When is settled settled?

• Their background search would take them here, where they would see he is a big believer in LENR, therefore his paper must have something to do with it. That would be the end of that.

I am not proposing an aspiring LENR theorist decide to never try for a peer review for fear of rejection. If they have the time and energy, I say go for it. But IMO, there have been many others who have gone down that rigorous path, only to be met with a door closed in their face. Could be wrong though.

The gatekeepers, those who essentially decide what is 'respectable' to talk about, guard the esteemed journals. Peer view is generally still intact there. But god forbid you want to publish what is not deemed respectable in those journals. I hate to quote from Wiki, but here goes.

Julian Seymour Schwinger (/ˈʃwɪŋər/; February 12, 1918 – July 16, 1994) was a Nobel Prize winning Americantheoretical physicist. He is best known for his work on the theory of quantum electrodynamics (QED), in particular for developing a relativistically invariant perturbation theory, and for renormalizing QED to one loop order. Schwinger was a physics professor at several universities.

Schwinger is recognized as one of the greatest physicists of the twentieth century ....

After 1989 Schwinger took a keen interest in the non-mainstream research of cold fusion. He wrote eight theory papers about it. He resigned from the American Physical Society after their refusal to publish his papers. He felt that cold fusion research was being suppressed and academic freedom violated. He wrote: "The pressure for conformity is enormous. I have experienced it in editors' rejection of submitted papers, based on venomous criticism of anonymous referees. The replacement of impartial reviewing by censorship will be the death of science."

• I just want to do the science and make things happen.

If you wish to make things happen, you must publish your results. Upload them to your own website, or publish them in a peer-reviewed format. At present, you are keeping them secret. As long as you do that they will have no impact. I would even argue they are not (yet) science. The essence of science is that it is shared. It is made public. Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519) did many things that might be regarded as science, but he was the last great medieval figure, because he kept his work secret in mirror writing. He missed the essence of the Renaissance and the Enlightenment era that followed (more or less starting around 1600). The greatest Renaissance thinker was Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626), and one of his most important ideas was the progress and science depend on publishing.

Papers published in ICCF proceedings these days go through fairly rigorous peer-review. The regular issues of the JCMNS are even more rigorously reviewed.

In mainstream journals and the mass media, cold fusion related articles go through two different review tracks. Those which hint that cold fusion might be real, or there is evidence for it, are summarily rejected without review. Those which declare it is impossible, or that all researchers are lunatics, frauds and criminals, are in like Flynn. They go through peer-review like shit through a goose. Once you say cold fusion is impossible or the researchers are criminals, you can say anything else you like, even when it violates elementary physics or common sense. No one will call you out on it.

• Peer review would involve 6 months gathering data, three months writing a paper, and at least a year arguing points with reviewers. For me there is no point. I have no academic career to nurture, no depagtment to answer to. I just want to do the science and make things happen.

At least publish in the JONP. Puppet peer reviews are much kindler, gentler. Maybe they will write a song for you about believing in your work.

• Peer review would involve 6 months gathering data, three months writing a paper, and at least a year arguing points with reviewers. For me there is no point. I have no academic career to nurture, no depagtment to answer to. I just want to do the science and make things happen.

For you, I pretty much agree. Last Fall you remarked that those on your team are getting on in age and you just want to go fast now. I responded that if you want to go fast, the way to do that is post a complete set of procedures for your Atom-Ecology gammas thing and let the community have at it (I see Jed saying the same elsewhere on this thread and it is what Jed and Mizuno have done with Mizuno's heater ... much to their credit). Result? Well, no reply from you at the time, but a big GO SLOW and keep everything TOP SECRET from your group. It contradicts what you say on several levels.

As for Wyttenbach, I have never suggested that he send his rotator-collapse explanation for LENR for review. Beginning last Fall I have very specifically held that it his non-LENR SO(4) stuff that needs to go out to a serious journal because contrary to what ShaneD says, there should be no anti-LENR bias problem along that route.

• You could ask Wyttenbach though

I just clicked on NPP2

The quantisations of the proton energy levels could very well be involved together with the thousands of diiferent gamma states in a mix of metal isotopes

in the consumption of the MEV levels of deuterium fusion energy in an ecological pyramidal downsizing fashion

"

Even more exciting is the most recent fnding (chpt. 8.4), that is based on the magnetic-mass formula for

the proton. We found a possible “alpha” quantization term that could explain many effects/spectra found in

LENR experiments. This needs more experimental verifcation ...

About Space, Time & Energy in dense space

or: Nuclear & Particle Physics (NPP) Version 2.1.0

Author: Dr. J. Albert Wyttenbach - independent researcher

https://www.researchgate.net/p…ar-and-particlephysics-20

• I think NPP could at least benefit from some sort of linguistic review (e.g. "halve life" repeatedly used throughout the text; as it's probably not just a simple typo I have wondered if it's different from "half-life") and avoid abusing the versioning system it currently uses. Updates are meant to get integrated with consecutive versions of the same document, not left into past versions. These two things make the document(s) incredibly difficult to read and follow and probably deter many people from reading it with the required level of attention.

• "halve life"

substituting halflife . will not cure my 4D headache

Reading the references for NPP2 only adds to the severity:)

However nuclear physics theory is not for the faint hearted and is not QED

eg QCD from Wikipedia.. not QED:)

"

Every field theory of particle physics is based on certain symmetries of nature whose existence is deduced from observations. These can be

local symmetries, that are the symmetries that act independently at each point in spacetime. Each such symmetry is the basis of a gauge theory and requires the introduction of its own gauge bosons.

• global symmetries, which are symmetries whose operations must be simultaneously applied to all points of spacetime.

QCD is a non-abelian gauge theory (or Yang-Mills theory) of the SU(3) gauge group obtained by taking the color charge to define a local symmetry.

Since the strong interaction does not discriminate between different flavors of quark, QCD has approximate flavor symmetry, which is broken by the differing masses of the quarks.

There are additional global symmetries whose definitions require the notion of chirality, discrimination between left and right-handed. If the spin of a particle has a positive projection on its direction of motion then it is called left-handed; otherwise, it is right-handed. Chirality and handedness are not the same, but become approximately equivalent at high energies.

• Chiral symmetries involve independent transformations of these two types of particle.
    • Vector symmetries (also called diagonal symmetries) mean the same transformation is applied on the two chiralities.
    • Axial symmetries are those in which one transformation is applied on left-handed particles and the inverse on the right-handed particles.
  • I think NPP could at least benefit from some sort of linguistic review (e.g. "halve life" repeatedly used throughout the text; as it's probably not just a simple typo I have wondered if it's different from "half-life") and avoid abusing the versioning system it currently uses.

NPP2.0 was thought to be an investigative project first. If you start to cross a border nobody can help you at first and the farther away you walk, the more difficult it is to communicate your position.

I'm quite happy as I had a fantastic trip through undiscovered land and I'm kind of proud I kept walking on. The main problem is that I, so far, did only publish a small (but key-) set of the findings as it is impossible to follow all paths in parallel. If I can uphold by health I will try to condenses everything in a book format.

I did start NPP2.0 with the intention to find a physical model that explains LENR. This goal is about 80% complete now, but ,may be, this what all physicists did think after they found some new theory...

I did take me 1 minute to "find" (it's NPP2.0 inherent - given my Mills rules!) the formula for the exact mass of the fake Higgs particle. Now you can estimate the amount of hate this generates among people that did spend their live to cheat the rest of the world, with explaining that an unknown resonance at an unknown energy must be the Higgs... SM as model for dense mass is dead and only its particle catalog will somehow survive.

• Official Post

I respect all efforts of finding a closer version or model of reality than we currently have. I also think that Researchgate is a very active platform that kind of de facto renders obsolete peer review in its classical form, and eventually will render obsolete classical publications. I am a member of researchgate and the direct peer to peer contact it provides is very helpful, but it also offers the great advantage of being interdisciplinary.

I have been through the classical peer review and is slow. I am also a peer reviewer, and is a very thankless job, which I really don´t complain about, but, in its effort to keep formality, is not very dynamic and turns out to happen at snail pace compared to the speed of research.

My professional development area is completely outside of LENR, so far, but in all areas the acceptance of newer ideas finds strong opposition from entrenched positions, but in the case of researchgate, as you interact with people directly, it is often a much more efficient peer review.

That is a perfectly respectable viewpoint... for engineering. As Rossi tells us but then does not deliver, the market (or at least the reality of easily replicable working demos) trumps science writeups.

If, OTOH, you have not quite got those working demos, but have got something, and your work is going to contribute to help others to understand LENR, then that disciplined 6 months experimental work + 3 months writing is needed.

Without it, it is not just that no-one else knows what you've got. You don't know it either.

I'd also say this. Although a science career now (alas) requires a decent publication record, and papers can be "milled", it is not always that. Those who have something worth saying still say it, and there is a great personal satisfaction in writing a good paper. Satisfaction also in making it better to satisfy those pesky reviewers. Typically one is irrelevant, one is pesky but can be satisfied easily, and one makes useful constructive criticism on how to improve the paper. That is if you have started off with a good paper.

THH

• I respect all efforts of finding a closer version or model of reality than we currently have. I also think that Researchgate is a very active platform that kind of de facto renders obsolete peer review in its classical form, and eventually will render obsolete classical publications. I am a member of researchgate and the direct peer to peer contact it provides is very helpful, but it also offers the great advantage of being interdisciplinary.

I have been through the classical peer review and is slow. I am also a peer reviewer, and is a very thankless job, which I really don´t complain about, but, in its effort to keep formality, is not very dynamic and turns out to happen at snail pace compared to the speed of research.

My professional development area is completely outside of LENR, so far, but in all areas the acceptance of newer ideas finds strong opposition from entrenched positions, but in the case of researchgate, as you interact with people directly, it is often a much more efficient peer review.

It may do that: the question is how to get as much time and trouble from reviewers who are constructively critical and therefore help you to improve the paper. In addition, as a quality determining mechanism, it is a bit rough.

But I'll give you that it is fast and where things change very rapidly that has merit.

• Official Post

Am I missing something? Or where can I find the peer review of Rossi's paper on Research Gate?

Anyone in researchgate can start a peer review. You either start a public query about it or generate a rebuttal paper and publish with link to the original paper. As simple as that. I haven’t even bothered to read Rossi’s paper, have to admit, I’d rather not hear about him ever again. But if you open a Researchgate account you can get to it quickly.

• Official Post

It may do that: the question is how to get as much time and trouble from reviewers who are constructively critical and therefore help you to improve the paper. In addition, as a quality determining mechanism, it is a bit rough.

But I'll give you that it is fast and where things change very rapidly that has merit.

I can give you an example of how quick is the process if you are really interested in someone else’s research: About a year ago an Israeli researcher published results about yield of peppers under saline conditions, which I found really interesting.

I have to provide background for you to understand my interest in such matters: I am an agricultural engineer who lives in one of the hyper arid areas of the world and has to deal with doing agriculture in an area with a very good thermic range for vegetable cropping year round, but a short supply of irrigation water, and brackish on top that (particularly rich in natural boron, which is toxic for most vegetables of economic importance). Israel has some of the same troubles but milder than we have here. Hence when this particular researcher posted an article that confirmed my long held hypothesis that you can obtain a higher yield of higher quality produce (not a higher total yield, but a higher amount of produce that has a quality that outmatches in price a higher total yield) I quickly got in touch with him and asked for the original data and perused it to my entire satisfaction. This level of review could not happen outside researchgate.

• Official Post

Also, I have to comment that when I peer review, I adopt a constructive attitude, I read carefully the papers and the quoted papers (elsevier grants free access to all their papers for peer reviewers so that’s a reward on its own and has been very helpful to me). Being an engineer I have to assume that most of the time my criticisms are on the practical significance of the research, specially If I see that the researcher did not thought about how his research would be applicable to real world problems. That’s a personal and professional bias I have to acknowledge, but in the field of desalination I think is a plus.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The reason I got interested in "free energy" in the first place is the high energy requirement for water desalting.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.