Team Google wants your opinion: "What is the highest priority experiment the LENR community wants to see conducted?"

• Carl Page lecture MIT 2019

Around 9:30 he talks about LENR.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Fran Tanzella interview MIT 2019

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Robert Duncan MIT 2019

• Lawrence Forsley interview

• Professor Iwamura Yasuhiro interview MIT 2019

• Peter Hagelstein lecture MIT 2019

• One area where I agree with Kirk is the importance of error bounding. Anyone claiming extraordinary results ought to have watertight error bounds. For example, Mizuno could bound the errors in his absolute estimation of heat output, or he could bound all the effects that might make some difference between control and active run data with reasons for the bounds. That process enforces discipline, makes you think about methodology and what are all the differences. It can be challenged.

From my POV, given positive results like those Mizuno describes, the discussion, led by him, should be one of what are the various errors, how can we bound each one and under what circumstances.

Error estimation is extremely difficult and i would not expect it in most cases. Error bounding is however quite possible, and necessary. It forces you to make explicit and quantitative the assumptions on which your results rest. It can be done even if the experiment is just heating up two reactors next to each other on a bench and seeing which gets hotter.

Because it does not exist, in Mizuno's paper for example, we then have 60 pages of weird discussion trying to work out what are the possible error mechanisms relevant to those results.

I'm sure the google team would do this. I'd hope that all modern LENR researchers would do it. Some do, but only partially. They identify some of the errors, and bound them, but not all. However, that is what peer review is for and if the LENR community did this it would happen more.

• Mizuno's paper for example, we then have 60 pages of weird discussion trying to work out what are the possible error mechanisms relevant to those results.

weird ....? as in finding errors such as

- 64% error in the velocity traverse for airflow ..when velocity traverses have been done for many decades Mizuno reports increased excess heat

Mizuno reports increased excess heat

- turbulent flow does not have a flat velocity profile

- HUGE combustion energy from a miniscule 3mg of deuterium

- 80C temperature for the insulation surface temperature

education of those with poor knowledge of basic stuff is not weird.

its boring.

It is quite true I got laminar/turbulent the wrong way round

• Can we all agree, including kirkshanahan hopefully, that a device which has a 50W input and a 250W output when a comparable blank/control device has the expected 50W out- can we agree that such a result would not be negated by any type of conceivable calibration shift? That, of course, is the performance level claimed by Mizuno. If we agree on this, then we are back to concluding that Mizuno has some sort of stupendous mistake (like a decimal point error) or dishonesty or the only alternative conclusion is that Mizuno has invented a novel "anomalous" heat source, no? Are there other options?

From my POV, given positive results like those Mizuno describes, the discussion, led by him, should be one of what are the various errors, how can we bound each one and under what circumstances

Sure but with a power ratio of 5:1 starting at 50W in, he would be looking for a gargantuan Paul Bunyan sized error, wouldn't he? It wouldn't be any sort of subtle mistake, noise or ordinary calibration issue. The claim is a healthy power in and an f'n 500% power gain!

• Can we all agree, including kirkshanahan hopefully, that a device which has a 50W input and a 250W output when a comparable blank/control device has the expected 50W out- can we agree that such a result would not be negated by any type of conceivable calibration shift? That, of course, is the performance level claimed by Mizuno. If we agree on this, then we are back to concluding that Mizuno has some sort of stupendous mistake (like a decimal point error) or dishonesty or the only alternative conclusion is that Mizuno has invented a novel "anomalous" heat source, no? Are there other options?

Sure but with a power ratio of 5:1 starting at 50W in, he would be looking for a gargantuan Paul Bunyan sized error, wouldn't he? It wouldn't be any sort of subtle mistake, noise or ordinary calibration issue. The claim is a healthy power in and an f'n 500% power gain!

My best bet for a possible genuine mistake that might explain the sample R20 measurement using old heater resistance and measured voltage from PSU to determine heater power on R20. It is the sort of thing that can happen - where you change one variable and forget to propagate it through all the calculations that use it. It fits what is said, and we have no information that input power was measured directly in the R20 active test. Remember that the R20 active result comes from a different reactor, with different heater, perhaps driven in a different way (we do not know). Previous columns in spreadsheets have conflated calculated with measured anenometer data - so we'd need explicit confirmation from Mizuno to rule this out.

In addition, circumstantial, the stated heater element has rating up to 500W and a 100V 500W PSU would be enough to supply this.

• See my comment on the correct thread, and also above where I answer SOT re R20.

It is not hard to figure out where if you keep a level head and look carefully at all the info.

• See my comment on the correct thread, and also above where I answer SOT re R20.

It is not hard to figure out where if you keep a level head and look carefully at all the info.

I'd just want to correct the language here. Looking very carefully at the Mizuno results and asking how these can be error bounded is not dismissing them. In fact it is respecting them, taking them seriously. And if the error bounds no longer make surprising excess heat proven, that analysis still does not negate the results. It shows the authors what work they need to do to tighten up the error bounds.

Dismissing the results would be to look at headline figures without proper analysis of what they mean, or ignoring them because they are surprising.

• Dismissing the results would be to look at headline figures without proper analysis of what they mean, or ignoring them because they are surprising.

THHnew has tried very hard with poor skills to show major errors.

and has contributed much to what he calls "60 pages of weird discussion"

He cannot show 20% error by calculation ... let alone 200%

but has plenty of words.(language)

This is precisely why Dr. Mizuno, as a matter of course, should replicate his experiment himself assuming he has the means to do so, and why Google, unless it is completely convinced that the result is fraudulent, should ensure he has the means to do so. He has results which, if replicated for impartial observers, would eliminate any legitimate controversy.

Let me lay out the basic points:

1. If excess heat can be generated by Dr. Mizuno's materials and at the rate he asserts, the impact on humanity would be overwhelming.

2. As the impact on humanity would be overwhelming, it would mean lifetime fame, wealth, and awards for Dr. Mizuno.

3. Most scientists dream of having an overwhelmingly positive impact on humanity, or at least of having fame, wealth and awards.

4. Therefore, a scientist with extraordinary results would want these results to be broadly acknowledged.

5. The path to such acknowledgement is replication in a manner open to the observation and inspection of impartial observers.

6. The person with the greatest likelihood of replication is Dr. Mizuno himself.

There is a fairly small set of reasons why Dr. Mizuno might not be conducting the replication himself. Perhaps he lacks the resources to replicate. Perhaps he is unwilling to divert his time to repeat things he's already done. Perhaps -- and I am not alleging this, I am only listing it -- he knows his results cannot be replicated. Perhaps -- and I am also not alleging this, but trying to be thorough -- he has been given cause to fear for his safety if he replicates.

If the problem is his lack of resources, Google or any medium-sized company or philanthropist could easily eliminate that problem.

If the problem is unwillingness to repeat himself, perhaps the benefits he would accrue on successful replication could be made apparent -- Google could certainly make that clear by offering a substantial award upon delivery of a successful reactor. If the problem is fear for his safety, Google could mitigate that issue.

If the problem is that he knows his results cannot be replicated, then solving the other issues above should make that apparent.

But to release a paper picturing a device which, with an electrical input in the hundreds of watts, is claimed to have heated a house which would require thousands of watts to generate sufficient heat via electric means is to assert that one has solved the largest technological problem facing humanity today, and it seems -- doesn't it?! -- like anyone with such a contribution already made would do everything in their power to see their contribution come to fruition.

• RB has puffed and strutted and inserted much personal diatribe where it should be just discussion on numbers and science.

THH is simply stating that all things should be taken under scrutiny and examined very closely, especially since the claims are extraordinary.

RB... what "techinal content" does the above have! :/ That is what your typical statement! It is clear you are simply personalizing and have attached yourself to this project and cannot help yourself but be juvenile.

So here goes the wager..... what are YOU going to say, when 3 months from now, there is no replication showing positive results? I forecast that you will say something along the lines of "well.... we have not replicated yet... but THH is STILL wrong!" I should save this post to see what happens.

Over the past 11 years, I have seen many people boast, prod and give juvenile taunts to other who do not take line, hook and sinker of their current "pet project".

There was one here just a year ago that was going to bring the "fossil fuel age" to an end withing months. Where are we now? :/ I seem to believe that you were flag waiving it along that time. What will you be doing 6 months from now on this project? More of the same I imagine.

I sincerely hope that Mizuno is correct. I believe that THH hopes that as well. We all should. But that hope does not blind some or make them act juvenile. Perhaps you should reconsider your taunting. It is neither professional nor complimentary to you at all. It is the manner of a spoiled child. SInce you often quote, perhaps you should review these James 1:26 , Ephesians 4:29, Proverbs 15:1, Proverbs 21:23, :thumbup:

• Official Post

Have you read Ruby's new article on Mizuno? If not, it may answer some of your questions. Mizuno update by CFN/LF Journalist Ruby Carat

• This is precisely why Dr. Mizuno, as a matter of course, should replicate his experiment himself assuming he has the means to do so,

What does that mean? A researcher cannot "replicate" himself. He can repeat the experiment, or improve it. Mizuno has been doing that for years.

In research "replication" generally means someone else does it.

THH is simply stating that all things should be taken under scrutiny and examined very closely, especially since the claims are extraordinary.

No, THH has been posting endless impossible upside down and backwards nonsense. He claims that it traversed tests that comes within 3 mm of the walls does not prove the fluid is well mixed. He claims that a few milligrams of material might produce ~40 W for 111 days. He claims that macroscopic condensed droplets of water can become invisible and move against gravity, and this process this magically cancels the conservation of energy because the energy needed to vaporize them disappears. His claims sound impressive thanks to jargon and obscurity, but when you restate them in understandable terms you see that everything he has said and all of his contributions have been egregious nonsense.

Also, these claims are no more extraordinary than any other cold fusion claims. They are quite ordinary once you are familiar with the field. "Extraordinary" is a state of mind in the observer, not something inherent in the experiment. Even if we grant this is extraordinary, just because claims are extraordinary does not mean they need to be examined in some special way. All claims, ordinary or extraordinary, should be held to the same standards of rigor.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.