A young smart guy who recently started making his own experiment

• Hi Matt welcome to the LENR world - my PhD was in Biophysics from UCL and I knew many researchers from Imperial before I retired and have now an active interest in LENR (a background I share with Piantelli who is also a biophysicist). Good to see younger researchers taking an interest especially at a time when Nature has published such a negative report from TG - why can't they read some of the most recent NASA reports (P.Mosier Boss & Forsling most recent J CMNS) actually using co-deposited Pd and D electrolysis to generate neutrons which they then drive a U fission process with? The basis of a fusion fission reactor for space exploration. Then there's all the transmutation data etc too which when you add it all up there can be no doubt that the reactions underlying LENR must be real. I'm particularly interested in Holmlid's ultra dense D/H (UDD/H) work, whether this is analogous to R.Mills Hydrino etc - the real mystery is why there is a background spontaneous level of mesons released from UDD which is enhanced by laser stimulation. Solving this one may be central to all LENR work since the only realistic cold fusion reaction ever clearly characterized is the negative muon catalysed process. All the other theories, e-capture, electron clustering, e-screening, lattice energy, EVO's etc may all play a peripheral role to the one central cold fusion muon catalysed fusion mechanism which I think underlies all LENR. Just need to find the evidence/or disprove the theory as the case may be. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome Dr Richard :)

• Be sure you do not expose the heavy water to air. It is hygroscopic. It will degrade in purity just from the air in the bottle, and if you leave the top off, that will happen quickly. Bockris and others used IV bags to store it, as I recall.

Thanks JedRothwell - I will certainly be careful with how I store this most precious of liquids :) Look forward to seeing you at ICCF-22

• Hi matt, pretty impressive and also brave. We cannot help with heavy water, but we could help with stainless steel machining / welding, MACOR machining or 3D CAD modelling. I am a mechatronics engineer and work as a teacher at a technical vocational school in Austria. We already did some work for Lenr cars SA in Switzerland. You can send me a private conversation, if you are interested

• Official Post

Did Matt Lilley make cold fusion happen?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's right John - I should have probably waited another hour or two for the baseline to stabilise....a learning for next time. I don't think it voids the whole experiment though - it just means that there is more uncertainty in those early times when I initially put the hydrogen in.

I've not done control experiments yet - I was too excited to just try something out :-). These control experiments are on my agenda, but as I said in the video the temperature increase I saw didn't strike me as compelling so I've not rushed to do them.

• Official Post

Well Matt, just read your answer to my comment to your YT video. I just wrote it there on the rush of the moment but this is surely a much better place for comments.

I understand you did this as an exploratory experiment and I commend you for your hands on approach. I wonder if you read the comments made in the Mizuno Replication thread about the annealing of the palladium rod for making it softer and avoid it scrubbing Nickel off the mesh (which was a problem some replicators reported). I think that what Edmund Storms recommends is precisely going to have the same effect.

But allow me to back to mention that is not only the palladium that needs to be free from oxydes but also the Nickel, and that’s what has been known since Thomas Graham did his hydrogen diffusion experiments, and that has also been mentioned as a key part of successful experiments, at least that I know of, by Piantelli, Parkhomov and Mizuno himself.

• Looking at Matt's graph, it seems to me that hydrogen was inserted before the "baseline" got stabilized... Doesn't that just void the whole experiment?

The pressure is also missing in the graph. We don't know what was in the reactor before hydrogen H/D ?? was added. Of course the hydrogen atmosphere behaves quite different from a regular atmosphere as hydrogen is not a "normal" gas!

• Curbina - thanks for messaging, I appreciate having the opportunity for discussion.

I did follow the comments about annealing and I did actually try this in my experiment (although I didn't report it in my video - you can see all the details here https://gitlab.com/mklilley/lenr/issues/1). Once I annealed, I got a purple layer which I subsequently sanded off. From my chats with Ed, I now think that this palladium oxide layer is actually what I want to rub onto the nickel. Apparently, it is easily reduced by hydrogen and will form a nice fresh Pd layer free of contamination and therefore ready to accept hydrogen.

Regarding the nickel oxides - isn't the idea that burnishing will physically remove the oxide and allow the palladium to make a direct contact with the nickel?

• Wyttenbach Hi. There was nothing else inside the reactor, I vacuumed out all the air. See

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Curbina - thanks for messaging, I appreciate having the opportunity for discussion.

I did follow the comments about annealing and I did actually try this in my experiment (although I didn't report it in my video - you can see all the details here https://gitlab.com/mklilley/lenr/issues/1). Once I annealed, I got a purple layer which I subsequently sanded off. From my chats with Ed, I now think that this palladium oxide layer is actually what I want to rub onto the nickel. Apparently, it is easily reduced by hydrogen and will form a nice fresh Pd layer free of contamination and therefore ready to accept hydrogen.

Regarding the nickel oxides - isn't the idea that burnishing will physically remove the oxide and allow the palladium to make a direct contact with the nickel?

It is one of the hypothesis, indeed, but Ni-H systems have worked without Palladium if one credits Piantelli, Focardi and Parkhomov.

• It is one of the hypothesis, indeed, but Ni-H systems have worked without Palladium if one credits Piantelli, Focardi and Parkhomov.

Nowhere near as well, judging from the results reported by Patterson, Takahashi and Mizuno. Multilayer metals with Ni and something else -- especially Pd -- seem to work best. Ni - Cu - Ni - Cu seems to work, which surprises me.

• Official Post

Nowhere near as well, judging from the results reported by Patterson, Takahashi and Mizuno. Multilayer metals with Ni and something else -- especially Pd -- seem to work best. Ni - Cu - Ni - Cu seems to work, which surprises me.

Yes, Thanks for bringing this up, I just am talking in the context of what Matt did in his exploration with Ni mesh rubbed with palladium and in a chamber with Hydrogen that showed no clear excess heat, all this done along the way to prepare for a Mizuno Analogue.

Be sure you do not expose the heavy water to air. It is hygroscopic. It will degrade in purity just from the air in the bottle, and if you leave the top off, that will happen quickly. Bockris and others used IV bags to store it, as I recall. Good pont jed, but happily the hydrogen generator is a sealed system.

How much KOH this smart young guy is going to add into his heavy water before electrolysis?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.