan on, after sitting at ambient for the last 20 hours or so.

Fan on, almost no change. Fan cover off-on almost no change.

Thermocouples checked/swapped, heated and allowed to restabilize...

Fan on, fan off.

Still doing it.

a DT of 1.0 C is equivalent to about 12.65 W.

• Official Post

There are such things as 'heat traps'. For example rooms with vaulted ceilings. There warm air tends to collect in the still upper spaces undisturbed by air currents. Just a convection phenomenon. Also known as a positive thermal gravity gradient. In calorimetry is is sometimes referred to as 'the buoyancy effect' where warm air 'floats' on top of cooler air.

But I don't know if that's what you're seeing.

• Good work, and although there may be room for further improvement, air flow calorimetry is generally thought to have reduced precision compared to other techniques.

About ±0.5°C is the best stability I've been able to get from type K TC's. It seems to me you may have established a calibration constant and reached the precision limit for the system. That said, in the power domain 12 watts is a pretty big difference. That's about what I established for the Glowstick system, using just differential thermometry in open still air.

• Good work, and although there may be room for further improvement, air flow calorimetry is generally thought to have reduced precision compared to other techniques.

About ±0.5°C is the best stability I've been able to get from type K TC's. It seems to me you may have established a calibration constant and reached the precision limit for the system. That said, in the power domain 12 watts is a pretty big difference. That's about what I established for the Glowstick system, using just differential thermometry in open still air.

I figured the outlet fan would have blown any stratified air out of the box pretty quick.

I am running a 100 W input test to try and see if the apparent extra bit of heat is additive, like a positive offset on the DT, or if it is just there when there is no real source of heat.

Paradigmnoia: You probably know this - just pointing this out:

For room temperature measurements, Type J gives better sensitivity - and if you use multiple thermocouples, you can average the readings which will give more accuracy with less drift.

If you can, use multiple RTD's or the most accurate is thermistors. But thermocouples are the easiest to set up obviously. Watch out for room temperature conducting up the TC probe and affecting the reading. Need a good amount of length in the air flow to counteract that.

• Paradigmnoia: You probably know this - just pointing this out:

For room temperature measurements, Type J gives better sensitivity - and if you use multiple thermocouples, you can average the readings which will give more accuracy with less drift.

If you can, use multiple RTD's or the most accurate is thermistors. But thermocouples are the easiest to set up obviously. Watch out for room temperature conducting up the TC probe and affecting the reading. Need a good amount of length in the air flow to counteract that.

Two outlet thermocouples, two inlet thermocouples, of which all four are from a matched set of five thermocouples, all of which agree when the tips are all in the same spot. A third outlet temperature sensor is built into the Bosch BME280 atmospheric pressure/temperature/humidity sensor. Two other stand alone RTD sensors with digital displays plus a mechanical thermometer monitoring the air temperature around the calorimeter (but these are not recorded).

The “extra temperature” is there when no heat source is active in the box.
    In other words everything is at room temperature.

Easy enough to fiddle with anyways, since the two inlet and two outlet thermocouples are connected to a dedicated thermocouple datalogger with a live digital display for all 4 channels, (and then that digital TC data goes to the main datalogger along with recorded voltages, currents, BME280 data, etc.

• Few businesses release their IP..especially so in LENR. That said, I was more curious about the format, wording, photos...for now?

Claiming a mass produced version is probably a poor idea at this stage, as well as 100 kW fantasies.

The first part, explaining that the company is based in Hokkaido and Sapporo is not very clear. The first and last sentence should be combined and streamlined.

The site overall looks nice.

• Speaking of replications, I've just started a full test, with two freshly prepared meshes installed and full bake-out done. The live stream is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoupGIH-Kgo

It's set to 40 watts for overnight dwell at just over 100°C. I expect this to be a long experiment, but no telling if/when excess heat might occur. There's a grey trace on the moving graph, showing the calibration temperature (T2) for the measured heater power. That's a nice feature added by CAN a few months back.

The RGA display is shown but it won't be left on continuously because it draws down the cell pressure. The cell content will be checked from time to time as needed.

• Loosened the fan to a 4 mm gap between the 12 mm thick fan gasket and the calorimeter lid, to let the fan suck in lots of outside air. Almost no change in total DT. (! Unsteady 0.1C drop.)

Took one of the inlet TCs and installed it between the fan gasket and the calorimeter lid, so 12 mm ahead of the outlet blower fan intake side, in the center of the airstream. Tightened fan back up.

Fan on: fan intake TC temperature is halfway between the calorimeter inlet and outlet temperature. Solid 0.4 C DT between fan intake and outlet. 0.7 to 0.8 C DT fairly steady between calorimeter intake and outlet.

Fan off: calorimeter top/fan intake side temperature climbs 0.1 to 0.2 C above the fan-running outlet temperature. The outlet temperature drops about 0.1 C.

• Few businesses release their IP..especially so in LENR. That said, I was more curious about the format, wording, photos...for now?

If they are in the process of getting IP protection agreed, however if they have patent(s), why not listing those.

I would also provide all info in English. Japanese replication report not in English available. Also the indian replication report could be beefed up.

Website - depends on the purpose. Who should be attracted by this information?

What is the USP?

IMO there would be still questions which are open, concrete IP protection and serious replication result(s). I think the effect is still to weak at the moment, to be really effective or did I get something wrong. Energy density info or COP could be added.

Nice lab though..

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.